JAN
2003

KDE-CVS-Digest for January 3, 2003

The latest KDE-CVS-Digest is out. This week read about some new KDE optimizations, Konstruct, Atlantik (screenshot) and Kalzium updates, as well as many bugfixes and various new features.

Comments

Wow, nice job. I like the new stylesheet :-) Thanks for the updates!

By not me at Fri, 2003/01/03 - 6:00am

Sorry, but... it's only getting better and better! :-)

By anon at Fri, 2003/01/03 - 6:00am

Keep up the good work Derek! ;)

By cartman at Fri, 2003/01/03 - 6:00am

Absolutly. Great work!

By Marlo at Fri, 2003/01/03 - 6:00am

Nicely done. It is getting better with every release. Thanks for news.

By stromek at Fri, 2003/01/03 - 6:00am

I'm really happy to see the KDE-CVS-Digest serie come back each week! I hope you can find people to help you so that it doesn't depend on too few people (It's sad the KDE Weekly News is not as regularly published as the cvs digest eg)

Congrats for your great work!

By raphinou at Fri, 2003/01/03 - 6:00am

If you notice, there is very little original material. All I do is quote others. So the time required is small. I've had time this last while to work on some scripts that put most of it together.

Matching the backports and the emails from developers require hand editing.`

When I started this, I felt that the important "feature" would be doing it weekly. I've learnt to have the utmost respect for Zack Brown.

Derek

By Derek Kite at Fri, 2003/01/03 - 6:00am

So afaics you just take a selection of well chosen quotes to summarize the activities without any fuss like additional comments and interpretations. I say this is the way to go, and I'm very happy you're doing as well as that it's being received that well. ^_^

In short: truely objective journalism at its best. ;)

By Datschge at Sat, 2003/01/04 - 6:00am

> without any fuss like additional comments and interpretations

Hah! I spare you all much pain.

A couple of times I got pontificating, then hit the most important key, Delete. Managed to come out with my self-respect intact.

Now if I could only spell everybody's name properly. Grrrr.

Derek

By Derek Kite at Sat, 2003/01/04 - 6:00am

This sounds very nice and interesting, optimisations are always a good thing :-)

my question is:

is it in HEAD or in KDE_3_1_BRANCH ???

By ac at Fri, 2003/01/03 - 6:00am

>is it in HEAD or in KDE_3_1_BRANCH ???

According to kde-cvs, it's HEAD stuff.

By kissakala at Fri, 2003/01/03 - 6:00am

>>is it in HEAD or in KDE_3_1_BRANCH ???

>According to kde-cvs, it's HEAD stuff.

:-((

well a backport for the upcoming KDE3.1 would be very nice, but I guess
this is too intrusive to force into a release...

By zambazumba at Fri, 2003/01/03 - 6:00am

Hi!

I'm using both windows xp and linux on an Athlon XP 2000. I've always found KDE to be *MUCH* slower than Windows and didn't really have any hopes of that ever getting better. Gnome programs were only a little slower than windows.

Guess what: I've installed gentoo, defined my compiler-settings (processor type) in /etc/make.conf, said "emerge kde" and went to bed. From the next day on, I had the fastest KDE system I have *ever* seen.

Gentoo rocks, KDE rocks. Thanks both!

By me at Sat, 2003/01/04 - 6:00am

Prelink doesn't really help in this case, unfortunately, as Konqueror doesn't link to khtml - it dlopen()'s it.

By Sad Eagle at Sat, 2003/01/04 - 6:00am

>Prelink doesn't really help in this case, unfortunately, as Konqueror doesn't
>link to khtml - it dlopen()'s it.

mmmm I wonder if this could not be changed easily...
the performance gain of prelink is very nice and important.

Maybe one could also get rid of the kdeinit-hack at this moment?

By ac at Mon, 2003/01/06 - 6:00am

HI I HEARD KDE IS GOING OUT OF BUSINESS I HOPE THIS IS NOT TRUE HELP ME

By Bob at Sat, 2003/01/04 - 6:00am

HI BOB NO THIS IS NOT TRUE KDE WILL NOT GO OUT OF BUSINESS ANYTIME SOON AND NEXT TIME COULD U TRY NOT 2 TYPE WITH CAPITAL LETTERS PLZ THX

By frerich at Sat, 2003/01/04 - 6:00am

In the last week Remote Desktop Connection (kdenetwork/krdc) got initial support for RDP, the protocol used by the Windows Terminal Services. Right now it can act as a simple frontend for the rdesktop executable (done by Arend van Beelen jr.). A native RDP backend is in the works. krdc has also been re-structured to support multiple backends.

By Tim Jansen at Sat, 2003/01/04 - 6:00am

You ROCK! Will you have my babies?

That is all.

Thank you.

By My Left Foot at Sun, 2003/01/05 - 6:00am

Hey, Ron Kaper, is that Rob's bro'? ;)

Reminds me of a Judas Priest single I had that credited "Bob Halford" as the singer.

Anyway, great stuff.

By ac at Sat, 2003/01/04 - 6:00am

Grrrr!

Fixed.

Derek

By Derek Kite at Sat, 2003/01/04 - 6:00am

Hi solo parasaber mas infrmacion sobre jesus

By ISMAEL at Mon, 2008/09/01 - 5:00am