SEP
2001

KMail 1,000,000,000th Second Bug Looms

If you did not heed our warning from six months ago and are still using KMail < 1.0.29.1 (from KDE 1.x), you are advised to please upgrade to KDE 2.2 (or KDE 2.1.x) immediately. In about a week the bizarre KMail 1,000,000,000th second bug will strike, which can cause corruption of your mail folders. Details about the bug are available here.

The KMail developers recommend that users update to KDE 2.2, which includes a newer KMail with many other bugs fixed and many new features. According to KMail developer Daniel Naber,

The new version of KMail will use old mail files without problems.
However, once the new version is installed one should not switch back to
the old version because of changes in the index files and configuration
file. Just to be sure, we recommend that users make a backup of their mail
folder (~/Mail) and compress all folders before switching to the new
version.

Comments

I am using Mozilla Build #2004083008
I get this error of "null byte in data" only when I try to send a Word file through the Comcast SMTP server. TXT, PDF, ZIP, etc., are just fine but not DOC.

It there is a requirement for authentication then be sure that big brother is watching.

By Bruce at Sun, 2004/09/05 - 5:00am

I'm having the exact same problem. Did you ever get it figured out?

By Bob Isman at Sun, 2004/11/14 - 6:00am

sdf

By asdf at Mon, 2004/09/20 - 5:00am

In reference to your mail , we would like bring to your attention that you need to connect to the TATA Indicom dial-up service in order to send mails using our SMTP server through any email client.

Kindly note that when you are connected to any other ISP/Cable service you need to use the respective SMTP server address provided by the respective service provider

By thrikkur at Thu, 2004/10/28 - 5:00am

This is just not right! I am unable to send mails from my office account (VSNL) when I'm at home(BSNL). What you are doing is unfair and I believe that many people would agree with me.

By Rahul at Fri, 2006/07/21 - 5:00am

An unknown error was returned from the SMTP server. Account: 'mail.vsnl.in', Server: 'SMTP.vsnl.in', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '521 Service not available.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 521, Error Number: 0x800CCC61

By Sreejith S Sharma at Mon, 2004/11/08 - 6:00am

I am also getting this error, can you let me know the answer to this problem
at my e-mail address. I shall be thankful to you.
Pawan

By Pawan Kumar at Fri, 2004/12/24 - 6:00am

Im having the same problem with smtp.vsnl.net

Did you guys figure out a solution? Kindly help me. Thanks.

By jimit at Mon, 2005/01/10 - 6:00am

sir we are unable to send the messages through the outlook express and we are getting the error as
(An unknown error was returned from the SMTP server. Account: 'mail.vsnl.net', Server: 'smtp.vsnl.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '521 Service not available.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 521, Error Number: 0x800CCC61)

By saravanan v n at Tue, 2005/10/18 - 5:00am

Please complain to your email provider, not here. This is the newsboard of KDE, an Open Source project that is completely unrelated to your email problems.

By cm at Tue, 2005/10/18 - 5:00am

By Rajasekar at Sat, 2005/11/26 - 6:00am

Two emails I sent came back with Protocol Error: Error is 550 Permission denied RCPT to: (?) What do I do?

By ddgn at Wed, 2005/11/30 - 6:00am

plesse select smtp authentication to solve this problem in acoount setting

By nadir at Mon, 2005/11/14 - 6:00am

I am using Tata Indicom walky for internet but some time i come across the following error while sending the mail plz give me a solution.

"An unknown error was returned from the SMTP server. Account: 'mail.vsnl.net', Server: 'smtp.vsnl.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '521 Service not available.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 521, Error Number: 0x800CCC61"

By Raju at Thu, 2006/02/16 - 6:00am

!!! 521 Service not available !!!

By cl at Thu, 2006/02/16 - 6:00am

Dear AAkindaia,

The error which your are getting while sending the mail using the mail client software is having a fix. what you have to do is just.
Tools>Account>mail>Properties>servers>Myserver requires Authentication(click) & Click Settings> Log on using> Give a/c name as your user id & pw click ok. Try this your problem will fix.

Regards
Manish

By Manish at Sun, 2005/02/13 - 6:00am

Hi Manish,

I tried everything i could but unable to send emails. I can only receive emails.

Nisha

By Nisha at Mon, 2005/02/21 - 6:00am

Did any of you contact vsnl helpdesk for the same or is it solved as of now?

- SB

By SB at Thu, 2005/03/03 - 6:00am

I am also getting the same error.I took the support from the vsnl also but that also not helpful.I am sending u the vsnl helpdesk number.If u get any solution u please reply me on this mail(devendra_it@yahoo.co.in).

VSNL no. is 08056600121

By Devendra kumar at Sat, 2005/04/02 - 6:00am

Sir,
since so many days i am not able to send the message frome microsoft out look express.
i have already used,
mail.vsnl.net and smtp.vsnl.net but no response came.
please reply and oblige,
thanking you,

By BOMI at Wed, 2005/04/27 - 5:00am

pls send a mail

By arun at Thu, 2005/05/26 - 5:00am

top urgent

rds
kriba

By uday at Wed, 2005/06/08 - 5:00am

Hello?

Do you all mistake this KDE news(!) board for a support forum for some broken internet service provider?

Hint: It's not. Not only is this extremely off-topic here, your chances to get the reply you're looking for are also infinitesimally small.

By cm at Wed, 2005/06/08 - 5:00am

hi
pls rpl me through mail urg .

By sadrul at Thu, 2005/07/07 - 5:00am

I am facing same problem

By nachiketpatil at Sat, 2005/08/13 - 5:00am

An unknown error was returned from the SMTP server. Account: 'bgl.vsnl.net.in', Server: 'smtp.vsnl.in', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '521 Service not available.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 521, Error Number: 0x800CCC61

The above error message I am getting.

By Ponnappa at Thu, 2005/08/25 - 5:00am

Please respond immediately since I am unable to send mails.

By Soundar at Fri, 2005/09/16 - 5:00am

An unknown error was returned from the SMTP server. Account: 'Saharia Group', Server: 'smtp.vsnl.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '521 Service not available.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 521, Error Number: 0x800CCC61

By Suman Dutta at Mon, 2005/09/26 - 5:00am

please do the needfull for this

By TRAVEL CLUB at Sat, 2005/10/15 - 5:00am

Please complain to your email provider, not here. This is a newsboard of KDE, a completely unrelated Open Source project.

By cm at Sat, 2005/10/15 - 5:00am

By srinath at Sat, 2005/11/19 - 6:00am

I am Not avil to send the e.mail

By Dr.Govind Varshney at Fri, 2006/01/06 - 6:00am

dear sir
I am getting below error as my email add is inaindia@vsnl.com
I gave pop23 as mail.vsnl.com its working but smtp smtp.vsnl.com is working
i enabled my server requires athentication then also I am not able to send
what may be the problem pls chk it send reply immediately to the above mentined address
thanks and regards

ravi v v
The SMTP server returned an error. Account: 'Ina India', Server: 'smra.sancharnet.in', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: 'Not Allowed', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC60

By ravi at Sat, 2006/03/18 - 6:00am

An unknown error was returned from the SMTP server. Account: 'Ina India', Server: 'smtp.vsnl.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '521 Service not available.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 521, Error Number: 0x800CCC61
pls give the solvation for the problem

By ravi at Sat, 2006/03/18 - 6:00am

i am unable to send the mail. at the time of sending the mail, it shows the message given hereinabove.

By brij chatrath at Sat, 2006/06/03 - 5:00am

U should change the smtp settings as 'mail.vsnl.net'
bcoz the pop & smtp should be 'mail.vsnl.net' try to change the settings u will be able to send the mails

By Manju at Thu, 2006/10/19 - 5:00am

The Problem seems to be internet connection.

Are you trying to send email from VSNL account, using some other company's internet, like BSNL etc.

In that case the mail will not be sent. You have to be conected to internet using VSNL account to send email thru vsnl.

By Rajat Jain at Mon, 2007/02/05 - 6:00am

> The Problem seems to be internet connection.

There's no problem if it's a good connection.

> Are you trying to send email from VSNL account, using some other company's > internet, like BSNL etc.

What, if so? BSNL gonna eat VSNL? GRRR.

> In that case the mail will not be sent.

Why? The mail swallowed by ISPs?

> You have to be conected to internet using VSNL account to send email thru > vsnl.

Oh! Oh! So VSNL is something terrible. Great monster. Oops, I never understood why I could sign-in to yahoo account, possibly because I'm using yahoo connection.

By catena at Thu, 2007/08/23 - 5:00am

I RECEIVED THIS ERROR NOTICE INFORMING ME NONE OF MY EMAILS ARE BEING SENT BY OUTLOOK....HOW DO I GET OFF THIS BLACKLIST....PLEASE HELP MY!!!! BUSINESS RUNS ON EMAIL.

The SMTP server returned an error. Account: 'Jason Hartwyk', Server: 'mail.reliancerelocation.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '+OK <15091.1171324173@mail9.opentransfer.com>', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC60

By j at Tue, 2007/02/13 - 6:00am

When I am trying to send email from my dataone ID, I am receiving the following notification.

Please help me to solve this.

The SMTP server returned an error. Account: 'wmma.dataone.in', Server: 'wmra.dataone.in', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: 'Not Allowed', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC60

By N. Shahina at Sat, 2009/01/17 - 6:00am

iam unable to sent my mail

By neo weiting at Tue, 2004/09/21 - 5:00am

Please ,now I ask you for an pop authemtification, as a sender; emanuel_poppel@yahoo.co.uk
Thanks,
Prof.Emanuel Poppel

By Prof.Dr.Poppel ... at Thu, 2004/10/21 - 5:00am

can't recieve or send on internet explorer

By beverly schneider at Fri, 2005/08/26 - 5:00am

you cannot send email because yahoo is now requiring you to authenticate your message before sending it.this is because of email SPAM. to check if your yahoo authentication is enable try to log in to your yahoo account using the internet explorer.notice if you try to compose a new message then send it,yahoo will ask you to authenticate it(like asking you to input the letters or numbers you see on a black box). if it does then write a letter to yahoo tech support to disable that setting. it fixes my yahoo account.

By chubi at Tue, 2005/09/06 - 5:00am

In an attempt to control unsolicited email (spam), some Internet service providers will block port 25. All email sent via the Internet is routed through port 25, the port used for communication between an email client and an email server. Port 25 blocking allows ISPs to block spam sent out through their networks. If you are experiencing technical difficulties when sending via your email client (such as Outlook), then your ISP may block port 25. For these cases, you will need to change the SMTP port from 25 to 587 in your email client.
If this is not what you needed to know, check out our Online Help Desk. Visit it any time by logging into your Yahoo! Mail account and clicking on the "Help" link located in the upper right-hand corner.

IT WORKS PASS IT ON

By Nick at Tue, 2006/01/31 - 6:00am

By Nick at Tue, 2006/01/31 - 6:00am

what was the solution to this error message?

By sarah at Tue, 2006/09/26 - 5:00am

This solved my problem of "Server Error: 530, Error Number: 0x800CCC78."

Open up Outlook Express
Click on "Tools"
Click "Accounts"
Click "Mail"
Click on your Email account in the dialog box
Click on "Properties"
Click on "Servers"
check the box "My server requires authentication"

P.S.: Make sure your password is correct.

By ofatmarine at Tue, 2008/02/19 - 6:00am

non riesco a configurare outlok express ne window live mail...aiutatemi

By elisabetta at Thu, 2008/05/08 - 5:00am