JUL
2004

Linux Magazine: KolourPaint and KRecipes

In its current issue Linux Magazine introduces the upcoming paint program of KDE 3.3 KolourPaint (PDF) to its readers. A second story describes the installation and features of the recipes manager KRecipes (PDF, German HTML) which recently moved from kdenonbeta to kdeextragear-3 module.

Comments

By Martin at Sun, 2004/07/04 - 5:00am

I read Kolourpaint was BSD license? I prefer this license for applications, the gpl for system infrastructure.

Is there a development plan for Kolourpaint?

By hein at Sun, 2004/07/04 - 5:00am

> Is there a development plan for Kolourpaint?

Sorry to bang the same drum again, but it needs to be said.

I hope that KolorPaint will also be developed so that it can do the same basic things for SVG vector graphics as well.

It would also be nice if it could deal with both at the same time -- output should be HTML, XHTML, XML, etc.

JRT

By James Richard Tyrer at Tue, 2004/07/06 - 5:00am

> > Is there a development plan for Kolourpaint?
> Sorry to bang the same drum again, but it needs to be said.

Read the TODO file or the KDE 3.3 feature plan.

> I hope that KolorPaint will also be developed so that it can do the
> same basic things for SVG vector graphics as well.

Maybe if there was a "KolourDraw" :)

By ddd at Wed, 2004/07/07 - 5:00am

Would be a nice little project for James to learn C++ with. Maybe make use of the new KCanvas in kdenonbeta, slap a simple GUI around it, and presto.

By Boudewijn Rempt at Wed, 2004/07/07 - 5:00am

It isn't C++, I simply can't figure out KDE programing. :-)

Is there a tutorial somewhere??

JRT

By James Richard Tyrer at Thu, 2004/07/08 - 5:00am

I didn't use a specific KDE tutorial myself: I started out years ago with Python and Qt, and translated the C++ Qt tutorials into Python. And then I transferred my Python and Qt knowledge to doing C++ and KDE.

But I've seen quite a few tutorials come by on the Dot. Wait a minute... Searching... Yes: here's one: http://perso.wanadoo.es/antlarr/tutorial/index.html. And there's the documentation inside KDevelop, too, and Qt's help pages.

By Boudewijn Rempt at Thu, 2004/07/08 - 5:00am

If you want tutorials for C++, many people recommend trying the Qt tutorials first.

Then they are a few KDE specific tutorials at: http://developer.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/index.html

There is the KDE 2 development book: http://developer.kde.org/documentation/books/kde-2.0-development/index.html It is for KDE 2 but the basics have not change too much (see the 2 porting files in kdelibs).

And may be there are other useful resources in http://developer.kde.org/documentation or somewhere else in http://developer.kde.org

Have a nice day!

By Nicolas Goutte at Thu, 2004/07/08 - 5:00am

> If you want tutorials for C++, many people recommend trying the Qt tutorials > first.

I should have figured that nobody would get the joke.

The question was whether there was a tutorial for KDE programing.

I have no problem with C++. But, what nobody seems to notice is that KDE programs are so different from ordinary C++ that they might as well be a different programing language.

I found this out when I tried to make some very minor changes to KMenuEdit. Changes which would have been very simple to make to a program written in a procedural language and would probably have been possible in a C++ program, but since this is a KDE program, I haven't yet been able to even figure out how it works.

JRT

By James Richard Tyrer at Fri, 2004/07/09 - 5:00am

> Maybe if there was a "KolourDraw"

Perhaps you missed my point.

Try to think outside of the box. Why do we need two separate applications when you often need to use both bitmaps and vectors together? Do you want to use two separate applications and then try to paste the results together with Quanta?

JRT

By James Richard Tyrer at Thu, 2004/07/08 - 5:00am

It would be nice if the pointless KPaint in KDE could replaced by KolourPaint.

By Markus Gans at Sun, 2004/07/04 - 5:00am

It already is.

By Anonymous at Sun, 2004/07/04 - 5:00am

Anyone knows if the desktop icon placements problems have been resolved for the 3.3 release?

That should be by far the most annoying bug.

By Axel at Sun, 2004/07/04 - 5:00am

I don't think so, which bugreport are we talking about?

By Waldo Bastian at Mon, 2004/07/05 - 5:00am

Seems to me the 2 problames are still there.
1. Moving an icon a little is impossible.
2. Icons does not place itself exactly where you choose.

Just take a look at ms windows, that's what icon moving/placement should be like.

By Axel at Mon, 2004/07/05 - 5:00am

Yes. I've noticed the same problem than Axel. It seems that KDE adds a X and Y offset to the icon position when I am dragging the icon. When I place the icon after dragging it subtracts back the added offset placing the icon in a little top left offset position. It's very difficult to place the icons in the correct position in the desktop. This bug was introduced in KDE 3.2 version, it was not present in previous versions.

By Mauricio Kaster at Tue, 2004/07/27 - 5:00am

Well, good to know the most annoying bug is one involving icon placement.

By Ian Monroe at Mon, 2004/07/05 - 5:00am

The article makes my point about Krita (what it says about The GIMP is also true of Krita), while it will be an excellent program, it is simply more than the average Office suite user needs to add graphics to a DTP project or to a presentation.

Therefore, I suggest that there should also be a KOffice version of KolorPaint, and that this should be the paint application included in the basic Office suite.

There is nothing wrong with Krita and there is nothing wrong with making additional KOffice based applications (in fact, this is probably a good idea), but we need a basic suite to compete with other Office suites.

JRT