FEB
2003

KDE-CVS-Digest for January 31, 2003

Is the 3.1 the ultimate in KDE? The end of development? Judging by the 2000 or so
commits this week, it wouldn't appear so. Some of the less trivial fixes from Apple are getting applied to
Konqueror. The user interface continues to be refined. The KDE PIM project and all of its individual parts are a beehive of
activity. Utilities such as K3b and CD Bake Oven are being actively worked on.
Read all about it in this week's KDE-CVS-Digest. I'm already impatient for 3.2!

Comments

There is still at least one annoying bug in konqueror that makes it so I won't use it. Konqueror doesn't honor the nowrap tag in elements. This makes it really annoying to use in squirrelmail. Squirrelmail is my primary email client, so this forces me to use mozilla instead. As an avid KDE user this hurts. The really sad part is that nowrap works fine in KDE 3.0.x. This should have been in 3.1 final but it isn't! I have voted for the bug on bugs.kde.org and so have a few other people. Please fix this! Thank you.

Bret.

P.S. Yes I posted this in the story below. Yes I am pretty annoyed with this bug.

References:

By Bret Baptist at Fri, 2003/01/31 - 6:00am

Yes, I can verify this. My backend on OSNews is terrible looking (a huge line of icons instead and it doesn't even show scrollbars!) because of this limitation on Konqueror. Other browsers don't have this limitation.

HOWEVER, Safari does not have this problem! The page was able to render as it should have with Safari. I hope that this change will make it to the latest Konqueror from Apple.

By Eugenia at Sat, 2003/02/01 - 6:00am

Safari is based on KHTML from KDE 3.0.2. The original poster said that this isn't a problem in KDE 3.0.x, so maybe after the merging Safari won't work either. ;-)

By Scott Wheeler at Sun, 2003/02/02 - 6:00am

This is possibly because nowrap tag is deprecated in HTML 4, it should be done using CSS

.nowrap
{
white-space : nowrap;
}

THIS TEXT WON'T WRAP

By Albert 'TSDgeos... at Sat, 2003/02/01 - 6:00am

This CSS already works on Konqueror so i think i shouldn't be too difficult making Konqueror support the non correct syntax.

By Albert 'TSDgeos... at Sat, 2003/02/01 - 6:00am

Are you sure this work in css?
I tried it, and it doesn't work with Konqueror 3.1 (release).
When you put multiple spaces, it should not collapse the spaces. Konqueror does.

Here is the example I used:
In the .css:
.nowrap
{
white-space : nowrap;
}

In the html:

+-----+ +-----+
| | | |
| +-------+ |
| | | |
+-----+ +-----+

By Fred at Sun, 2003/02/09 - 6:00am

Well even if it is depreciated, it is still the part of the HTML 4 standard. There is no excuse for dropping support of this tag.

Bret.

By Bret Baptist at Sun, 2003/02/02 - 6:00am

So, write a patch. I'm fairly sure it was just an accidental bug rather than a 'limitation'.

By Alex at Mon, 2003/02/10 - 6:00am

is there a way to create a nowrap tag that does wrap after a certain number of characters?

i have a title that should not wrap as long as it can fit in the set size of the frame, BUT it should start wrapping after 4 chanracters b/c then it stretches the design out of shape.

any ideas??

thanks

By ivelina at Wed, 2003/07/23 - 5:00am

As always: Good job, Derek.
I really appreaciate your work.

By Marlo at Fri, 2003/01/31 - 6:00am

Thanks a lot to Derek Kite, by the way. The effort is much appreciated. I'm not really a programmer myself, but I love to know more about what the developers are working on, and the CVS-Digest makes it a lot easier. Thanks!

By Eike Hein at Fri, 2003/01/31 - 6:00am

Me too! Keep doing good work, please

By Guest at Sat, 2003/02/01 - 6:00am

It's only getting better each time. Hope you never loose interest in KDE Derek. :-)

Yours, Kay

By Debian User at Mon, 2003/02/03 - 6:00am

It's me, or developers are doing better CVS changelogs to appear nicely in the digest?
Heheheh, keep the good work.

Anyway, I would like more generic information about the week, you know, the top part of the digest is great.

By Iuri Fiedoruk at Fri, 2003/01/31 - 6:00am

>developers are doing better CVS changelogs to appear nicely in the digest

Interesting. I doubt if there is any conscious decision, but seeing the information used somewhere else is a small incentive. It makes the boring stuff seem worthwhile.

>I would like more generic information about the week, you know, the top part

Most comes from developers pointing out what I missed.

Derek

By Derek Kite at Fri, 2003/01/31 - 6:00am

Thank you, Derek !!

By star-flight at Fri, 2003/01/31 - 6:00am

Is the 3.1 the ultimate in KDE?

As long as machines compute, man will make evolve. The ultimate in KDE are it's ties to infinity. Future generations to inherrit 'the konstruct'. :)

By IR at Fri, 2003/01/31 - 6:00am

huh?

By confused boy at Sat, 2003/02/01 - 6:00am

It's late at night and I just downloaded KDE 3.1 for my old Suse 7.1 system (because there are no Mandrake RPMs available). It is a 450Mhz P2-machine and I am really impressed of the performance, especially of the Konqueror-Filemanager. I now also use Konqueror for the first time as a web-browser. The tabs-solution is really great, and all of my favorite webpages work fine. A big thank you to the KDE-team, enjoy the fame! (And to be not too OT: I think this fantastic release is a very good starting point for the next milestones. I also want to thank Derek for his work, the CVS-digest really gives a good overview of the work of the developers!)

By Michael at Sat, 2003/02/01 - 6:00am

Definitely not my all time best quote. ;-)

You're doing a great job Derek. Keep it up!

By Eric Laffoon at Sat, 2003/02/01 - 6:00am

I've made Konqueror my default browser but still cling to Mozilla Mail & News as my IMAP client. There are some major drawbacks to KMail as an IMAP client as a tour through bugs.kde.org will show you..

I always watch the CVS digests for bugfixes regarding IMAP though; looking forward to being able to use KMail as my default mail client!

By Brad at Sat, 2003/02/01 - 6:00am

>bugfixes regarding IMAP

I think most of the work has been done. The Kroupware project and make_it_cool kmail had (from my understanding) fixed most issues with imap. I'm not sure all has been merged yet, but the fixes didn't make it into 3.1.

3.2.

Derek

By Derek Kite at Sat, 2003/02/01 - 6:00am

No, it hasn't. I'm still integrating folderjobs from make_it_cool and it's going rather slow. Till all folderjobs will be merged imap will behave flaky.

By Zack Rusin at Sun, 2003/02/02 - 6:00am

I still haveto use IE (via Crossover) to use pageslike lycos chat or the comdirect online broker.
My fault, or still not (yet) possible?

By Micha at Sat, 2003/02/01 - 6:00am

Your fault ;-) At least comdirect work perfectly, when you change the user agent for this page to "Netscape Navigator 4.76".

By Johann Lermer at Sat, 2003/02/01 - 6:00am

Just tried it.
Too bad, doesn't work.
When I use IE 6.0/Win2K, I get a "timeout" after klicking "login".
When I set it to Nav 4.76, just nothing happens :(

By Micha at Sat, 2003/02/01 - 6:00am

Comdirect is very strict with the browsers, they don't accept everything. Navigator 4.8 e.g. will never be supported, as their hotline told me.

IE 6.0 doesn't work here either, but Netscape 4.76 definitely does (btw: still 3.05 here, I'm still compiling - maybe I know more tomorrow).

By Johann Lermer at Sun, 2003/02/02 - 6:00am

It's funny to see how other people are committing my commits ;) I'm doing the RDP backend in KRDC and two weeks ago I had committed some stuff and Tim Jansen was listed in the CVS-Digest as the committer, last week I did some more commits and this time Waldo is listed as the committer...

By arendjr at Sat, 2003/02/01 - 6:00am

Fixed.

Reminder to self. Update kde-common/accounts from cvs before starting anything.

Derek (sorry about that)

By Derek Kite at Sun, 2003/02/02 - 6:00am

Hope the control center mess will be cleaned up.

My 3.x:
- KDEsambaplugin
- Kdevelop 3
- hbasic
- Usability improvements

Hope also Kde.org will estabilish a security.kde.org project to provide KDE/qt hackers with security related information and help develop a security architecture. Programming style and security related training is important.

By Hein at Sun, 2003/02/02 - 6:00am