SEP
2001

KMail 1,000,000,000th Second Bug Looms

If you did not heed our warning from six months ago and are still using KMail < 1.0.29.1 (from KDE 1.x), you are advised to please upgrade to KDE 2.2 (or KDE 2.1.x) immediately. In about a week the bizarre KMail 1,000,000,000th second bug will strike, which can cause corruption of your mail folders. Details about the bug are available here.

The KMail developers recommend that users update to KDE 2.2, which includes a newer KMail with many other bugs fixed and many new features. According to KMail developer Daniel Naber,

The new version of KMail will use old mail files without problems.
However, once the new version is installed one should not switch back to
the old version because of changes in the index files and configuration
file. Just to be sure, we recommend that users make a backup of their mail
folder (~/Mail) and compress all folders before switching to the new
version.

Comments

Thanks buddy. Your suggestion worked.

By Steve at Wed, 2007/03/28 - 5:00am

Thank you so much kenole, your suggestion has solved my problem sending emails which has stumped me for 5 days. My internet provider Xtra has just almalgamated with Yahoo and set up this Bubble webmail and since then many Xtra users have been unable to send or receive emails. Their help desk failed to resolve the issue ( once you could actually get through to a human) so cheers, I'm delighted. Gabby

By Gabby at Tue, 2007/08/21 - 5:00am

i m enable to understand what to do

By Raj at Tue, 2006/01/03 - 6:00am

Am travelling & currently unable to send e-mail & "530 authentication required" keeps coming up. Am using Microsoft Outlook & have never had this before.

Is there anyone out there that can help me?

Distressed Ian

By Ian at Sat, 2006/04/15 - 5:00am

i get this too and it sucks! plz somebody helllp mee!!

By Surfingpikachao at Wed, 2006/05/10 - 5:00am

Look at the reply called "I Got It" from Lilly.
It solved my problem also.
In Outlook Express, select Tools, select Accounts..., choose Mail tab, select mail provider and click the Properties button. On the Server tab, check the checkbox for "My Server requires authorization".
Retry sending your mail. It shoulds work fine now.

good luck...

By BR at Fri, 2006/07/07 - 5:00am

Hey thank you. It was a little different on my application of Outlook but I got to where I need to find that box to check. Worked great!!

By greg at Thu, 2006/08/24 - 5:00am

Yikes! I'm in Microsoft Outlook..can you tell me where I can find the box to check? That error is killin' me!

By Amy at Tue, 2006/10/24 - 5:00am

for Outlook (non Express):
Tools.....Options......Mail Setup......Send/Receive......Edit......Account Properties........Outgoing Server...then click the "My outgoing sever (SMTP) requires authentication.

By stealth at Mon, 2006/10/30 - 6:00am

This one for DON worked for me....
Go to Tools->E-mail Accounts, then View or change existing e-mail accounts.
Highlight the account to change, then click Change button.
Click More Settings...
Select Outgoing Server tab. Check My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.
Click Log on using, then enter your User Name and Password.
NOTE: Use the same User name and Password that you would use if you are connecting directly to your Service Provider (for example, www.comcast.net would be the place to go to get your email if you have COMCAST service). If you can successfully log in to your service provider, place the same User Name and Password in the box for Log on using. You should leave Remember password checked, but do not check the box for Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA).

By stealth at Mon, 2006/10/30 - 6:00am

Thank you so much. This fixed my problem.

By Anne at Thu, 2007/12/06 - 6:00am

Brilliant thanks so much

By james at Tue, 2008/12/16 - 6:00am

Thanks Alot, For a month or so since I re-did my e-mail I havent been able to send e-mails to anyone. I checked the box that said requires authorization. It works fine now. THANKS ALOT!!

By Jamie at Thu, 2007/08/30 - 5:00am

I just wanted to thank those that took time to provide the answer. I've been struggling with this for weeks and Yahoo! was no help.

By Bill Davies at Tue, 2007/02/20 - 6:00am

I'm so glad I found this site. Thanks! This also worked for Outlook.

By Erica at Thu, 2007/05/24 - 5:00am

You guys are great-thanks for the help!!!

By chris at Wed, 2007/06/06 - 5:00am

Thanks,It worked for me......

By pramod Deshmane at Tue, 2007/08/14 - 5:00am

thanks, this did the trick

By andy at Tue, 2007/10/02 - 5:00am

ThX a lot :)

By sochan at Sat, 2008/05/03 - 5:00am

Thanks you SO MUCH for this help, I have been trying unsuccessfully for two days to work this out!

By kay at Tue, 2008/09/02 - 5:00am

When you are at home, you send and receive via the POP server. When you are on the road, you have to use the SMTP server. Usually the SMTP server requires authentication. I can help you if you have Outlook (but it may be slightly different when using Outlook Express).

Go to Tools->E-mail Accounts, then View or change existing e-mail accounts.
Highlight the account to change, then click Change button.
Click More Settings...
Click Log on using, then enter your User Name and Password.

I hope this helps.

Don

By Don Ethen at Tue, 2006/05/23 - 5:00am

THANKS DON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!

YOU ROCK MAN:D

By Gustavo at Mon, 2006/06/12 - 5:00am

Don,

Thank you for the help. Yahoo/Microsoft sent me a note "The setting is controlled by the check box 'Logon to the incoming server before sending mail'. which of course disable the logon information to be entered - and never worked. Your note made it work! Thanks and let me repeat another relieved user's comments - YOU ROCK!

Gabriella

By Gabriella at Thu, 2006/06/29 - 5:00am

Go to Tools->E-mail Accounts, then View or change existing e-mail accounts.
Highlight the account to change, then click Change button.
Click More Settings...
Click Log on using, then enter your User Name and Password.

I hope this helps.

Don

By Don Ethen at Tue, 2006/05/23 - 5:00am

I have the same problem, using Outlook, and yet your answer hasn't fixed the issue, I am using a vodafone GSM card, and I have tried the software on two new laptops, both receive but won't send, perhaps the problem lies with MS Outlook/Express? Do you know how to contact them?
Thanks for your help

By Richard Ahl at Tue, 2006/08/22 - 5:00am

cannot send through incredimail

By Robert.Elliott at Mon, 2006/11/06 - 6:00am

hi friends.. previously i was also having same problem and i got solved by carrying following procedures...

log on to ms outlook

go to TOOLS->email account-> change existing account->more setting->outgoing server->check my outgoing server requaire authentification->than check use same setting as my incoming mail server...

hope u got the solution...

By ASHOK at Tue, 2007/01/09 - 6:00am

everyone try this, it worked for me thanks

By bb at Tue, 2007/04/17 - 5:00am

just took a long time to find it laid out properly!! Thankyouuuuuuuuuuuuu!

By Laura at Sun, 2007/09/30 - 5:00am

Why is this happening all of a sudden?

By wendy cawthray at Sun, 2007/02/11 - 6:00am

I am unable to sent my mails because of the error no. 530 authentication is required. Please help or provide authentication.

By Jayantibhai Patel at Fri, 2008/12/05 - 6:00am

I dont want to reply, or read other replies,, I want HELP! and the only help I can find is NOT in ENGLISH. UGH.... yes it's the same 530, requires authentication.... That and it will not connect me,,, always loggon error problems.....HEEEELLLLLLLLPPP

By A jackson at Fri, 2002/09/13 - 5:00am

Important: The Yahoo! Mail SMTP server now requires authentication. To turn this setting on, follow these steps:

From the Tools menu, choose "Accounts."
Select the "Mail" tab.
Select your Yahoo! Mail account and click "Properties."
Click on the "Servers" tab.
Check the box next to "My Server Requires Authentication."
Please make sure that "Log on using Secure Password Authentication" is NOT checked.
Click "OK."

By just trying to help at Tue, 2002/11/05 - 6:00am

THANK U SO MUCH!!!! i spent an hour and a half on the phone with the people at sbc and they couldn't fix it! just goes to show how little they know! thanks again!

By Christina at Fri, 2002/11/15 - 6:00am

ok i cannot sent for the life of me.it want auth i have tried to do what u say but as iam completly useless on comp iam making some mistake i would be really greatful if u could tell me in real simple terms how i can do this please.

By taz at Mon, 2003/05/19 - 5:00am

appreciate it! it's always nice to find something the works and is helpful on the internet. thanks, Tim

By Tim at Mon, 2003/06/16 - 5:00am

OK Thanks this was very helpfull for me.

By Timal at Sun, 2003/10/26 - 5:00am

I was able to resolve my issue from your reply to someone else. When I put a check mark in the box next to "My Server Requires Authentication." and clicked OK I was able to send email. Thank you for your help.

By Samuel at Sun, 2006/02/05 - 6:00am

My understanding is that you have to purchase Yahoo Mail Plus in order for it to work. I have worked on this for days and this is what I came up with.

By Patti at Fri, 2006/09/15 - 5:00am

thanks u helped me out big time

By justine at Mon, 2007/01/01 - 6:00am

Have the same problem. So far no help. What have you found?

By Nan at Tue, 2002/12/17 - 6:00am

Error Message: "The connection to the server has failed. Account 'mail.yourdomain.com', Server: 'mail.yourdomain.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10051, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E."

Cause/Description: The reason for this error is because many ISP's (Internet Service Providers) are blocking "Port 25" which is the port used to send email. They do this as a security precaution to protect against "spam" (unsolicited email). More and more ISP's are doing this everyday (none of us like spam!). Here are just a few of the major ISP's that block Port 25: Earthlink/Mindspring, AT&T, MSN, Verizon, Bellsouth, Roadrunner, and most cable and DSL companies.

Solution: The way around this is to set your SMTP settings to those of your ISP's. For example: "mail.cox.com" rather than "mail.yourdomain.com". After doing that, you will be sending mail though your ISP's servers rather than ours. Keep in mind that nothing else changes in the way your mail is delivered. Your "from" address and your "reply to" address will remain the same.

You will need to contact your ISP and ask for the "SMTP or out-going mail server address", to find out exactly what to replace mail.yourdomain.com with.

By Rajan at Tue, 2003/02/04 - 6:00am

I contacted my ISP provider and they said that I was using the proper the SMTP setting. They also said that they did not block port 25. I continue to get the same error message. I called MS thinking it could be a problem with Outlook express. They told me it was my ISP's problem, ISP tells me it is MS problem. HELP, PLEASE!!!

By sarah at Sat, 2003/03/15 - 6:00am

Sarah..I have exactly same problem and I would like to know how did u solve it?

By Kamal at Fri, 2003/03/21 - 6:00am

Hey there,

I was just at this website looking for a solution when I found it and I saw your post so I'd thought, being the good natured fella I am, I'd give you the solution to the problem as well.

I have DSL through COX COMMUNICATIONS. And they sent me a nice little e-mail the other day about SPAM that I breezed through and didn't really pay too much attention to. All of a sudden I couldn't send e-mail but, I could recieve it. No problem I thought...probably some glitch...I'll just restart my computer. And about 2 minutes later....I had a freshly rebooted computer with the same exact problem: I couldn't send mail. I figured it was something wrong with Yahoo!
Upon closer inspection in the e-mail I got from COX it was basically telling me that if you get your e-mail through a third party....like Yahoo!, Excite, MSN, AOL, etc and you get through e-mail programs like Outlook Express, Eudora, etc. that because of SPAM it is going to change the outgoing SMTP address so it cuts down on about 9/10 SPAMS. So since I have a Yahoo! account and because I have Outlook Express I had to change my outgoing SMTP to smtp.east.cox.net

I got that SMTP from the e-mail COX COMMUNICATIONS sent out to me. If you have COX COMMUNICATIONS as well you can try the above SMTP and see if it works. If not, then get in contact with your service provider and ask them what SMTP you can use to send e-mail.

If that doesn't work I suggest going to church and lighting a candle and pray to the computer gods that one day you'll be able to send mail again.

Seriously, I hope I've helped. Shoot me a holler if you've still got the same problem...

~

By <null> at Sat, 2003/06/21 - 5:00am

Chris
What happens in the instance that I use wanadoo for my mail server, and I use my neighbours wireless network which is yahoo and I get my emails via outlook express. I can receive mail but not send. I'll head off to church soon.

By Jules at Wed, 2006/03/08 - 6:00am

Well, first, COX COMMUNICATIONS is a Cable company, not DSL.

Second, a simple test will tell you if they are, in fact, blocking port 25.

Here is how to test it:
A. Go to Start -> Run -> type: cmd
B. When the Command prompt appears type: telnet 25
(include the spaces exactly as shown above) examples of server addresses are ones such as smtp.west.cox.net or smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com

C. Wait a few seconds. You should see the following: '220 ESMTP'. This means that it is not blocked.
D. If you do not see this message, your SMTP is being blocked.

If they ARE NOT blocking port 25, then you should be able to use whatever outgoing email address you want in OE, Oulook, Eudora, Mac Mail, etc.

If they ARE blocking port 25, then you could try changing your port, or just use the outgoing mail server settings for their network fot the outgoing side.

By Me at Sat, 2006/07/22 - 5:00am

Weird, but I am in VA and tried the .east. version above. No luck. Oddly, .west. worked. whatever. At least I have mail. THanks.

By Nacho at Fri, 2006/07/28 - 5:00am

Yes!!! Thank god I found this thread.. I just paid for the Yahoo pop access.. And I will admit as much as COX goes on and on (i have cox digital internet) about trying to block spam, I get more spam in my COX account than any other!! And, I have never used the emails for anything sometimes.. and the spam still got through.. I was fed up and emailed them about the problem, they bascially told me there was nothing they could do, so I moved on to Yahoo, I liked their service on the web and thought I would expand my mailbox and try the pop access out. Ok, so all is fine there, and I try to get it up and running, and I was having major SMTP problems, and I am in Cali, and after reading this I just entered the smtp.west.cox.net
people in the midwest, nebraska, etc, would use smtp.central.cox.net, and so on..

Good luck people..!

By sarah at Sat, 2003/08/16 - 5:00am

I was having the same problem with Outlook 6, and the solution (changing the smtp to cox) worked right away. Thanks for the help!

By jp at Mon, 2006/01/30 - 6:00am