JUL
2002

KDE 3.0.2: Second KDE 3 Service Release Ships

The KDE Project today announced the availability of KDE 3.0.2,
the second maintenance release
of the KDE 3.0 series. Dirk Mueller,
the KDE 3 release coordinator, explained that
"a number of stability and useability enhancements have been
backported from the active KDE 3.1 branch to the KDE 3.0 codebase and
bundled in this update. We recommend that all KDE 3 users update
to this newest, stable release.
" More details are in the
announcement,
or jump directly to the download directory.
Congratulations to the KDE developers on another great release! And stay tuned:
the first KDE 3.1 alpha release, this one complete with a slew
of cool new features (such as the widely requested tabbed browsing
in Konqueror), is due out next week already!

Comments

Caro Rex Dieter, (sorry if I don't speak english)
tante grazie anche dall'Italia. Hai reso felice un altro RedHat dipendente.
Saluti
Mamagio

Dear Rex,
many tanks from Italy. You have be happy another RedHat user.
Bye

By mamagio at Sun, 2002/08/04 - 5:00am

Damn, not perfect yet!

Tooltips STILL prevent you from clicking what's underneath them. Since they insist on popping up just as you're about to click, they should at least have the courtesy of being click-transparent!

Other than that, though, very nice release.

By ac at Thu, 2002/07/04 - 5:00am

Yes! That's really annoying... I end up turning off tooltips, but, then again, need them for programs I don't know what the icon is doing...
I hope it get's fixed.

BTW, where can you get the list you said of most hated bugs?

By JL Lanbo at Thu, 2002/07/04 - 5:00am

Heh, the list I've been referencing is in my head ;-)

However, we have a new candidate: Konqui filemanager can't follow symlinks to folders???

By ac at Thu, 2002/07/04 - 5:00am

Disregard the symlink "bug". Konqui can't follow symlinks to folders IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT PERMISSIONS. So, er, it's not really a bug. Well, maybe a "there could be a more descriptive error message", but that's splitting hairs.

But that tooltip thing, THAT'S a real bug. Annoying bugger at that.

By ac at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

I too have disabled tooltips. I get the information I need in the status bar anyway. Most of the information in the tooltip is also in the status bar. The more I think about it I think tooltips for files should be disabled by default. At least make the delay longer, you should only get a tooltip when you really want a tooltip, not just when you move your mouse slowly over a bunch of files.

By Joe at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

The QT in this release, at least for SuSE-7.3 doesn't support antialiased fonts nor icons... Had to downgrade QT to the one that came with KDE-3.0 to get desktop back to it's normal glory.

By Roope at Thu, 2002/07/04 - 5:00am

This is because SuSE in all their glory decided to shut off Xft support in QT3 for all 7.3 users because there's a bug with it when used with XFree86 4.1.

However, if you're one of the smarter ones and have upgraded to XFree86 4.2, there's no bug.

But still, you're not given that option if you have 4.2, they packaged it without Xft support for all 7.3 users because of this.

Packager is adrian@suse.de . If you have XFree86 4.2 and want anti-aliasing back, tell her! This makes no sense "punishing" everyone using 7.3 with a nasty-looking desktop just because of idiots who won't upgrade X. Who in the hell is upgrading KDE without upgrading X as well?

By Someone Else at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

This glory was enforced by people who are not reading READMEs, but are able to spam. More spam will not help anybody. And I am a him, newbie.

By Adrian at Sat, 2002/07/06 - 5:00am

Konqy is looking way faster in displaying web pages. But it still need 4 to 5 seconds to start (K6 550, 256Mb,Mandrake 8.2 + Mandrake package for 3.0.2).
But there is still two big bugs that shows in the first minute of use.

1) When I click on the Konsole icon in the bar, the icon is "frozen" and can not be used anymore as long as the konsole programm is not closed (is it a mandrake bug??)

2) When I am using konqy as a file manager, I like to view the files with all the information (size, date, permission ...). In this mode, when I select several files and when I drag then to move then in another directory, the selection changes as I am "flying" over other files. This bug is just visual but terribly ugly. I think that it exists since (at least) Kde 2.0.

The increase in speed for Konqy is a good new. I hope the project will continue in this direction.

By Murphy at Thu, 2002/07/04 - 5:00am

>) When I click on the Konsole icon in the bar, the icon is "frozen" and can not be >used anymore as long as the konsole programm is not closed (is it a mandrake bug??)

Yes that is (partly) a mandrake bug. Somebody was stupid enough to create a konsole-xft in kde 2.2.x and if you upgraded from kde 2.2 you still have that
entry in the kicker panel. Kde3 doesn't have any konsole-xft so kicker has a problem. The KDE bug here is that kicker cannot handle this gracefully.

change the entry into konsole and everything should be ok

d

By Danny at Thu, 2002/07/04 - 5:00am

Thanks, it works.

And for the other bug, have you an idea why it is still there?

By the way, does someone know why 'alt F2' does not work any more??

Murphy

By murphy at Thu, 2002/07/04 - 5:00am

Are you using GLibc 2.2.5? Objprelink isn't exactly perfect at times, and glibc 2.2.5 is a tad faster than it since it's a real solution. Be warned that upgrading to glibc 2.2.5 pretty much takes a completely new distro version to support it (unless you're really tricky).

By Nick Betcher at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

Well, thanks for the advice but I am not very tricky. So I will wait for the next Mandrake...

By murphy at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

The new Red Hat Beta (codename Limbo), which according to the release notes
contains "the latest desktop technology" (no more details - tasty understatement ;-)
is in fact bundled with a KDE 3.0.2 snapshot !

Read the full annouce here : http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2002-07-03-019-26-NW-RH-SW

Kudos to Red Hat (and most probably to Bero) for this one

G.

By germain at Thu, 2002/07/04 - 5:00am

They're fibbing just a little. If you actually LOOK at the RPMS in the beta, you'll see they are still mostly 3.0.1. I'm sure they'll be fully updated to 3.0.2 for the next beta/release though...

By Rex Dieter at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

I can't wait for the debian packages to come out in 2005!

By Sam at Thu, 2002/07/04 - 5:00am

Or, how about you stop being an idiot, and start looking at http://calc.cx/kde.txt? These packages have been out since just before 3.0.1, and are even announced on DebianPlanet. Before you bitch and moan (just like dep) about it not being in sid, the maintainer chose not to upload them to save people like yourself the trouble of a fucked-up upgrade.

By Debian user at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

Do you know when it will be officially ported to sid?

Dave

By gibby at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

When hell freezes over.

By Nick Betcher at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

Hmm...Last I checked, the KDE team provided packages of text, which most of us would call Source tarballs! (You may have heard of them. Judging from many posts here, not many KDE users have, but I could very well be wrong, and hope that I am :) ) So, what you could do is stop trolling and BUILD YOUR OWN! Hell, people may actually start taking you seriously if you do. Hmm...What a concept!

By Anti Troll at Tue, 2002/07/09 - 5:00am

With all the people out there who bash KDE flaming on and on, I'd like to take a second to express my sincere appreciation to all the KDE developers. KDE rules thanks to all you guys. You have given us *nix users a truly powerful and unique gift. I'll never use Gnome or MS Windows again... I mean that!

Keep on rockin'... you ARE appreciated!

Jonathan Graham
Linux User since 1999

By Jon at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

I second this! Although I don't use KDE (and probably never will again (don't ask, plz)), I do appreciate all the work that has gone into the DE. The environment is clean and polished, even though I do think some work could be done to speed things up (probably more on troll-tech's end tho). Keep up the good work, I reccommend this to anyone who is switching to Linux :)

By Justin Hibbits at Tue, 2002/07/09 - 5:00am

Tried out 3.0.2 but it still has major xinerama bugs. The panel doesn't freeze straight away anymore, but it does freeze after any of the buttons are clicked and the kde control center still wont run in xinerama mode. These a major bugs and they should have been fixed by the second maintenance release. Poor effort people! If these bugs aren't fixed by the time the next generation of distributions comes out with kde3 then kde could lose its entire xinerama userbase.

By Jared at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

> Poor effort people!

Maybe do something about it: Donate graphic cards and screens to your favorite KDE developer.

Or even better, look at the problem yourself. Do some debugging. You didn't even post a _detailed_ bug report.

By Moritz Moeller-... at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

True... but it's not like it's hard to reproduce... try running control center with dual monitors or konsole... they will not run. Windows don't repaint and apps behave strangely... would be nice to get a fix... pleeeeaassee

By Thomas Mayer at Sat, 2002/09/21 - 5:00am

I saw a xinerama entry for kde 3.1. From the feature list:
Xinerama configuration module and more correct support, George Staikos and others

At the moment red (in kdelibs).

have fun
Felix

By halux at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

Although it's red, I think he is working on it as we speak. If I'm not mistaken there were some more Xinerama fixes just committed in the last few days.

By Nick Betcher at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

thanks to puetzk putting in the necessary efforts and others helping him test and debug it under various circumstances, kicker is now xinerama aware, functional and safe.

By Aaron J. Seigo at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

looking on ftp.kde.org for binary packages i noticed that every version is available for totally different distributions:

3.0.0 : FreeBSD, Irix, RedHat, YellowDog
3.0.1 : Gentoo, Slackware, Solaris, Turbo
3.0.2 : Conectiva, Mandrake, SuSE, Tru64

is there a reason for this? every version makes some (few) people happy, but eventually everybody will be happy (at least once :) ). rigth now i'm not quite happy, i'll have to spend at least a day compiling the latest version ... :|

.costin

By costing at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

Because the binary packagers aren't always available to package for each distro, so some distros (and other OS's) suffer at certain times. If you know how to package, become an official package manager for KDE... help out! :)

By Nick Betcher at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

kde releases source, vendors release binaries.

each distribution/vendor (or their userbase) is responsible for providing binaries for their platform. not all distributions build binaries for every revision release. if you don't like how your vendor is handling this, get in touch with them and/or help build packages for that platform.

By Aaron J. Seigo at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

Over about a few months the first distubutions come out wich will follow the LSB-moddel (LSB = Linux Standard Base). Soon all major distibution will follow.
At that time there is no need four al those differen binarys.

Perhaps it might be a good idea for KDE to put out their own version, based on standard LSB-rpm's.

By Maarten Romerts at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

Small correction -- Gentoo is on the 3.0.2 release as of, oh, yesterday. Gotta love source-based package systems :)

By dwyip at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

SuSE has always packages ... check your list ..

By micha at Sat, 2002/07/06 - 5:00am

I guess he didn't see SuSE packages for 3.0[.1] because they were removed from FTP to save space.

By Anonymous at Sat, 2002/07/06 - 5:00am

How do you change the default browser in KDE? The reason I'm asking is that I just switched from Mozilla mail to KMail because KMail understands my file associations. However, I still prefer Mozilla to Konqueror for regular web browsing.

When I click on a link in a KMail message it used to open Konqueror. I switched the file association for text/html to Mozilla, and now the link KINDA opens in Mozilla--but not entirely.

Mozilla opens of a cached copy of the link on the local drive, not the actual link! And if the site serves cookies, Konqueror asks me if I want to accept/reject the cookies before Mozilla even tries to do anything.

Somehow I think I'm missing something. Can anyone help?

By ac at Mon, 2002/07/08 - 5:00am

Just right-click on any html file and choose 'edit file types' there you can move mozilla up. or more easy will be to 'when opening an html file' choose 'open with' and choose 'mozilla' if not present enter the 'mozilla' command and click on 'remember file association'

By Asif Ali Rizwaan at Wed, 2002/07/10 - 5:00am

Hm, I did just that, mozilla is on top, but still, I see the behaviour described in the parent post... I must admit that I've tweaked it a bit, it says
mozilla -remote openURL(%u,new-tab) &
it is _really_ important that it opens in a new tab...

Preferably, what it should do is to open mozilla if it isn't allready running, if it is running, open in a new tab. I guess a shell script is needed to achieve that, anybody got something like that?

By Kjetil Kjernsmo at Tue, 2002/10/22 - 5:00am

I just wrote such a script this very night!

It's written in Perl, and it simply strips
the single quote characters from the beginning
and end of the %u input string that KDE calls
mozilla with.

I named it:

kdeLoadMozilla

And it can be called with the following syntax:

kdeLoadMozilla %u new-window

or

kdeLoadMozilla %u new-tab

Instant mozilla satisfaction!

Let me know if you still want it.

By Jesse D. Guardiani at Sat, 2003/01/04 - 6:00am

I've decided to make this script available for download via anonymous FTP.

You can get it here:

ftp.wingnet.net/pub/scripts/kde/kdeLoadMozilla

Enjoy!

By Jesse D. Guardiani at Thu, 2003/02/13 - 6:00am

Thanks!

By Nacs at Mon, 2003/04/07 - 5:00am

When you set up the command for KMail to run in your file association, simply put:

/usr/bin/mozilla -remote "openurl(%u,new-tab)"

The openurl thing needs to be in quotes to work. Hope this helps.

By brian at Fri, 2003/05/02 - 5:00am

The link given above seems to be down.
Here's a solution using the script :

#!/bin/sh
MOZILLA="/opt/MozillaFirebird/bin/MozillaFirebird"
if $MOZILLA -remote "ping()" 2>/dev/null
then
echo "Mozilla already launch"
location=",new-tab"
exec $MOZILLA -remote "openURL($1$location)"
else
exec $MOZILLA "$@"
fi
exit 1

Change MOZILLA acording to your need.
Then put this in your file associations :
/path/to/fire.sh %u

Mick

By mick at Tue, 2003/09/16 - 5:00am

I am running Red Hat 7.3, I'm having a horable time getting my DVD drive to work and my flakey sound.

I'm a windows convert. Please dont bash me. Least I'm trying here to get away from Microsoft. These packages are totaly confusing.. Cant they make a single installer to upgrade? This package wants that installed first.. OIE... I'm trying but its just so cryptic.

Please help me!!!