SEP
2003

Second KDE 3.2 Alpha "Tereza" Released

As the first beta has been delayed to finish more PIM features, we're proud to present the second alpha release of KDE 3.2. The first alpha was already seen as a very strong release and the second one is even better with 1374 bugs closed in the last 31 days. The major changes are the import of KSVG and KPDF into the KDE distribution, along with a major rewrite of the window manager. You can download the new release here. The are currently no binary packages, but you can of course use Konstruct to build it. Please give this one a good testing as we'll be moving to the beta phase next.

Comments

I guess that's a good compromise that would
satisfy the people who think they cannot live without it...

By cm at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

I agree. I suggested that to the kfm-devel list earlier

when the question was how delete should be represented in the menu. How does that look in the alpha by the way?

By Claes at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

Shred was completely removed from konqueror altogether (both in context menus, the main menus, toolbars, etc...)

Both "delete" and "move to trash" are there. Unifying them will probably require the trash:/ kioslave that's planned for kde 3.3 (we can have configurable smart trash emptying policies)

By AC at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

They are configurable. Edit the .rc file.

By George Staikos at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

Mozilla does this. If that's worth it to you, consider upgrading to Mozilla.

By Anonymous at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

"Upgrade?"

By George Staikos at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

LOL sounds liek the MS IE webpages.

Please upgrade your brwoser to IE 5 or 6 to view this page.

LOL considering that if you are using Opera 7.2 or anything Mozilla based this is pretty much a downgrade, that's pretty funny.

However, KHTMl while it has many advnatages to Gecko, when it comes to pure rendering Gecko is better at least in my experience.

By Alex at Sun, 2003/09/28 - 5:00am

Why not using Mozilla's context menu organization? With all Frame-oriented functions in the context menu but group and isolated in one voice. I find it an extremely intuitive and clean way to work with frames, and would solve the current view document/frame source issue.

By Vajsravana at Mon, 2003/09/29 - 5:00am

With all this clamouring about the context menu, why not do the obvious -- make the stupid thing user configurable. All of the other KDE menus are user configurable except the context menu. Personally, this drives me crazy. I would really really like to have a more configurable context menu.

Also, Copy is and has been notoriously absent from Konq's context menu. Will this get introduced in 3.2?

Of course if we had configurable context menus, this wouldn't be such a problem. ;)

By Surak at Wed, 2003/10/01 - 5:00am

Konqi's girlfriend?

By Max Howell at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

Perhaps Coolo's? Katie is Konqui's girlfriend: http://women.kde.org/pics/katie.jpg

By Anonymous at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

Hey..
I was there :-)
Tereza is one of the girls that work at the our nightly stop pub on N7Y :-)
( If i'm making a mistake, please correct me )

By Helio Chissini ... at Sun, 2003/09/28 - 5:00am

I'm all for rewrite, but I was surprised and disappointed to see the neat Plastik kwin style vanish as Alpha1 gave way to Alpha2. I like it so much better then Keramik and I really really hope it will be in the release and hopefuly before the beta (I'm using kontruct to build from HEAD when its stable enough to compile, so I'd like to be able to get Plastik from there).

By Guss at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

I beleive it's in the process of being written for kwin-HEAD. It's on the feature list for 3.2 and probably will be. Perhaps by beta1 :)

By anon at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

In current CVS it is already ported to the new KWin API.

By Anonymous at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

Plastik is just great. I really hope so much that the kde team will make this the default theme for 3.2...!!

By Anonymous at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

Won't happend...Maybe KDE 4.0.

By Anonymous at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

It can't be, since we just changed the default theme for kde 3.1. We generally don't want to change it more than once in minor releases.

Who knows in kde 4, though. BTW, the concept of a default theme in very much lessened in KDE anyways, since kpersonalizer is run at startup. Some users will stay with the default, but other options are there.

By anon at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

Plastik needs to be fixed. It looks good on reguler mid-res CRTs, but has poor contrast on LCDs, and the toolbars feel too narrow at higher resolutions.

By Rayiner Hashem at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

I have an lcd and I haven't changed the colorset.
But when I instaled plastik on my father's session, I thought it would be too bright for him, so I used the KDE default colorset in Control Center instead of Plastik's (under color, in apearance).

By jukabazooka at Sat, 2003/09/27 - 5:00am

and also increased contrast of buttons (under colors too).
I have no opinion if the default color and contrast default should be changed. I like it for me, though.

By jukabazooka at Sat, 2003/09/27 - 5:00am

Why should Plastik be included ? Plastik and Thin Keramik are, for the most part, nothing but modified versions of Alloy. They don't include any variations of the crystal icon set - they include the original. I think the same repsect should be shown for Alloy.

By Chris Spencer at Sat, 2003/09/27 - 5:00am

I know this is off topic, but this has been really annoying me for a while, and the only place where someone would know the answer to this question would be a KDE forum.

I'm using KDE 3.1. I was messing with the Panel config in KControl, and with the applet lists. Somehow I managed to remove the desktop switching buttons that always show in kicker, and now I can't figure out how to make them show up again. I have multiple desktops enabled, and I can switch between them with Ctrl-Tab, but the buttons are not there. Any ideas?

-George Vulov

By George Vulov at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

It's under miniprograms->switcher

By DP at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

Isn't it Add->Applet->Pager ?

By thomas at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

I want to recover my active desktop :(

By swordf1sh at Sun, 2005/05/08 - 5:00am

right click on the kmenu->panel menu->add->applet->Pager

By anon at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

> the only place where someone would know the answer to this question would be a KDE forum

How correct you are, so go to http://kde-forum.org/ and stop posting off-topic here.

By Anonymous at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

IMHO is kontact the important thing on KDE3.2. Full Kolab support is needed!

By Stephan at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

"Why is Kontakt so buggy?"

In case you didn't notice, these are ALPHA releases! And that means that they are not yet finished. They aren't even beta yet, there are bound to be lots and lots of bugs!

By Janne at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

Because you are probably unable to read. I clarified Kolabs status in like the second post. And yes, Kolab support will be in.

Cheers,
Daniel

By Daniel Molkentin at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

make[5]: Entering directory `/opt/konstruct/kde/kdemultimedia/work/kdemultimedia-3.1.92/kscd'
if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I.. -I/opt/kde3.2-alpha2/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -I/opt/kde3.2-alpha2/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/opt/kde3.2-alpha2/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -D_REENTRANT -Wnon-virtual-dtor -Wno-long-long -Wundef -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -O2 -I/opt/kde3.2-alpha2/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -L/opt/kde3.2-alpha2/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -O2 -pipe -I/opt/kde3.2-alpha2/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -L/opt/kde3.2-alpha2/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -O2 -pipe -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -DQT_NO_STL -DQT_NO_COMPAT -DQT_NO_TRANSLATION -MT kvolumecontrol.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/kvolumecontrol.Tpo" \
-c -o kvolumecontrol.o `test -f 'kvolumecontrol.cpp' || echo './'`kvolumecontrol.cpp; \
then mv -f ".deps/kvolumecontrol.Tpo" ".deps/kvolumecontrol.Po"; \
else rm -f ".deps/kvolumecontrol.Tpo"; exit 1; \
fi
kvolumecontrol.cpp: In member function `virtual bool
KVolumeControl::eventFilter(QObject*, QEvent*)':
kvolumecontrol.cpp:69: error: `KeyPress' undeclared (first use this function)
kvolumecontrol.cpp:69: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
for each function it appears in.)
make[5]: *** [kvolumecontrol.o] Fehler 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/opt/konstruct/kde/kdemultimedia/work/kdemultimedia-3.1.92/kscd'
make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Fehler 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/opt/konstruct/kde/kdemultimedia/work/kdemultimedia-3.1.92/kscd'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Fehler 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/opt/konstruct/kde/kdemultimedia/work/kdemultimedia-3.1.92'
make[2]: *** [all] Fehler 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/konstruct/kde/kdemultimedia/work/kdemultimedia-3.1.92'
make[1]: *** [build-work/kdemultimedia-3.1.92/Makefile] Fehler 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/konstruct/kde/kdemultimedia'
make: *** [dep-../../kde/kdemultimedia] Fehler 2

By razor at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

I get the very same error on SuSE 8.2

Any ideas how to work around this?

By Roland at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

Open kvolumecontrol.cpp, go to line 69, change "KeyPress" into "QEvent::KeyPress", save.

By Frerich Raabe at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

Configure with --enable-final and compile kscd/ separately.

By Anonymous at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

I don't mean to bitch but this really isn't the place for reporting bugs. That is what the mailing lists are for.

By Anonymous at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

Why not? Many people reading this thread are going to Konstruct the named release.

Yours, Kay

By Debian User at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

And Konstruct got a fix in today's version.

By Anonymous at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

last time i tried, switch which mouse wheel doesn't work when view icons on the desktop is disabled (because i like to waste space and stuff).

By not_registered at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

which = with
you better believe it.

By not_registered at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing? Have you done a wish on bugs.kde.org about this?

By Teemu Rytilahti at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

How about searching first? http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=59488

By Anonymous at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

Sure :)

By Teemu Rytilahti at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

When this came up a long time ago I implemented desktop switching by using the mouse over the pager as sort of a compromise.

By Scott Wheeler at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

i remember it did work in one of the 2.x KDE versions, but not so in 3.x
same applies to world-watch as background, and other stuff... why was this functionality removed (if it was, or else how do i activate it), and will it see a "comeback" some time (soon)?

By MaxPayne at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

that's something i'll also like to have

By Heinrich Wendel at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

If we talk about the same, I'm using it (3.1.x):

Activate it via: kcontrol -> Desktop -> behaviour -> check: Programs in the desktop windows

Than goto:
Look and Feel -> Background -> tab background -> in the drop down menu
select background program
After that a little lower is the select or adjust and select your background program there.

Hope this is what you're looking for....

(the menu and tab names are translated into english you need to find the correct ones
yourself)

By Richard Bollinger at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

thanks for the info... finally found it:

---
LookNFeel->Behavior, "Programs in desktop window"

then go to

LookNFeel->Background, tab "Background" (first)->"Setup...", "kwebdesktop"
---

imporvement could be made in making it more configure-friendly (meny entry, right-click on desktop), and more easily "parameterizeable".

thanx again for enlightening me, great work!

By MaxPayne at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

Is there a way to get the same or close to the same functionality from kwebdesktop as you get from Active Desktop. Specifically Kwebdesktop does not seem to show graphics from the web and it would be nice if I could click on links on the desktop. Are things these possible?

By Cyoung at Tue, 2005/08/23 - 5:00am

if /bin/sh ../../../libtool --silent --mode=compile --tag=CXX g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../.. -I/home/wesm/kde3.2-alpha2/include -I/usr/share/qt3/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -I/home/wesm/kde3.2-alpha2/include -I/usr/share/qt3/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/home/wesm/kde3.2-alpha2/include -I/usr/share/qt3/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -D_REENTRANT -Wnon-virtual-dtor -Wno-long-long -Wundef -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -O2 -I/home/wesm/kde3.2-alpha2/include -I/usr/share/qt3/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -L/home/wesm/kde3.2-alpha2/lib -L/usr/share/qt3/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -I/home/wesm/kde3.2-alpha2/include -I/usr/share/qt3/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -L/home/wesm/kde3.2-alpha2/lib -L/usr/share/qt3/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -O2 -pipe -mcpu=7400 -fsigned-char -maltivec -mabi=altivec -mpowerpc-gfxopt -O2 -pipe -mcpu=7400 -fsigned-char -maltivec -mabi=altivec -mpowerpc-gfxopt -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -DQT_NO_STL -DQT_NO_COMPAT -DQT_NO_TRANSLATION -MT libclassparser_la.all_cc.lo -MD -MP -MF ".deps/libclassparser_la.all_cc.Tpo" \
-c -o libclassparser_la.all_cc.lo `test -f 'libclassparser_la.all_cc.cc' || echo './'`libclassparser_la.all_cc.cc; \
then mv -f ".deps/libclassparser_la.all_cc.Tpo" ".deps/libclassparser_la.all_cc.Plo"; \
else rm -f ".deps/libclassparser_la.all_cc.Tpo"; exit 1; \
fi
In file included from ClassParser.h:29,
from ClassParser.cc:20,
from libclassparser_la.all_cc.cc:17:
/usr/include/FlexLexer.h:112: error: redefinition of `class yyFlexLexer'
/usr/include/FlexLexer.h:112: error: previous definition of `class yyFlexLexer'
In file included from ClassParser.cc:20,
from libclassparser_la.all_cc.cc:17:
ClassParser.h: In member function `const char* CClassParser::getText()':
ClassParser.h:133: error: `YYText' undeclared (first use this function)
ClassParser.h:133: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for
each function it appears in.)
ClassParser.h: In member function `int CClassParser::getLineno()':
ClassParser.h:138: error: `lineno' undeclared (first use this function)
make[6]: *** [libclassparser_la.all_cc.lo] Error 1
make[6]: Leaving directory `/home/wesm/konstruct/kde/kdesdk/work/kdesdk-3.1.92/umbrello/umbrello/classparser'
make[5]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/wesm/konstruct/kde/kdesdk/work/kdesdk-3.1.92/umbrello/umbrello'
make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/wesm/konstruct/kde/kdesdk/work/kdesdk-3.1.92/umbrello'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/wesm/konstruct/kde/kdesdk/work/kdesdk-3.1.92'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/wesm/konstruct/kde/kdesdk/work/kdesdk-3.1.92'
make[1]: *** [build-work/kdesdk-3.1.92/Makefile] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/wesm/konstruct/kde/kdesdk'
make: *** [dep-../../kde/kdesdk] Error 2

Anyone else getting this? I'm running Debian sid / powerpc.

By BassHombre at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am