APR
2004

OpenOffice.org 1.1.1 with KDE NWF and KDE Icons

OpenOffice.org 1.1.1 with KDE Native Widget Framework and KDE Crystal icon set is now available for download. If you are interested in screenshots, you can have a look at pictures of OOo Writer, OOo Calc or at a KDE desktop running OOo.

Download: Installation set for Linux i386 (~80MB).

Features:

If you want to help, there is a great opportunity for you to improve the icons. Please read the icon FAQ on where to start.

Comments

but just d/l it... hopefully it's great too if I work with it :-)

Now, I'm using StarOffice7update2. Can I implement the addon features from StarOffice7 into this ooo-kde release?

Hmm, now I'm think a bit more after this hard day. Is this version multilanguage? I need a german version...

Thanx for your answers!

By Anonymous at Thu, 2004/04/22 - 5:00am

What features? For non-code parts I can say that I have archived samples/templates/gallery/fonts of the last Star Office Beta and decompress them everytime into the designated OOo target directory before installing OOo. Works fine.

By Anonymous at Thu, 2004/04/22 - 5:00am

Tabs don't look alright, but otherwise good stuff. Looking forward to OpenOffice.org 2.0 with further integration (native feel, file dialog, printer dialog, ...).

By Anonymous at Thu, 2004/04/22 - 5:00am

Can anyone tell me if version 2 is going to be using GTK, QT or will it continue to use the existing toolkit?

I've heard the currently when you open Writer - Calc, Draw, etc. is also running in the process in the background. Will the apps be separated to run in their own process and only when called?

If anyone can answer these questions or give me a link to a resource it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

By Darin at Thu, 2004/04/22 - 5:00am

They don't seem to mention KDE integration anywhere.

By OI at Thu, 2004/04/22 - 5:00am

Sun are probably preferring Gnome integration, but Open Office will never be a Gnome app. Why? Open Office has to run on Windows and Macs, and fit in. KDE integration? That's what this project is about.

By David at Thu, 2004/04/22 - 5:00am

Wouldn't it make that much more sense, then, to use QT since it can be compiled for several platforms easily?

By Mike Tangolics at Fri, 2004/04/23 - 5:00am

No, as the OOo own widget set is LGPL and QT us either commercial, QPL or GPL.

By anno at Fri, 2004/04/23 - 5:00am

GTK is available on windows to, so it doesn't have to be a full gnome app (or KDE app, I don't mind) , as long as it uses GTK or QT.

By Kukeltje at Sat, 2004/04/24 - 5:00am

Yup, because /Sun/ doesn't have any plans to do much KDE integration. OpenOffice however, is a open project, and other people can do it, like Novell is with Jan.

By anon at Thu, 2004/04/22 - 5:00am

It isn't going to focus on any toolkit - Open Office is multi-platform.

By David at Thu, 2004/04/22 - 5:00am

GTK and QT are multi-platform toolkits so that would not hinder OOo from using one of them.

By John at Thu, 2004/04/22 - 5:00am

> I've heard rumors of them moving to GTK for version 2 but I haven't seen it confirmed.

Yeah, OpenOffice 2.0 will allow native frontend. Sun is planning to develop Windows, GNOME (gtk), OSX, Swing, and possibly other frontends. Novell/SUSE is sponsoring Jan to do the KDE NWF and future native KDE/Qt frontend.

By anon at Thu, 2004/04/22 - 5:00am

Erm - wouldn't it be much nicer if these screenshots were saved as PNG?
These JPGs look really ugly...

But anyway - nice job!
I'm now waiting for a german version :-)

By SegFault II. at Thu, 2004/04/22 - 5:00am

...never use the native language in your applications! If you use another language (eg. english instead of german) then you can improve your skill there. I for myself have KDE running in spanish since a month so I practice words like a background-process ;-) Klappt echt ganz gut soweit - man kennt ja eh fast alle Knöpfe und Dialoge auswendig *g*

By Andreas Pietzowski at Thu, 2004/04/22 - 5:00am

.. Great!

although I see some sence in this (as meanwhile I am used to communicate in english), you will get a lot of new user, promoting this idea.

Ever thought of the idea to *work* with your desktop?

By Andre at Fri, 2004/04/23 - 5:00am

Ya know, there are a lot of people still on modems...

I'm one of them.

Please realize that you are actually in the minority with your broadband connection.

By Xanadu at Fri, 2004/04/23 - 5:00am

Please realize that broadband connections are the future *everywhere*. I like the bright and shiny broadband future and I'm curious what more it holds. You might like it, too.

By he-sk at Fri, 2004/04/23 - 5:00am

These JPG's look completely normal! Why should anyone be made to download a huge PNG to see exactly the same thing but waiting far longer.

By Piotrek at Thu, 2004/05/06 - 5:00am

/home/bni/Temp/sv001.tmp/setup.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstartup-notification-1.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Installation Completed

Using current Debian unstable

By bni at Thu, 2004/04/22 - 5:00am

Try to install on the command line: ./install --prefix=PREFIX

By Anonymous at Thu, 2004/04/22 - 5:00am

doesn't work here

By Mathieu Chouinard at Thu, 2004/04/22 - 5:00am

I had to install startup notification to make this work ;-)

but still it crashes (after being installed) when I move the window o oo writer in the screen...

By Giovanni Venturi at Thu, 2004/04/22 - 5:00am

I am sorry to hear that :( Probably it will be safest for you to build yourself an own version; the binary package was build on a very up-to-date system (SUSE 9.1).

By Jan Holesovsky at Fri, 2004/04/23 - 5:00am

mmm...
but I HAVE a very up-to-date system... :(
gentoo 2004.0
gcc 3.3.2
linux 2.6.5
Xorg (X11R6.7.0, based on xfree 4.4rc2)
kde 3.2.2
qt3.3.1

mmm...if it's not a known bug...it's a very strange problem :|

By Giovanni Venturi at Fri, 2004/04/23 - 5:00am

So maybe your system is too up-to-date? :) Please, could you try to build your own version? You already lacked the startup-notification, maybe some other incompatibility (with my build system) is biting you here...

By Jan Holesovsky at Fri, 2004/04/23 - 5:00am

apt-get install libstartup-notification0

;-)

By Huebi at Sun, 2004/04/25 - 5:00am

Don't know if anybody is still paying attention to this thread... I installed the KDE-ified version previously on a Gentoo 2004.2 system, and it worked like a charm. Just today I tried to install it on a very similar system, and ran into the same troubles you are describing.

The solution: Install the regular version of OOo first (e.g. in /usr), and then the KDE version parallel to it (e.g. in /usr/local). Works like a charm for me.

Klaus

By Klaus Voelker at Sat, 2004/08/07 - 5:00am

I hope KDE file and printing dialogs come soon too!
I'll probably wait for SuSE 9.1 to get it. Nice work :)

J.A.

P.S.:
I might have mentioned this before, but here it goes again.
This is a really *nasty* bug for KDE OpenOffice users, my sis nearly lost an entire document over it. Only 3 votes so far, some more wouldn't hurt.
DnD pictures from Konqueror to OODraw problem:

Thanks

By Jorge Adriano at Thu, 2004/04/22 - 5:00am

Don't forget that you can already use the KDE Printer Dialog, although with a small workaround.

Specify 'kprinter' as the printing command. No arguments.

By MathieuK at Thu, 2004/04/22 - 5:00am

Hi,

I installed OOo as root in /opt/OOo1.1.1 but then when I start it as user my settings are not saved. It works with OOo1.1.0 but not within 1.1.1.

Can anyone reproduce this or does anyone have a hint how to get it workin? I searched in the usenet but only found the same problem reported under Win98 and I guess this is maybe due to other problems in that specific OS ;-)

Thanx for help
Pietz

By Andreas Pietzowski at Thu, 2004/04/22 - 5:00am

With a regular OOo binary install, you set it up at the command line with

./setup -net

to run it with multiple users. I don't know whether ooo-build allows a similar option on the ./configure line - must be there somewhere.

By Dominic Cleal at Thu, 2004/04/22 - 5:00am

The linked binary has the same (ok, other look :-) ./setup as a regular OOo binary.

By Anonymous at Thu, 2004/04/22 - 5:00am

...why does it not mimic the toolbar and pusbutton behaviour? i.e. the icons opn the toolbars do not move when pressed - and neither does the text on the pushbuttons.

Also, shouldn't the UI font be set from the KDE general font?

By Craig at Thu, 2004/04/22 - 5:00am

Maybe because you didn't contribute the code for that feature yet? Get your ass in front of your computer and start coding! I would also like to see these improvements in the future ;)

SCNR
Pietz

By Andreas Pietzowski at Thu, 2004/04/22 - 5:00am

> ...why does it not mimic the toolbar and pusbutton behaviour?

Because the Native Widget Framework doesn't support it? OpenOffice.org 2.0 will allow this too.

By Anonymous at Thu, 2004/04/22 - 5:00am

But the original OO.o does move the icons on toolbars when pressed - and the same for the text on the buttons. So why is this changed?

By Craig at Fri, 2004/04/23 - 5:00am

Not all styles look good when the text on the button changes, so it is safer not to move the text---that is why it is the default behavior with NWF. And nobody implemented passing of QStyle::PM_ButtonShiftHorizontal and QStyle::PM_ButtonShiftVertical (http://doc.trolltech.com/3.2/qstyle.html) to NWF so far; I'm adding it to my TODO.

By Jan Holesovsky at Fri, 2004/04/23 - 5:00am

OK - fair enough! Its just one of my pet peaves - the reason I never used GNOME in the GTK1.x days was because the icons on toolbars, and text on buttons, did not move! (Hence on my QtCurve styles I hacked the Gtk1 draw_sting function to get it to move the damn text on being pressed... never figured out how to do it for icons, :-( )

Some styles embolden the text of the default button - anyway this could also be mimiced?

Is there a way to set the OO.o UI scren font size? I've had to adjust the Tools/Options/View/Scale to 110% so that the OO.o UI is the same pixel size as the rest of KDE.

Well, enven in its present state it looks fantastic - so much nicer than the horrible semi-windows style default look...

By Craig at Fri, 2004/04/23 - 5:00am

I don't want to download the whole package again to get better KDE integration... Isn't there a patch? OR will future OOo versions eventually get --enable-kde build flags to enable this stuff?

By etoibmys at Fri, 2004/04/23 - 5:00am

An xdelta patch against the original OOo 1.1.1 tar[.gz] is still over 50MB.
The source patches are of course much smaller. :-)

By Anonymous at Fri, 2004/04/23 - 5:00am

Yes the source patches are smaller, but I guess a bulid would
take a lot of disk space. If I remember corrrectly several gigabytes.
And also many hours to build.

By Uno Engborg at Fri, 2004/04/23 - 5:00am

Do you mean a patch against the binary package, or the sources? If you mean the sources, you do not have to download OOo 1.1.1 once more, just copy it to src/ subdir of your ooo-build and configure ooo-build to use your version. ooo-build is the set of patches you are probably calling for.

For --enable-kde see http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=26571 (target milestone OOo 2.0); but I have to finish the KDE vclplug first.

By Jan Holesovsky at Fri, 2004/04/23 - 5:00am

After installing the KDE look and feel for OpenOffice I can no longer see my formulas. E.g. the Sum looks like a square. How can I fix this ?

By Onno Hommes at Fri, 2004/04/23 - 5:00am

Hello,

I'd like to make a french version of Ooo-Kde with ooo-build. Does anyone know what should I change in ooo-build for this ?

By Laurent Rathle at Fri, 2004/04/23 - 5:00am

With ooo-build, you should get all the language versions out of the box after make install. If not, just install from /build/OOO_1_1_1/instsetoo/unxlngi4.pro/XX/normal/, where XX is code for your language; I am sorry, I am not sure what it is for French at the moment.

By Jan Holesovsky at Fri, 2004/04/23 - 5:00am

I still can't understand why OpenOffice dosen't use module for translations. I know this is possible because Mandrake does this way, but if you go to openoffice.org you have , for example, a complete english installation and a complete brazilian portuguese installation... what a waste...
Now I've installed this shiny new openoffice with Qt widgets and it dosen't speak portuguese...

By Iuri Fiedoruk at Fri, 2004/04/23 - 5:00am

beautiful work but spadmin option for install new font are deleted and font in formula not working anymore. You not use this version if you need mathematical formula.

By stefano ferraro at Fri, 2004/04/23 - 5:00am