DEC
2003

KDevelop: New Qt Based Smartphone with KDevelop SDK

A new Linux based smartphone by Samsung was announced recently. The SCH-i519 phone runs a Linux distribution produced by Mizi Research Inc. The user interface is based on Qt, and according to their web site, the SDK they provide is based on KDevelop! Congratulations to Trolltech for yet another phone using Qt, and to the KDevelop team for producing the best IDE available on Linux!

Comments

Wanna get one of those :)

By Stormy at Wed, 2003/12/17 - 6:00am

During my visit to SoftExpo 2003 in Seoul this month I met the GUI developer team for this device (and of course got to play with it for a while). A very ambitious and talented group.

One of the interesting things I learned is that the device uses Qt Free Edition / X11 rather than Qt Embedded.

It also has a very nice MPEG3 video player.

If the device does well in China we may very well see a US / European version . . .

By Dre at Wed, 2003/12/17 - 6:00am

Updated the article... There is a Qt Free Edition / Embedded, btw.

By Navindra Umanee at Wed, 2003/12/17 - 6:00am

Thank you for your admiration.

Now we've to work again without any vacation
for next product and food.

I'm sorry for our poor documentation and insufficient materials.

By Seo Young-Jin -... at Wed, 2003/12/17 - 6:00am

damn good!

I want this phone!

Happy XMAS ;)
trapni.

By Christian Parpart at Wed, 2003/12/17 - 6:00am

Your work looks stunning and beautiful. Thanks!

I agree, I want this phone. :-)

By KDE User at Wed, 2003/12/17 - 6:00am

Wow, that looks nice. I've sure been waiting for something like this.

By TomL at Thu, 2003/12/18 - 6:00am

KDevelop 3 is really getting damn sweet. Everyone please get those last minute bugs into bugs.kde.org!

By Ian Reinhart Geiser at Wed, 2003/12/17 - 6:00am

Seeing as it's so good, and I agree, it really is, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can we get it released some day so we can actually use it! :)

David

By David Pye at Wed, 2003/12/17 - 6:00am

Just use Beta 2 or CVS.

By Anonymous at Thu, 2003/12/18 - 6:00am

Not a PDA... i have also played with the specially designed China Unicom phone (Samsung, CDMA) and I am not as impressed. It is big and cumbersome and it doesn't have video features. Maybe it can do more once they decide to use Qt/Embedded instead of suffering with X11.

More interesting though, A-760 is going pretty well for the GSM market; still not a tri-mode phone but coming next year.

However, Linux is rockin!! now, there are three phones in the market in China and more to come next year for sure.

Has anyone seen a Qtopia phone yet? I think this is next step from Trolltech.

By Phone Geek at Wed, 2003/12/17 - 6:00am