JAN
2003

KDE 3.1: Well Worth the Wait

The KDE Project today
announced
the release of KDE 3.1, "a major feature upgrade to the third
generation of the most advanced and powerful free desktop for Linux
and other UNIXes.
"
While you are busy downloading
the new packages for this fabulous release, we hope you will enjoy the
über-cool (disclaimer:
I wrote it) KDE
3.1 Feature Guide
, as well as a sortable
KDE 3.1 Requirements
page, both new for this release. And if that's not enough, you can also
check out the detailed
ChangeLog. And - ah yes - there are also screenshots. So much to do today . . . .

Comments

By JC at Tue, 2003/01/28 - 6:00am

> When a new windows version is released, the day after do you ask when will be the next release ???

The problem is, no one of us actually cares about the next Windows release =P

But you're right.
Everyone should enjoy this version and give the developers time to party and relaxation before going back to coding.

By Hoek at Tue, 2003/01/28 - 6:00am

> When a new windows version is released, the day after do you ask when will
> be the next release ???

Why do you post, if you have nothing to tell?

Think that it might be interesting for someone developing an KDE app to have a timeframe...

By Steinchen at Wed, 2003/01/29 - 6:00am

Developers can get a good idea of how long it takes until the next release when they participate in mailing lists. After all it's ready when it's ready.

Cheers.

By Datschge at Thu, 2003/01/30 - 6:00am

Anyone?
i try to compile on mi debian/unstable /sid) but i get some error with the first package, arts.
dpkg-buildpackage tell that i don't have qt-mt but (i am sure!!) i have libt3-mt and libqt3-mt-dev!!!! in detail, i have the last official package for unstable, tagged qt 3.1.1 cvs 20-12-2002 binary and headers (libqt3-*-dev). currently i am using kde3.1rc6 self-compiled whith the same script dpkg-buildpackage... anyone have the same problem? anyone solved it?

for all coder: very very GREAT work!!!!! the best desktop EVER! simple as windows XP, stable as KDE!

By simone at Tue, 2003/01/28 - 6:00am

Qt packages on unstable are still compiled with gcc-2.95, but the default compiler is gcc-3.2 now. Since the abi has changed, this will not work. Either wait for a couple of days 'till Qt packages compiled with gcc-3.2 are in unstable or try this:

export CC=gcc-2.95

(I hope I remember this correctly. Maybe you have to set some more environement variables, you can probably find how to do it with google).

By Michael at Tue, 2003/01/28 - 6:00am

export CC=gcc-2.95

By Michael at Tue, 2003/01/28 - 6:00am

i think is true...
after my first post, i start to compile qt libray by myself from source.
thanks anyway for your answer... :-))))

By simone at Tue, 2003/01/28 - 6:00am

Hi Simon,

You verify quickly with "ldd -r" if you got it right. ie,

ldd -r /usr/local/qt/lib/libqt.3.1.0.so (or whatever the lib is called)
ldd -r /usr/local/kde/bin/kwin

If there are unresolved symbols it won't work

By Sam at Tue, 2003/01/28 - 6:00am

Is anybody knows when KDE 3.1 deb`s will be included in debian/sid (officialy) Thanks !

By ass at Tue, 2003/01/28 - 6:00am

By not me at Wed, 2003/01/29 - 6:00am

That's great news, thanks! ^_^

By Datschge at Thu, 2003/01/30 - 6:00am

I downloaded the 3.1 rpms for SuSE8.1 this morning.
Less than 25 minutes later, it was up and running!!
No dependency issues as long as you get the order right and meet the requirements.

Great Job KDE Team......

Just try upgrading to a new version of windows in 25 mins.
O.K. I know it's not a directly relevant or very sensible comparison, but........

Thanks,

Paul

By Paul Hands at Tue, 2003/01/28 - 6:00am

What is the order.If your are a noob you are lost
Could you post the install order. I've downloded all that stuff, tried to install and run into a lot of dependency probs. Allmost broke my current installation.
Would you please be so kind and post the install order.

By sw at Tue, 2003/01/28 - 6:00am

I have SuSE 8.1 and the only thing i did was to download all files into a folder....

The i typed as root

rpm -Fvh * --nodeeps --force

then a reboot and everything works fine.. KDE3.1 is realy great!!!!
If you don't want to use the --nodeps --force argumens you have to remove pixie_plus and maybe add som libs before installing... you will get error messages that tells you which libs to install....

By kde at Tue, 2003/01/28 - 6:00am

I downloaded all the rpms, then logged out of KDE, launched the shell via Ctrl-Alt-F4 and then logged in as root and then types "init S"; Then I typed "rpm -Uvh * --nodeps --force" once i got back to the shell prompt after all the servers had been unloaded. Then I typed "init 5" and bingo.. all was fantastic.

Great Work KDE team !!!

By Ian at Wed, 2003/01/29 - 6:00am

Hey, I have SuSE 8.1 and I just downloaded the rpms and I've done every single thing to get it to work, but I just can't can anyone here explain step by step? what I did was
1.- rpm -Uvh *
2.- run SuSEconfig

when SuSEconfig was done I got the following msg:
ATTENTION: You have modified /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm//kdmrc. Leaving it untouched...
You can find my version in /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm//kdmrc.SuSEconfig...

Then I rebooted, but nothing really changed, I'm still in KDE 3.0.3
Any idea of what I can do?

By rem7 at Sun, 2003/02/16 - 6:00am

The packages havedependencies for a reason - if you ignore those dependencies things may install and mostly work, but it'll probably be broken in various unpredictable ways.

By Someone at Wed, 2003/01/29 - 6:00am

>> ignoring package dependencies and forcing the install is not exactely a smart thing to do.<<

I second this.

--force, from time to time (still, not often at all), I can see. But --nodeps can quickly land you in a world of hurt. I think the poster "someone" is right in saying that the packages have dependencies for a reaon.

I can't speak about SuSE much (since I didn't use it much (I didn't care for it to be honest...)), but MDK's urpmi and Debian's apt will handle all that stuff for you. Me being on Gentoo now, the same is true.

emerge -u world

kdegraphics is building now...

By Xanadu at Wed, 2003/01/29 - 6:00am

I got KDE 3.1 in 25 hours! Compiling in on a p233 takes awhile. Even if it is pointless I like to do it. Makes me feel 31337.

By Moloch at Thu, 2003/01/30 - 6:00am

Try http://apt4rpm.sf.net follow the links, I use it with Redhat 8.0 works beautifully, though Redhat has KDE 3.1 only for for rawhide for the moment.

By khalid at Thu, 2003/01/30 - 6:00am

use --nodeps "--nodeeps" is written wrong ;-(

By markus lippert at Fri, 2003/02/28 - 6:00am

Yup, downloaded the packages yesterday, did
rpm -Uvh * --nodeps --force
works like a smooth!

PS: I still claim on it takes less than 25mins ;)

By Kilian at Sun, 2003/03/02 - 6:00am

Where did you downloaded ther files? (Official Suse ones?)

Must I believe there where no dependency problems?

Please clarify i more detail with download address and your system setup.

Ruud koendering
Sr. Project manager

By ruud koendering at Sun, 2003/03/02 - 6:00am

So many new nice icons, but KMail's inbox, outbox and sent-mail icons never change. Are they hard-coded? Just curious.

By matt at Tue, 2003/01/28 - 6:00am

The icons are not hardcoded. The artists simply didn't create nice new icons although we asked more than once.

BTW, you can report also art-related bugs/wishes via bugs.kde.org.

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50946 is about the KMail icons. If you vote for this bug report then the artists will probably do something about it.

By Ingo Klöcker at Wed, 2003/01/29 - 6:00am

Does anyone know where the icons for inbox, sent, etc. are located at in $KDEDIR?

I could put some out for everyone.

By Antiphon at Wed, 2003/01/29 - 6:00am

as most apps kde in /usr/share/apps
for kmail is in .../usr/share/apps/kmail/pics
i changed mine the first time i puted my eyes in the default ones

By nuno pinheiro at Thu, 2003/01/30 - 6:00am

The feature guide is world-class. I really like it. It's complete, easy-to-understand, and attractive.

Keep up the good work.

By JJ at Tue, 2003/01/28 - 6:00am

Hi,

I installed the suse 8.1 rpm:s and xine0.9.13 but i cant get this new multimedia thing to work.. Does anyone know how to enable for exaple noatun to use the xine-libs?

This was the most wanted feature I had for 3.1 but no luck :-(

By the way.. 3.1 just feels so solid!!!.. Best KDE release ever.. try keep all next .0 releases at least the same level... Thank you!!

Bye

By kde at Tue, 2003/01/28 - 6:00am

Yes, I very much liked the long releas candidate period. That way we had a chance to test the software thoroughly. A couple of weaks is far to short time to test what you intend to release as a solid product.

So please have longer feature freeze time, so that bugs really have time to get fixed. This extra time that the security audit gave us for this release was perfect.

By Uno Engborg at Wed, 2003/01/29 - 6:00am

Hi,

This was the most wanted feature I had for 3.1 but no luck :-(

Bye

By kde at Tue, 2003/01/28 - 6:00am

I never managed to use the xine bin out of a SuSE release... There is a new xinle-lib 1.0beta4 which installs fine on SuSe 8.1. With this release, you have to use the Xine-ui 0.9.19. Both tarballs can be downloaded from http://xinehq.de/.

By Daniel at Mon, 2003/02/03 - 6:00am

What's the story with this fish:// stuff?

I thought KDE has had scp:// or sftp:// for a while...? How is it different?

By AC at Tue, 2003/01/28 - 6:00am

The difference is that it is now part of the standard KDE. In previous releases it was a separate download. FISH by the way is the name of the protocol (also used by some other apps).

Rich.

By Richard Moore at Tue, 2003/01/28 - 6:00am

sftp:// connects to an FTP server through SSL. fish:// connects to an SSH server to do basically the same thing, but with a few more features. If you already have an SSH server, and you can't or don't want to run an FTP server on your machine, fish is great.

By Jiffy at Tue, 2003/01/28 - 6:00am

According to my memory:

sftp:// is secureftp, a kinda-like-ftp-thing related to ssh
ftps:// is ftp-over-ssl
fish:// is scp (or rcp)

By Roberto Ramos Corona at Tue, 2003/01/28 - 6:00am

SFTP and SCP both require special support from the server. The way FISH works, IIRC, is by using regular SSH login, and running (shell? perl? don't remeber) scripts on other end. So it's probably slower but more flexible - i.e. it work with just about any SSH server

By SadEagle at Tue, 2003/01/28 - 6:00am

scp only requires a regular ssh login, and that is what fish uses.

By Roberto Ramos Corona at Tue, 2003/01/28 - 6:00am

...and an scp binary on the remote host in your path...

By Adrian at Wed, 2003/01/29 - 6:00am

Well, yeah, but what ssh doesn't install that? ;-)

By Roberto Alsina at Wed, 2003/01/29 - 6:00am

I posted this comment to somebody above under the heading "is it real?", but there is something worth noting before you do it with fish.

If the server you are connecting to has a large distributed file system, the perl process that is run on the server by fish will go crazy and totally hog the CPU and network resources of the server. I haven't looked at the script but it seems like it's running ls -alR or something, so as my university has over 2000 home directories that are split up over a bunch of physical machines, running fish on it is a terrible thing to do. This happens even if you go straight to the directory you want, ie, fish://server/home/myhome/ will still try to resolve every path name at the /home/* level.

So basically, be careful using fish, or just use sftp://, it's much more stable and works everywhere fish works (in my experience).

By Elliott at Wed, 2003/01/29 - 6:00am

Any chance that you or someone else could offer a fix/patch for that problem?

By Datschge at Thu, 2003/01/30 - 6:00am

By fish fixer at Wed, 2003/04/16 - 5:00am

use this tip for fish on my site.

By andrew scott at Wed, 2003/03/19 - 6:00am

Just a quick thank you from me. I like KDE although I use Gnome. There are two very good desktop environments and I woudn't like to miss one of them.

George

By Georg at Tue, 2003/01/28 - 6:00am

Thanks for letting us know. I guess many of us don't know if there's still something like Gnome, so good you mentioned it.

Note the irony.

Yours, Kay

By Debian User at Wed, 2003/01/29 - 6:00am

Of course everyone knows gnome! It's a very good meta search engine! http://www.gnome.com/ :))))

Bookmark it ;)

By Anton Velev at Thu, 2003/01/30 - 6:00am

The screenshots underwhelmed me. If I understand correctly, actual SVG support is still not a reality with this release and the text looks terrible. Why not have AA turned on for these shots? Keramik while original has been around quite some time now and not nearly as slick looking as offerings in the windows world. Don't get me wrong. . .I love KDE. I just don't think the best foot was placed forward for this release.

By Terry at Tue, 2003/01/28 - 6:00am

I personally like AA off for all but the largest fonts. As for SVG, what do you expect? For 3.2 to be released before 3.1? For the work to magically get done? Perhaps you can provide the KDE team with a time machine. :)

By Another Anon-person at Tue, 2003/01/28 - 6:00am