AUG
2001

KDE 2.2 Ships (Visit an FTP Server Near You)

After some delay caused by a severe hardware failure on KDE's ftp server,
the KDE Project has announced
the official release of KDE 2.2. This release brings a lot of goodies,
including: faster startup times (using the experimental
objprelink
method
) and performance; numerous improvements to HTML rendering
and JavaScript support; the addition of IMAP support (including SSL and
TLS) to KMail; a new plugin-based print architecture with integrated
filter and page layout capabilities; a number of new plugins for Konqueror
(including a Babelfish translator, an image gallery generator, an HTML
validator and a web archiver); native iCalendar support in KOrganizer; and
a new personalization wizard. Compaq
has also announced the addition of KDE to
Tru64. Time to tell the boss to forget XP, and use KDE (hmmmm, back in my college days that would have made a nice chant: 'Forget XP, use KDE', . . .).

Comments

Yep, I'm running it on Mandrake 8.0 right now. I had to uninstall some earler kde2.x rpm's, and get a few ones from mandrake (I used cooker)

The packages I grabbed were:
libpcre0-3.4-3mdk
libpcre0-devel-3.4-3mdk
pcre-3.4-3mdk
Oh yeah, and I installed apmd too, but you might already have that installed.

he package I uninstalled wes
kdeaddutils-2.0-3mdk, but there might have been one or two more. Check rpm's output.

The Mandrake packages seem to come without objprelink (well, no massive speedups here at least). Defintiely snappier than before but, I'm going to see if I can't find some with objprelink

By Rikard Anglerud at Thu, 2001/08/16 - 5:00am

By Billy Nopants at Thu, 2001/08/16 - 5:00am

I get "The https protocol isn't supported" (in GERMAN :-)

So I can't access my dri.sourceforge.net account any longer.

SuSE Linux 7.1
Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Dieter

By Dieter Nützel at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

Too old version of openssl. You need at least 0.9.6, which can be found somewhere on SuSE ftp-server.

By Someone at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

Thanks,

I had it but I've upgraded to the latest SuSE 7.1 one, now.

SunWave1>rpm -qa|grep ssl
openssl-0.9.6a-42
openssl-doc-0.9.6a-42
openssl-devel-0.9.6a-42

Didn't help :-(

If I do some little diagnostics I think only libkssl is involved?

SunWave1>l /opt/kde2/lib/libkssl.*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1001 Aug 10 22:22 /opt/kde2/lib/libkssl.la
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Jul 11 17:35 /opt/kde2/lib/libkssl.so -> libkssl.so.2.0.2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Jul 11 17:35 /opt/kde2/lib/libkssl.so.2 -> libkssl.so.2.0.2
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 172370 Aug 10 22:22 /opt/kde2/lib/libkssl.so.2.0.2

Latest SuSE 7.1 KDE-2.2.

-Dieter

By Dieter Nützel at Thu, 2001/08/16 - 5:00am

This is intentional so far. Since several users have already updated their OpenSSL package to a security fixed, but this version is not binary compatible to older version (the several 0.9.6* version are not binary compatible to a different 0.9.6*) the SSL support has been disabled to protect against crashes for SuSE < 7.2.

I will build a kdelibs version which include a OpenSSL version in the next days. ( it was a suggestion from Dre).

By Adrian at Thu, 2001/08/16 - 5:00am

Thanks a lot, Adrian!

If I only could my XFree 4.1.0 (SuSE 7.1 update) plus DRI running together with the new kdm...

-Dieter

By Dieter Nützel at Mon, 2001/08/27 - 5:00am

hi,
once again bing thanks to all kde developers for another great release.

...but i can't compile it on slack8.0. kdelibs compiles fine, but the kdebase is a bit problematic. first thing is kpersonalizer.
lots of "undefined symbols" and looks like that
*.cpp files are empty (well only

#include
#include "somefilename.moc"

in them. should it be this way?
same thing in ksysguard and kscreensaver.

this would be not a problem to me. i could live without kpersonaizer and ssavers and i use ksysguard rarely, but thats not it.

so i ignore make errors (make -i) and install it anyways. i startx & startkde and while loading
i get segfaulted: kded, kontify also lotsa problems with DCOP communication. then i can't go to control center (half of modules have undefined symbols), konqueror crashes a lot, etc, etc, etc...thats very strange.
anyway i hope that some1 had the same problem and solved it

TIA
utopia

k now here's what i use:
egcs-2.91.66

By utopia at Wed, 2001/08/15 - 5:00am

As a slack user you probably know this, but the ecgs fork was moved back into gcc (the Gnu Compiler Collection), as a result, kde may not be trying very hard to support egcs. Try putting g++ on your system, perhaps one of the newer 2.x versions, and compiling it.

Good luck, though!

latest (2.1.1)

By wireless at Thu, 2001/08/16 - 5:00am

I am new to Linux.

When I wanted to install Ximian GNOME, I became
superuser and simply typed:

lynx -source http://go-gnome.com/ | sh

Is there a similar script for KDE 2.2?

By NB at Thu, 2001/08/16 - 5:00am

>> Is there a similar script for KDE 2.2?

In theory, yes. You see, KDE lets the individual distributions package KDE, rather than doing it themselves. This leads to some nice benefits down the road.

For instance, if you're using debian, you might type somthing like "apt-get kde", or if you're using a rpm based distro, you might click on the "Upgrade" or "Updates" icon on your desktop, and choose KDE.

Basically, since the distro maker packaged it, they should provide it in their normal "update" channel. The upside is that you don't have to learn a new way to install it - it's the same way you install all upgrades and patches. The downside, of course, is that you have to know what to do for your distro.

Evan

By Evan "JabberWok... at Thu, 2001/08/16 - 5:00am

I use Redhat 6.2 with kernel 2.2.19. So, I'm left with compiling the binary myself.

Is there any order in which one needs to do the compile?

Also when I compile the kdesdk I get the following message:
checking for KDE... configure: error:
in the prefix, you've chosen, are no KDE headers installed. This will fail.
So, check this please and use another prefix!

What does this mean?

thanks,
-Mathi

By mathi at Thu, 2001/08/16 - 5:00am

I've now compiled the KDE Source and installed them. But when I do a startkde I get the following...

xsetroot: unable to open display ''
xset: unable to open display ""
ksplash: cannot connect to X server
Aborting. $DISPLAY is not set.
Aborting. $DISPLAY is not set.
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpected.
ksmserver: cannot connect to X server
connect() failed: : Connection refused

I run Redhat6.2 with gcc 2.95.3 & XFree4.1. Do I need to make any modifications? Any help???

-Mathi

By mathi at Thu, 2001/08/16 - 5:00am

To start KDE, you need to
use X.

Also see the FAQ about this question:

By Moritz Moeller-... at Thu, 2001/08/16 - 5:00am

thanks for the reply. I got it working. KDE is awsome...

-Mathi

By mathi at Thu, 2001/08/16 - 5:00am

i don't understand your reply please help me

By wissasm at Wed, 2004/05/19 - 5:00am

hi
i am installing koffice on kde 1.1.1 on redhat 6.2
i have intalled qt but when i configure kofiice i get the same

hecking for KDE... configure: error:
in the prefix, you've chosen, are no KDE headers installed. This will fail.
So, check this please and use another prefix!

if u fixed ur prob. then u can help me.what has to be done

1.did u install kde2 or u made it work on kde 1.1.1?

do mail me

regards
anuj

By anuj at Mon, 2002/03/18 - 6:00am

I have the same problem, I downloaded the kdevelop-2.0.2 and did a configure and I got the same error checking for KDE... configure: error:
in the prefix, you've chosen, are no KDE headers installed. This will fail.
So, check this please and use another prefix!
Were u able to fix the problem

Regards
Sherif

By Sherif Hammouda at Mon, 2002/04/15 - 5:00am

I had the same problems trying to build several programs.
In the end i fixed it by installing the kdelibs-devel RPM (Redhat 7.3).

Hope that works for you too

Cheers

By Lachlan Laycock at Sat, 2002/05/11 - 5:00am

Thanks,

This also helped in SuSE 8.1 installing the remote desktop package.

Cheers,

FT

By Frank Thomas at Fri, 2003/01/31 - 6:00am

works also for me in Suse 9.0

By Alejandro Paal at Sat, 2004/04/10 - 5:00am

This also helped me. Thank you.

js

By Joseph Semlak at Sat, 2004/07/31 - 5:00am

Worked in Ubuntu 6.06 while trying to compile Amarok from source.
Thanks for the help. This has been bugging me all day.

By zela at Mon, 2006/12/04 - 6:00am

hoho, this worked for me too, on openSUSE 10.2

By Dennis.se at Wed, 2007/01/10 - 6:00am

Worked on compiling amarok from source on ubuntu for me, as well .. THANX

By Pål Hatlem at Fri, 2007/02/16 - 6:00am

THANKS

This was just the fix for configuring kfolding on Kubuntu 7.04

By booga at Mon, 2007/06/04 - 5:00am

w00t! Thanks this helped me too. Trying to get kdenlive compiled from source on Kubuntu Feisty. :)

By Liam at Tue, 2007/06/26 - 5:00am

thanks that helped me to compile kfreeflight on suse 10.3

By pjhoyer at Sat, 2008/05/17 - 5:00am

Ya, This is worked fine for me in Suse 9.0 OS

By rajesh at Thu, 2004/09/02 - 5:00am

dont work in mepis2004... any tips?

By Elv13 at Thu, 2005/02/10 - 6:00am

Helped - Debian sarge (installing Umbrello 1.4.1)

By Hand at Thu, 2005/07/14 - 5:00am

it also works on suse 10.0

thanks

By gijs at Sat, 2006/04/22 - 5:00am

worked for fedora 9

By hkernel at Sat, 2008/09/27 - 5:00am

Try this :

find / -name "kapplication.h"

then ./configure --prefix=/path/to/kdeheaders

hope this helps.

By Mohamad Hassan ... at Tue, 2002/09/03 - 5:00am

Same problem with Debian Woody, but I found the kde headers in one of this packages... But I don't know which one...

Release Package (size)

stable kdebase-dev 4:2.2.2-14.7 (46.4k)
KDE core applications (development files)
stable kdelibs-dev 4:2.2.2-13.woody.8 (725.5k)
KDE core libraries (development files)
stable libkonq-dev 4:2.2.2-14.7 (44.6k)
Core libraries for KDE's file manager (development headers)

By Debian user at Fri, 2003/11/07 - 6:00am

It's the first one, kdebase-dev.

By Ville Kumpulainen at Sun, 2004/01/25 - 6:00am

thanks kdebase-dev works indeed.

By mat at Wed, 2004/04/28 - 5:00am

This also worked for me when trying to install Kmess SVN. Thanks

By Fred at Wed, 2008/01/30 - 6:00am

I followed your guide to finding kheaders.h but to no avail!

I bought a Cherry CyMotion keyboard and am trying to compile the source for an old SGI machine, a i486 I believe, that I am running Mabdrake 10.1 with the latest KDE.

I ran
./configure --prefix=/usr/include/kheaders.h and
./configure --prefix=/usr/include/ both to no avail

I have installed as many header and devel packages as I can find in Mandrake package manager and still the ./confie says it can't find the KDE headers.

Can you help me find them, install them (if not already) and point my ./configure in the right location. Thanku.

By THIBOLOT at Fri, 2004/12/10 - 6:00am

I followed your guide to finding kheaders.h but to no avail!

I bought a Cherry CyMotion keyboard and am trying to compile the source for an old SGI machine, a i486 I believe, that I am running Mandrake 10.1 with the latest KDE.

I ran
./configure --prefix=/usr/include/kapplication.h and
./configure --prefix=/usr/include/ both to no avail

By THIBOLOT at Fri, 2004/12/10 - 6:00am

I have the same problem with Cherry CyMotion and Mandrake 10.1.
Has anyone solved the problem?

By J at Sun, 2004/12/26 - 6:00am

i had the same issue compiling anything! i seem to have now solved it by using --pref="/usr/include/" but i did notice my kde libs are in /usr/include/kde, maybe your environment is more picky then mine? might be worth a go?

By neil at Mon, 2005/05/02 - 5:00am

I have a similar problem (I'm running Slackware 9.3).
I've tried Mohamad's suggestion and found kapplication.h in /opt/kde/include.
But when I tried ./configure --prefix=/opt/kde/include I got the following error:

checking for KDE... configure: error:
in the prefix, you've chosen, are no KDE libraries installed. This will fail.
So, check this please and use another prefix!

What else can I do?

By Gabi at Mon, 2005/08/29 - 5:00am

For mandriva 2005 the following did the trick.

urpmi kdelibs-devel

By Casey Watson at Wed, 2006/01/25 - 6:00am

I tryed the mandriva 2005 trick (above) and it didn't work. Urpmi says no package named kdelibs-devel. I'm having the same issue. What can I do?

By Cassio Lima at Mon, 2006/01/30 - 6:00am

se hai mandriva 2006 installa libkde4-devel

By Angelo at Wed, 2008/02/27 - 6:00am

I am having the same problem in redhat 7.3 (trying to install apollon-0.9.3) . so, as much as i hate trying to use rpms, I tried installing kdebase-devel-3.0.0.....rpm . This needs kdebase and kdebase needs about 30 other things which I dont believe.
error: Failed dependencies:
lm_sensors is needed by kdebase-3.0.0-12
libcrypto.so.2 is needed by kdebase-3.0.0-12
libDCOP-gcc2.96.so.4 is needed by kdebase-3.0.0-12
libkabc-gcc2.96.so.1 is needed by kdebase-3.0.0-12
libkatepartinterfaces-gcc2.96.so is needed by kdebas . . . . .

I have been building things myself for a while would this have anything to do with it?

By Tim at Mon, 2004/05/10 - 5:00am

I have the same probleme with kde please check me the solution .I need the solution quickly please i can't works without the solutions .I use Debian 3.0 please help me

By wissasm at Wed, 2004/05/19 - 5:00am