AUG
2001

KDE 2.2 Ships (Visit an FTP Server Near You)

After some delay caused by a severe hardware failure on KDE's ftp server,
the KDE Project has announced
the official release of KDE 2.2. This release brings a lot of goodies,
including: faster startup times (using the experimental
objprelink
method
) and performance; numerous improvements to HTML rendering
and JavaScript support; the addition of IMAP support (including SSL and
TLS) to KMail; a new plugin-based print architecture with integrated
filter and page layout capabilities; a number of new plugins for Konqueror
(including a Babelfish translator, an image gallery generator, an HTML
validator and a web archiver); native iCalendar support in KOrganizer; and
a new personalization wizard. Compaq
has also announced the addition of KDE to
Tru64. Time to tell the boss to forget XP, and use KDE (hmmmm, back in my college days that would have made a nice chant: 'Forget XP, use KDE', . . .).

Comments

Does anyone know where I could find KDE 2.2 packets from RH 6.2 ?

By Robert at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

As the person who made the KDE 2.1.1 packages for RedHat 6.x, I can say the job wasn't too hard: I just rebuilt the RedHat 7.x SRPMS (with a few minor modifications). I would venture that porting KDE 2.2 might be a little more difficult because it looks like that it requires more prerequisite packages not included in rh6.x. Also consider that koffice 1.1 currently won't build with rh6.x's egcs compiler.

That being said, I probably won't be doing the same for KDE 2.2 as I've almost completely upgraded all my machines to rh7.1 (and you should too (-; ). Anyway, most likely, in order for rh6.x RPMS to appear, someone will have to volunteer to do it. Any takers?

For more background and info on how to become a "packager", see "KDE Package Policy Explaned" at:

By Rex Dieter at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

If someone does do it I'll be very happy. I tried compiling the SRPMS and got nowhere, tho my system is a bit patchy.

By Gabriel Golden at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

> koffice 1.1 currently won't build with rh6.x's egcs compiler...

Almost... IIRC, it's KChart and the Quattro import filter for KSpread that won't compile through gcc 2.91 (which RH-6.2 provides). The rest of KOffice compiles fine.

By Paul Ahlquist at Thu, 2001/08/16 - 5:00am

i try to thank in this way to all developer of kde for this great work

greetings
harald

By harald at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

Dank an alle KDE-Entwickler für die Arbeit.
Eine feine Benutzerumgebung :-))
other languages? ;-)

By Thorsten Schnebeck at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

un grand bravo à toute l'équipe de développement de KDE. C'est un produit exceptionnel et je trouve dommage qu'il ne soit pas plus soutenu par l'industrie ( je pense tout particulièrement à Sun qui à choisi Gnome comme future desktop... )

Merci à tous.

By Renault JOHN at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

GNOME is not that bad!

By Rajan Rishyakaran at Fri, 2001/08/24 - 5:00am

Obrigado a todos os programadores e contribuidores do KDE pelo seu trabalho excepcional :-)

By Ricardo Correia at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

Muchisimas gracias a todos los programadores de KDE por el trabajo desarrollado. Habeis creado un entorno de trabajo para el usuario de la mas alta escuela!!

By Luis Miguel Die... at Thu, 2001/08/16 - 5:00am

Bedankt KDE ontwikkelaars voor dit prachtig programma. Ik ben nu volledig M$ vrij :-)

By weda at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

Mi agradeciemiento a todos los desarrolladores y aquellos que hayan contribuido en KDE. Un excelente trabajo.

By ViRgiLiO at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

Does anyone know if there are any slackware packages available? I would much rather do a simple upgradepkg than compile the whole thing from the source.

By Elliott at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

yeah, i'd like them too :)
i'd compile it my-self but it doesn't compile on slack8.0 just tried to do this in 7.1 and it worked well, but not on the 8. compiling kde was one of the things i liked most :) but now it is not :(

By skinncode at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

What was your problem compiling with slack 8? I did a fresh install of slack 8 and compiled kde 2.2 without problems

// Tony

By Tony at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

if you had trouble compiling it it's probably due to the fact that slack 8 doesn't have /opt/kde/lib in the /etc/ld.so.conf, so try adding that line and running ldconfig and then compiling it again.

By Elliott at Thu, 2001/08/16 - 5:00am

k, seems i found them :)
check this:

it's strange that the creation date of these packages is 08-Aug-2001 but i hope that it'll be ok :)

By skinncode at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

Hi...

Yeah KDE 2.2 for Slackware 8.0 at http://hal.astr.lu.lv/pub/linux/Slackware/kde-2.2/

Well I found this site accidentally...but I 've downloaded KDE packages from the site and everything is fine...but before that I've had removed (uninstall) the KDE 2.1.x packages first.

Now I think I'm one of the slacker with KDE 2.2 without compiling it by myself.

Best regards..

By Linuz at Mon, 2001/08/27 - 5:00am

The caldera RPMs are broken.

Don't try it!

Missing kdeconfig, and several libraries.

I have to reinstall because of.

That's sad. Usually Caldera beats the socks off RedHat when it comes to stability.

By Caldera User at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

Did you follow the README? We tested the RPMs with several install, and we didn't see problems. What is exactly going wrong?

By Matthias Hoelze... at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

Just installed it. Everything seems OK so far.

Question: Is Caldera rpm compiled with the optimal linker (objprelink)?

It seems a little faster than the 2.1.1 but not as significated as expected from objprelink hack.

Overall, it runs and looks great. You guys and gals did a great job.

By anh at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

Read at http://www.research.att.com/~leonb/objprelink/ the step-by-step instructions and compare the amount of different relocations given there with your installation using the provided script.

By Someone at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

For one thing, can't find "kdeconfig" when trying to install kdebase. It wasn't even on the ftp.kde.org site as of last night. This is OpenLinux 3.1.

By Caldera User at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

I am not the previous poster, but I can confirm that there are problems with the KDE 2.2 rpms for Caldera Workstation 3.1.

I installed them, made sure that anti-aliased fonts were turned on, and restarted. When anti-aliased fonts are turned on, it messes up the KDE environment... like it can't handle the new fonts. In many dialogs the lines of text overwrite each other and cause the controls to shrink to the point that everything is unusable. When I turn the anti-aliased fonts off, everything goes back to normal.

Please help? I can tell that the anti-aliased fonts will look BEAUTIFUL when they work right, and I'm anxious to get it there. I've been waiting for this to happen to Linux for a long time...

By Bill at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

Caldera RPMs worked OK for me. I rebuilt the
RPMS anyway. However, I noticed that smb ioslave
is missing. In fact, I checked Suse kdelibs RPM,
and it does not have smb ioslave either.
Any ideas?

By Murat Eskiyerli at Thu, 2001/08/16 - 5:00am

Then you don't have vector fonts installed to show up for the normal stuff.
Anyway not the arial/helvetica/courier it searches for.

You can try to get something nice with editing the fonts from kcontrol, but you really need vector fonts first!

By Thomas Zander at Thu, 2001/08/16 - 5:00am

Will Anti-Aliasing be supported in this version? Also, will it work equally well for all Qt/KDE apps?
Finally, many of the international fonts did not look well on my machine. Of course, this is mostly xfs's responsibility, but I still wonder whether this can be helped.

By Uri at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

I don't see any reason why they would remove AA support from KDE 2.2. AA has been supported since KDE 2.1 (provided you use XFree4 and a video card the supports the Render extension).

By Rex Dieter at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

What about anti-aliasing of fonts in KDM? In 2.1 I used to 'export QT_XFT=true' in runlevel 5, and then KDM would give anti-aliased fonts. Now that doesn't appear to work. any ideas?

By Francis Sedgemore at Thu, 2001/08/16 - 5:00am

Quick idea;
what about selecting a vector font in the kcontrol module: system->login manager ?

Don't know though, I still run X3 ;)

By Thomas Zander at Thu, 2001/08/16 - 5:00am

I won't d/l it until i see it in screenshots. (I like to save time and expensive bandwidth)

By Rajan Rishyakaran at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

A funny thing is usally are the screenshots bigger than the app itself. Well not in this case but...

By AC at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

Plenty of screenshots are coming, but q threw some together a few weeks ago to show some of the newer features, and I quickly threw them up on this temporary site for convenience -- the text needs fixing and all that, but it's still good to get a quick idea of some things that have changed.

Be patient though, I hear a lot more cool stuff is coming!

By Navindra Umanee at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

Two questions: What is this in Sidebar TNG with the icon of Kdiskfree displaying an URL (shot 2)? And how do I set this funny "lined paper" background for Konsole's terminal emulator (shot 3)?

By Someone at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

Sidebar TNG button:
You can add your own buttons

Konsole:
Its a part of the Style

Qwertz

By anon at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

Question:
where can I get this window decoration similar do quartz? (quartz use squares instead of gears on right side of windows);

By Iuri Fiedoruk at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

It's an IceWM-Theme called "MenschMaschine" and is contained in the kdeartwork module.

By Someone at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

Thanks, I found it.
Those themes are so beautifull than I tought they where hardcoded.
Congrats to galliun, qwertz and all KDE team.

By Iuri Fiedoruk at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

Many thanks.

It was my pleasure making the IceWM theme importer. Enjoy!

By gallium at Thu, 2001/08/16 - 5:00am

We sure are enjoying it! It was an important step for KDE.

By matt at Thu, 2001/08/16 - 5:00am

whoa - beautiful!

Just one tip though - turn off the underlining of desktop icons and files. No other OS uses is - and for a good reason - it clutters and disturbs the image... (less is more).

By will at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

I agree, I turn off underlining *everywhere* even in my browser, it really seems to clutter up the interface. Unfortunately underlining seems to have crept back into Konqueror by default. It used to be hover AFAIK.

By Navindra Umanee at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

You can set this with Settings/Configure Konqueror then choose File Maganer/Apperance and deselect Underline Filenames .

and for the desktop rightclick it and choose Configure DEsktop and then Appearance.

...or did you mean that they should change the default settings? i'm all for that

By sabbo at Fri, 2001/08/17 - 5:00am

It would be nice if icon text could be rendered shadowed, like Windows XP can. That looks very nice imo.

By Jos Backus at Fri, 2001/08/17 - 5:00am

Thanks for the tip!!

While I like underline for web browing, I *hate* it for the desktop.

I'm all for changing the default setting for the desktop, for the browser I'm neutral..

Maybe some poll would be usefull.

By renox at Sat, 2001/08/18 - 5:00am

where can i find that theme (the one in most of the screenshots with the cool blue wallpaper) ?

By 3max at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

All the stuff comes with KDE 2.2
+ mosfets suff.

q

By anon at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

That's strange.... seems like dosen't come to me :(
What is the decoration name? I have here:

KDE2 Default
B II
IceWM
KDE 1
KStep
Laptop
Liquid
ModSystem
Mwm
Quartz
Redmond
RISC OS
System ++
Web

Maybe I missed some package on redhat 7.x rpms....(?)

By Iuri Fiedoruk at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

Its in Kdeartwork
IceWM Themes

q

By anon at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

ok, stupid newbie q. Is 'kdeartwork' an obvious feature in the look and feel section of the control panel? I think a problem I, and others, are having is that kdeartwork was not initially installed.

By kdeuser at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am