SEP
2003

Second KDE 3.2 Alpha "Tereza" Released

As the first beta has been delayed to finish more PIM features, we're proud to present the second alpha release of KDE 3.2. The first alpha was already seen as a very strong release and the second one is even better with 1374 bugs closed in the last 31 days. The major changes are the import of KSVG and KPDF into the KDE distribution, along with a major rewrite of the window manager. You can download the new release here. The are currently no binary packages, but you can of course use Konstruct to build it. Please give this one a good testing as we'll be moving to the beta phase next.

Comments

Works fine for me on SuSE 8.2. Change to kde/kdesdk/, remove "--enable-final" from Makefile and try again after a "make garchive clean".

By Anonymous at Sat, 2003/09/27 - 5:00am

ok, got it working now (see prev. post from me). however there are a few points I have to criticize (which i'd like to be discussed before filing a feature/improvement request):

1. focused on kwebdesktop
1.1 no interaction w/ webpage

1.2. only one "window" (active border), full screen, can run (ok, this can be "hacked" by using creating a "master frame" which then loads in each frame a website...)

2. not just kwebdosk focused:
2.1. only one "program" can run at the same time, even if you deactivate "Common background"

2.2. only one program / desktop, full screen, can run

there's prob. lots more that could be done here, i'm looking forward to input!

By MaxPayne at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

That's why I submitted a bug report about that a while back.

Check it out and vote for it: http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=62797

By Alex at Sat, 2003/09/27 - 5:00am

I call a script that fetches a few parts of different pages and load that with kwebdestop, like > sh ./getback && kwebdestop %x %y %f /tmp/tmp.html

needs a delay or wait til 'done rendering' signal before creating an image from the page.

the last image on the html page only renders 10% - 20%

when I view the tmp.html in konqueror it looks fine.

screenshot attached.

By Rick Paq at Thu, 2004/11/25 - 6:00am

looks like a clever approach - any idea how to make it fully work?

By max at Sat, 2004/11/27 - 6:00am

loads pics about 80% of the time now

turned up the ht caches (keep synced) via konqueror settings
seems to help but...

superkaramba gives me a nice 5day 4cast

I still use kwebdesktop to show radar images updated hourly as my
desktop background. here's a snap.

By Rick Paq at Sun, 2004/11/28 - 6:00am

Is KHTML engine in Konqueror from KDE 3.2a the one with those Apple's patches? Or the old one?

By marcoos at Fri, 2003/09/26 - 5:00am

Don't think it's bundled with all the patches Apple made up till Safari 1.0, but it does have a good number of patches.

Anyway, don't think that Apple's patches ar eso amazing jsut because they have good name recognition, KDE developers ar ethe ones who have done most of the work on KHTML. Apple is not even using the same branch. Remember apple selected KhTML not the other way around.

By Alex at Sat, 2003/09/27 - 5:00am

However, why did they create their own branch?

By branch at Thu, 2003/10/02 - 5:00am

> Is KHTML engine in Konqueror from KDE 3.2a the one with those Apple's patches?'

Some of Apple's patches. Plus it's own updated stuff.

By AC at Sat, 2003/09/27 - 5:00am

I've compiled it using konstruct (great tool, thanks guys!) and it simply rocks so far (only kdebase).
I'm star to think about replacing the 3.1.3! Way to go kde!

By Iuri Fiedoruk at Sat, 2003/09/27 - 5:00am

Good idea! 3.1.4 has been out a while.

By Anonymous Yello... at Sat, 2003/09/27 - 5:00am

heheheh, I'm going to miss this one and go 3.2 ahead ;)
Found few bugs in khtml, but so far, it's very stable, so I can use it daily.

By Iuri Fiedoruk at Sat, 2003/09/27 - 5:00am

After hours of compiling, I'm now trying to run KDE 3.2 Alpha 2. When I run startkde from the kde3.2-alpha2 directory, it just loads my old KDE though.
What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

By Z_God at Sat, 2003/09/27 - 5:00am

IMHO the best way to test a new KDE release is to add a new unix user (e.g. kdetester) since you have a lot of environment variables to be set.
Ensure that:
* PATH contains kde3.2alpha2/bin directory before the main kde3/bin entry
* KDEDIR is set to kde3.2alpha2
do this by adding the following lines to your .bashrc or .profile:
export PATH="kde3.2-alpha2/bin:"$PATH;
export KDEDIR="kde3.2-alpha2";

By Ruediger Knoerig at Sat, 2003/09/27 - 5:00am

Where can our bashrc or .profile be found?

Can you provide a screenshot of you editing this so we can see what it looks like. I dont mean the commands but I want to know what the proper way to edit a bashrc or profile is, by the way I use Redhat 9.

By linuxNEWBEE at Mon, 2003/09/29 - 5:00am

In your $HOME directory (~/)

exemple : more ~/.bashrc
... if you're using bash, of course.

By SANNIER Jean-Ba... at Tue, 2003/09/30 - 5:00am

Each time I open it, KNode will ask me for a "wallet" password, or complain "wallet manager not running". It is REALLY BORING!. And I cannot find a way to disable KNode looking for its "wallet".

I have to say, just because of this boring KNode, KDE 3.2 gives me more nagative impressions.

By Jeff at Sun, 2003/09/28 - 5:00am

Some other bad features of KNODE

First, why cant I select the application I want to open a file? With pictures if I dont want them to open inline and I want kuickshow to open them why cant I do this?

Why cant I just "launch" files and not save them? Why cant I preview pictures in thumbnail form inline and click to have it launch fully in my application of choice? I'd like to have all of Free Agents best features, I want better handling of binaries, I'd like the ability to launch movies in one click meaning I highlight the file it downloads, unrars, decodes and begins playing in my application of choice.

Id like these features, if any Knode developers are watching thats what we want.

By linuxNEWBEE at Mon, 2003/09/29 - 5:00am

Why can't they make Knode works like Xnews. Xnews is simply, powerful and easy to use.

By Alan at Sat, 2003/11/15 - 6:00am

The problem with knode is that for the last three years, there has been a lack of developers, especially compared to kmail. Pretty much a random group of people is developing knode ATM, none of which knode is their main app that they develop. Help is always needed =)

By anon at Sat, 2003/11/15 - 6:00am

Here is the error message I get compiling ksim on my RedHat 8.x box with net-snmp-devel-5.0.6-8.80.2 installed:

if /bin/sh ../../../libtool --silent --mode=compile --tag=CXX g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../.. -I../../../ksim/library -I/usr/local/kde3.2-alpha2/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -I/usr/local/kde3.2-alpha2/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/local/kde3.2-alpha2/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -D_REENTRANT -Wnon-virtual-dtor -Wno-long-long -Wundef -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -O2 -I/usr/local/kde3.2-alpha2/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -L/usr/local/kde3.2-alpha2/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -O2 -pipe -I/usr/local/kde3.2-alpha2/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -L/usr/local/kde3.2-alpha2/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -O2 -pipe -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -DQT_NO_STL -DQT_NO_COMPAT -DQT_NO_TRANSLATION -MT ksim_snmp_la.all_cpp.lo -MD -MP -MF ".deps/ksim_snmp_la.all_cpp.Tpo" \
-c -o ksim_snmp_la.all_cpp.lo `test -f 'ksim_snmp_la.all_cpp.cpp' || echo './'`ksim_snmp_la.all_cpp.cpp; \
then mv -f ".deps/ksim_snmp_la.all_cpp.Tpo" ".deps/ksim_snmp_la.all_cpp.Plo"; \
else rm -f ".deps/ksim_snmp_la.all_cpp.Tpo"; exit 1; \
fi
In file included from ksim_snmp_la.all_cpp.cpp:5:
snmp.cpp:33: warning: non-static const member `const int
EnumStringMapInfo::enumValue' in class without a constructor
snmp.cpp:35: warning: non-static const member `const char
EnumStringMapInfo::snmpLibConstant' in class without a constructor
snmp.cpp:37: `SNMP_VERSION_1' was not declared in this scope
snmp.cpp:258: `SNMP_ERR_UNDOFAILED' was not declared in this scope
snmp.cpp:259: `SNMP_ERR_AUTHORIZATIONERROR' was not declared in this scope
snmp.cpp:260: `SNMP_ERR_NOTWRITABLE' was not declared in this scope
snmp.cpp:261: `SNMP_ERR_INCONSISTENTNAME' was not declared in this scope
In file included from ksim_snmp_la.all_cpp.cpp:5:
snmp.cpp: In function `QString messageForErrorCode(int)':
snmp.cpp:294: `SNMP_ERR_NOERROR' undeclared (first use this function)
snmp.cpp:294: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each
function it appears in.)
snmp.cpp:294: `MAX_SNMP_ERR' undeclared (first use this function)
In file included from ksim_snmp_la.all_cpp.cpp:7:
value.cpp: In constructor `KSim::Snmp::ValueImpl::ValueImpl(variable_list*)':
value.cpp:89: `SNMP_NOSUCHOBJECT' undeclared (first use this function)
value.cpp:93: `SNMP_NOSUCHINSTANCE' undeclared (first use this function)
value.cpp:97: `SNMP_ENDOFMIBVIEW' undeclared (first use this function)
In file included from ksim_snmp_la.all_cpp.cpp:15:
session.cpp: In member function `bool KSim::Snmp::Session::snmpGetInternal(int,
const KSim::Snmp::IdentifierList&, KSim::Snmp::ValueMap&,
KSim::Snmp::ErrorInfo*)':
session.cpp:73: `SNMP_MSG_GETNEXT' undeclared (first use this function)
In file included from ksim_snmp_la.all_cpp.cpp:15:
session.cpp: In member function `bool KSim::Snmp::Session::snmpGet(const
KSim::Snmp::IdentifierList&, KSim::Snmp::ValueMap&,
KSim::Snmp::ErrorInfo*)':
session.cpp:249: `SNMP_MSG_GET' undeclared (first use this function)
make[6]: *** [ksim_snmp_la.all_cpp.lo] Error 1

By Johannes Grosen at Mon, 2003/09/29 - 5:00am

I had the same problem. Install Net-SNMP from source (http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/), then run ldconfig and try the kdeutils install again. In my case, I also had to copy /usr/local/lib/libnetsnmp.so to /usr/lib/libnetsnmp.so.

By Travis Williams at Sat, 2005/06/11 - 5:00am

Hi boyz! I've been compiling this beta of KDE all night, having no troubles at all during the compiling session (wow! :-) ) But, as soon as I finished, I could see that no jpeg image can be loaded as background (I say, using the Control Panel I cannot see jpeg images as a preview, nor use it to put onto background, even if .png images are correctly showed and can freely be used...)
The strange thing is that libjpeg are correctly installed, and the same images I can't even see from the control panel are showed with no trouble by Konqueror, and others built in viewers.....

Can someone help me before I go mad? ;-) Thx to all of you!

By Marcello at Tue, 2003/09/30 - 5:00am

Hi!

Check the options when compiling KDE and QT. "./configure --help"

By henrik at Thu, 2003/10/02 - 5:00am

Hi,

I have the same problem in the stable release of KDE 3.1.4. How can this problem be solved?

Thx,

Tom

By Tom at Wed, 2003/12/10 - 6:00am

If you've got this problem running a "stable" version of KDE, you can solve it simple recompiling your qt adding to the ./configure options the flag --system-libjpeg (but be sure libjpeg have already been compiled 'n installed on your system). Then recompile also kde, and all shall function.....

By U1iu5ca35ar at Wed, 2003/12/10 - 6:00am

Is it also possible to solve this problem without compling packages myself. Is it possible to make sure that qt is cleanly reinstalled as it is provided on the stable servers? I suppose that those versions are compiled with the right options to allow jpg images as background?

By Tom at Wed, 2003/12/10 - 6:00am

Mmmmmh...... I don't know how to see what options qt has been compiled with.... It sounds like you're using a pre-compiled version..... Aren't you? I say, you are using the same qt your distribution installed at the setup time, aren't you? So, what is the distribution you r using?

By U1iu5ca35ar at Wed, 2003/12/10 - 6:00am

Yes, is is a pre-compiled version and installed at set-up time. I use the Debian stable distribution and the latest stable version of KDE (3.1.4).

By Tom at Wed, 2003/12/10 - 6:00am

It's sounds quite strange.... Debian's pre-compiled qt are configured for jpeg support.... Have you already tried to re-install libjpeg?

By U1iu5ca35ar at Wed, 2003/12/10 - 6:00am

apt-get --reinstall install libjpeg

says

Can't find package libjpeg

Is it the wrong name for the package?

By Tom at Wed, 2003/12/10 - 6:00am

I think you'd better try to download original libjpeg sources, and compile 'em.... the link is

[url]http://www.ijg.org/files/jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz[\url]

Gotta only follow the instructions in the INSTALL file.....

By U1iu5ca35ar at Wed, 2003/12/10 - 6:00am

I have the same problem as Marcello and have compiled libjpeg6b, I do have a pre-built QT, but it's the same QT being used by my KDE3.1 installation and that works, plus I'm pretty sure the 3.2 beta DID work in this respect. I'm going round the bend with this problem - did you get anywhere Marcello?

Cheers,
Matthew

By Matthew at Wed, 2004/01/28 - 6:00am

No, Sorry matthew but I wasn't able to have that problem fixed...I even have no time to study the source and try to find the reason why... I'm now using the 3.1.5 release, and I've got no problem at all.....It's possible that there's noone out there that have had this trouble fixed? ;-)

By U1iu5ca35ar at Wed, 2004/01/28 - 6:00am

Any Suggestions?

checking for Java... configure: error: Incorrect version of /usr/include//jni.h.
You need to have Java Development Kit (JDK) version 1.2.

Use --with-java to specify another location.
Use --without-java to configure without java support.
Or download a newer JDK and try again.
See e.g. http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2
make[1]: *** [configure-work/kdebase-3.1.92/configure] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jjohnston/src/konstruct/kde/kdebase'
make: *** [dep-../../kde/kdebase] Error 2

$ sudo dpkg -l j2sdk1.4
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
+++-===================-===================-======================================================
ii j2sdk1.4 1.4.0.99beta-1 Blackdown Java(TM) 2 SDK, Standard Edition

By Jayme Johnston at Thu, 2003/10/02 - 5:00am

Knoppix is a live CD Linux you can install rpm's or anything there ... use a normal distro... like Conectiva, Debian, Mandrake, Slackware... or Red Hat...

By Joaquim Andrade... at Thu, 2003/10/02 - 5:00am

Knoppix is installed on the hard drive. It *IS* debian. It uses the same deb packages. Besides the error is really with the Debian java package.
Is this a known issue?

--Jayme

By Jayme Johnston at Thu, 2003/10/02 - 5:00am

Just had exactly the same problem with Knoppix 3.3 on my harddisk. The following seems to work:

- I downloaded jdk 1.2 from http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2 (as suggested by the error message)
- I included the jdk directory in my PATH variable (as suggested in Sun's installation info)
- I set a symlink from /usr/local/jdk1.2.2/include/jni.h to /usr/include/jni.h

I wonder wether a newer Java sdk version (1.3 or 1.4) could be used.

Hauke

By Hauke Hell at Sun, 2003/10/19 - 5:00am

One very inportant tool for Linux/UNIX users are ssh. Telnet is at least for me, dead since it is not too secure.
SSH is partly secure and easy to access the servers with, and for KDE there is this great tool kssh. Why is a tool so central to Linux/UNIX administration not part of KDE?
I'm asking just to understand this, I'm sure there is a perfectly good explanation.

Other than that, KDE-3.2-alpha is really super, but so is KDE-3.1 :-)

By Jarl E. Gjessing at Sat, 2003/10/04 - 5:00am

It was never proposed by the developer so there was never a reason to consider inclusion?

By Anonymous at Sat, 2003/10/04 - 5:00am

What's so important about kssh? I used it once, and there was nothing there that seemed to be particularly newsworthy. Fortunately, the ssh frontend I would recommend is still included: Konsole. Would be a bit odd if THAT was removed ;-)

By Andreas Steffen at Wed, 2003/10/08 - 5:00am

Don't get me wrong. I'm able to type ssh ... :-)
It's just that kssh is a great tool for quickly accessing hosts via SSH
And many people like gadgets like this, that makes life easier.
Actually it took me some time getting used to using kssh, but now I really feel it as being a great tool.

For me, it is easier to make a std. option in kssh and then select a host rather than doing ssh -X -C... hostname -lname
For others these tools are almost an annoyance.

By Jarl E. Gjessing at Thu, 2003/10/09 - 5:00am

Hi!
I run Gentoo, and right now I'm using 3.2alpha1, compiled from portage. However, the kde-i18n package is still at version 3.1.4, and appearantly, unable to generate a german language setting, leaving me with US-English. Now I can work with that, but I'd rather have german. Would 3.2alpha2 do the trick?

By Andreas Steffen at Wed, 2003/10/08 - 5:00am

Just update your kde-i18n ebuild. Or ask at http://forums.gentoo.org/ for help.

By Anonymous at Thu, 2003/10/09 - 5:00am

Building kde-i18n-de (3.2.0_alph2) crashes with this message:

make[5]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/kde-i18n-3.2.0_alpha2/work/kde-i18n-de-3.1.92/docs/kdemultimedia/artsbuilder'
make[5]: Für das Ziel »all-am« ist nichts zu tun.
make[5]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/kde-i18n-3.2.0_alpha2/work/kde-i18n-de-3.1.92/docs/kdemultimedia/artsbuilder'
index.docbook:6: validity error: Element appendix content does not follow the DTD
Expecting (appendixinfo? , (title , subtitle? , titleabbrev?) , (toc | lot | index | glossary | bibliography)* , tocchap? , (((calloutlist | glosslist | itemizedlist | orderedlist | segmentedlist | simplelist | variablelist | caution | important | note | tip | warning | literallayout | programlisting | programlistingco | screen | screenco | screenshot | synopsis | cmdsynopsis | funcsynopsis | classsynopsis | fieldsynopsis | constructorsynopsis | destructorsynopsis | methodsynopsis | formalpara | para | simpara | address | blockquote | graphic | graphicco | mediaobject | mediaobjectco | informalequation | informalexample | informalfigure | informaltable | equation | example | figure | table | msgset | procedure | sidebar | qandaset | anchor | bridgehead | remark | highlights | abstract | authorblurb | epigraph | indexterm | beginpage)+ , (sect1* | refentry* | simplesect* | section*)) | sect1+ | refentry+ | simplesect+ | section+) , (toc | lot | index | glossary | bibliography)*), got (title )

^

Who do I have to contact?

By Master of Disaster at Mon, 2003/10/13 - 5:00am

> Who do I have to contact?

Gentoo KDE maintainer(s), http://bugs.gentoo.org/

By Anonymous at Mon, 2003/10/13 - 5:00am

But this problem has apparantly nothing to do with Gentoo, it seems that one of he translators screwed up one .xml file.

By Master of Disaster at Mon, 2003/10/13 - 5:00am

Nothing? So why had I no problems with kde-i18n-de-3.1.92.tar.bz2 on SuSE 8.2?

By Anonymous at Mon, 2003/10/13 - 5:00am