FEB
2001

Multihead Support in KDE 2.1

Bradley T Hughes has implemented multihead support for KDE 2.1, and is currently commiting the code. This is one fine feature masquerading as a bugfix but which should make a lot of people with multiple monitors quite happy.

Comments

Brad, you're my new hero!

I can now use KFM (as opposed to my hacked BlackBox window manager), and have all the nice things like the desktop, Alt-F2 launch support, etc...

ThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYou
ThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYou

Gonna go do some compilin' today...

Evan

By Evan "JabberWok... at Wed, 2001/02/07 - 6:00am

I can now use KFM (as opposed to my hacked BlackBox window manager)

Misnamigs aside, isn't that a bit ironic..:)

By blob at Wed, 2001/02/07 - 6:00am

Where can I see a screenshot?O a diagram?

By Soknet at Wed, 2001/02/07 - 6:00am

Great :)

By Zeljko Vukman at Wed, 2001/02/07 - 6:00am

This is a feature that kept my company from using KDE on our desktops. And now
that we are entrechec in SawFish and Gnome
It will probably stay that way. I really like
KDE and KDE2 but I never understood why no
multihead support.

By Tim BRandt at Wed, 2001/02/07 - 6:00am

It's a pitty that gnome only ships as ROM-modules so you never ever are able to switch back to KDE without trashing your hardware.

By Lenny at Wed, 2001/02/07 - 6:00am

what are you talking about???????????

By emmanuel at Wed, 2001/02/07 - 6:00am

He's either playing dumb or trying to flame/troll.
The latter is more likely, considering how many flamers and trolls are travelling around these days.

By Anonymous at Wed, 2001/02/07 - 6:00am

Geez, he makes an obviously sarcastic comment about the original commenter's irrational fear of trying to install something different, and people somehow manage to misunderstand him. That doesn't make him a troll.

By ac at Wed, 2001/02/07 - 6:00am

oooops!
you're obviously right.. my mistake :O(
as was said, trolls are frequent so..
sorry about that..

Emmanuel

By emmanuel at Fri, 2001/02/09 - 6:00am

yea... umm... what the hell are you talking about?

By Roger at Wed, 2001/02/07 - 6:00am

Umm.. ditto that.

By Darrell Esau at Wed, 2001/02/07 - 6:00am

Yeah, dont you know that once you are entrenched in GNOME you cannot change to another desktop?

By ac at Wed, 2001/02/07 - 6:00am

I was using Gnome, however when KDE 2.0 arrived, it became clear it was time to move to KDE.

By Prefers KDE 2 at Wed, 2001/02/07 - 6:00am

What the hell are you talking about? I have 3 virtual desktops in Gnome here and I can switch between them easily using the Gnome Pager!

By bd at Fri, 2001/02/09 - 6:00am

I was joking. Being a bit sarcastic. I was also implying desktop environment, not desktop screen.

By ac at Sat, 2001/02/10 - 6:00am

fine. this is indeed great news. my g400 is awaiting this feature for a long time now...

but, will it really ship with 2.1 final ?

(read some confusing mails elsewhere about codefreeze).

By guenther at Wed, 2001/02/07 - 6:00am

it will ship in 2.1 final (as it is bugfix ;o) ). actually the mailing-list was quite funny to read there: yes! look at this! i found a bug-report for this!
Therefore obviously it's a bug we *need* to correct, not a new feature ;o)

Anyway.. good news.. but does kde already have xinerama support?

By emmanuel at Wed, 2001/02/07 - 6:00am

My G400 is so excited about this!
Goodbye Windows!

By reihal at Wed, 2001/02/07 - 6:00am

Does "Multihead" mean Xinerama or mirrored-display (same thing displayed on two monitors) or something else?

By Joe Dorita at Wed, 2001/02/07 - 6:00am

Neither.

Multihead is a general term to mean the support of several monitors. But there are two ways of doing that.

The simplest one (NO xinerama) is one X display per monitor. e.g. you can do
xterm -display :0.0 -> goes on the first monitor
xterm -display :0.1 -> goes on the 2nd
etc... but you can't move a window from a monitor to another.

The other one, xinerama, is all the monitors merged into one large X display. E.g. you can freely move one window from a monitor to another.

Xinerama is already working for KDE 2.1 (and every version of KDE) as it doesn't require anything special from the application. It just displays on something big.

As I understand this patch, it means the support of several displays, which is really nice to have as well. (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

By Guillaume at Fri, 2001/02/09 - 6:00am

KDE 2.1 is working with Xinerama, however
only on one monitor. You needed a second
multihead aware WM (like the awfull e) to
be able to use both screens.

However, I have compiled everything, put
enableMultihead=true in Kdeglobals, but I
still see no difference. (my xinerama
works with e).

By desperate at Fri, 2001/02/09 - 6:00am

If it's working only on one monitor, then it means you're not using xinerama :-), just basic multihead.

Try startx +xinerama

By Guillaume Laurent at Fri, 2001/02/09 - 6:00am

Puh :) - now I realized, that I wasnt using Xinerama with e. It seems to have automagically
detected the second display and extended itself to it, opening a second window manager (or whatever).

But now I fear that my KDE compilation is broken, because it doesnt seem to be aware of xinerama at all. It opens applications between the two monitors and maximises across both screens. The panel is stretched to the second display, but doesnt show up there, so I cant use the left side, no edge resistance...

If its not my compilation: Is it possible to open a second KDE instance in the second monitor in basic multihead, not using xinerama?

By desperate at Fri, 2001/02/09 - 6:00am

By desperate at Fri, 2001/02/09 - 6:00am

Thank you! My G400 will be pleased. I've been trying to run Enlightenment w/ KDE 2.1 in order to get some multi-head awareness, but have run into numerous problems w/ virtual desktops working right between the two. Bummer. I liked the KDE/E combo.

By Chardros at Wed, 2001/02/07 - 6:00am

Awesome!!!!

xinerama with KDE 2.0.1 is useable but this will be great!!!

You're the hero for the day Bradley!

By Darrell Esau at Wed, 2001/02/07 - 6:00am

Is it xinerama? Or is it just two seperate desktops?

Anyway, multihead support is great. Up until now, I have been running KDE2 on my primary screen and fvwm2 on my secondary screen. It works, but it isn't pretty, offcourse.

By Erik Hensema at Wed, 2001/02/07 - 6:00am

Xinerama.

By Darrell Esau at Wed, 2001/02/28 - 6:00am

OK OK, multihead support is great.

But... what IS multihead?

By Anonymous at Wed, 2001/02/07 - 6:00am

some matrox cards (i don't think other manufacturors support that?) have two video outputs.
one for a normal monitor, some for a TFT/flat screen/TV. I hear recent one support two monitors as well.
Of course this is way cool, and different from Xinerama, which is having two monitors with *two* video cards.

Hope this helps,

Emmanuel

By emmanuel at Fri, 2001/02/09 - 6:00am

No, xinerama is a form of multihead merging several physical displays into a single logical one.

Two monitors on two videocards is basic multihead.

By Guillaume Laurent at Sat, 2001/02/10 - 6:00am

That's pretty cool. But can you make this work for only one monitor? I really can't afford a second one (+ a new graphic card) apart from not having enough space on my (physical) desktop anyway...

By Anonymous at Wed, 2001/02/07 - 6:00am

Umm... I suppose it might be possible, but it would certainly be pointless. This isn't about virtual desktops or the like, it's solely about supporting multiple physical monitors correctly (not opening windows with odd overlaps across the boundary, etc). So, if you don't have a multihead setup, it means nothing at all to you.

By Kevin Puetz at Wed, 2001/02/07 - 6:00am

Hi,

I have compiled the CVS from 7/2.
The code is there.
now: where do I have to put enableMultihead?

Thank you very much for your answer.

By desperate at Fri, 2001/02/09 - 6:00am

look at .kde*/share/config/kdeglobals:

[X11]
enableMultihead=false

By KDE User at Sun, 2001/02/11 - 6:00am

I assume this will fix the bug when running KDE apps remotely, the apps they spawn sometimes decide to appear on the local console instead of the remote host that should be getting them. (For example, viewing an attachment in kmail).

By Gene Scott at Fri, 2001/02/09 - 6:00am

who do i get anti-aliasing working , !?! , is this working with multihead too ???

do i have to recompile something or does it work out of the box

By x at Sat, 2001/02/10 - 6:00am

I've got KDE 2.1 beta2 running with xinerama and 2 screens on a Matrox G450. Will this patch recognize the two screens of my desktop and maximize a window only on one screen? Can windows be aligned at both sides of each screen?

Thanks

By Frank Schröder at Mon, 2001/02/12 - 6:00am

hmmm, multihead is great, i'm running kde 2.1 in xinerama mode. i tried to patch the source rpms, for kdelibs it worked, but i couldn't get
the kdebase package to compile, did anyone make it ?

distrib.: redhat 6.2

Uli.

By Uli Suppa at Thu, 2001/02/15 - 6:00am

I am currently running multihead on my linux box with 2 video cards; a radeon 32mb and an xpert98 16mb. It locks up KDE on initialization and works well until I run an app on Gnome. Any ideas what I might have configured wrong?

By Craig Buckley at Wed, 2002/09/25 - 5:00am

Hi, I am fairly new to KDE, and I have a Geforce 4 ti 4400, and It has support for two monitors, and I was just wondering if there was a patch or a program so I can have dual monitor w/o having to buy a second video card? If anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated. Thx

Eric (taxidriver)