MAY
2005

KDE 3.4.1 Released

KDE 3.4.1 has been released. This is the first translation and bugfix release to the 3.4 series, it includes all security updates to date, numerous minor fixes and improved translations including a new Greek translation pack. See the 3.4.1 Release Announcement for full details and the Changelog for a full list of updates. If you want to test out KDE 3.4.1 we have a new version of the Klax Live CD. Packages are currently available for Conectiva Linux and Kubuntu, see the 3.4.1 Info Page for how to download. Packages for SuSE are currently being uploaded and will be available soon. If you want to compile the sources yourself try using Konstruct which has been updated for this new release.

Comments

Great work, guys!

By Metamatics at Tue, 2005/05/31 - 5:00am

When can Debian Unstable users update to 3.4.1?
Does any third part create packages?

By EHa at Tue, 2005/05/31 - 5:00am

By Baard at Tue, 2005/05/31 - 5:00am

By Pat at Tue, 2005/05/31 - 5:00am

> deb http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.4.0 ./

If you don't want to use that, you'll have to wait until after the release of sarge. That's currently scheduled for June, 6th, i.e. real soon now (let's hope there are no further delays).

By tfry at Tue, 2005/05/31 - 5:00am

Apparently, 3.4.1 packages have arrived:

deb http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.4.1/ ./

By ac at Wed, 2005/06/01 - 5:00am

Great! :)

Thanks for the hint.

By cm at Wed, 2005/06/01 - 5:00am

Thanks! The only problem is that I can't find the Kmail and Knode packages. Aren't they ready yet?

By Mario at Thu, 2005/06/02 - 5:00am

They will be added once finished. Why not use kdepim-3.4.0 packages until then?

By Anonymous at Thu, 2005/06/02 - 5:00am

I'll do so. Thank you for that suggestion!

By Mario at Thu, 2005/06/02 - 5:00am

congrats from me, too. altough i now run KDE SVN (and i'm amazed by its stability and the new, cool features)

By superstoned at Tue, 2005/05/31 - 5:00am

Surely you don't mean you're running with Qt4?

By ac at Tue, 2005/05/31 - 5:00am

As far as I know, trunk svn on most projects will turn into KDE 3.5, not KDE 4.

If there's any Qt 4/KDE 4 work being done, it's in a separate branch, since it will break stuff for a while.

By Dolio at Tue, 2005/05/31 - 5:00am

Thank you, I really appreciate the bug fixes!

Here's the Slackware 10.1 packages (well KLAX packages works perfectly with Slackware 10.1)

Thanks to Binner (or who-so-ever are the KLAX developer) for your cool KLAX iso images :)

By Asif Ali Rizwaan at Tue, 2005/05/31 - 5:00am

The Klax packages are missing the Xsession file, this file is responsible for the 'Startkde' process.

Copy /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession to /opt/kde/share/config/kdm/

so that you can login to KDE using KDM!

By Asif Ali Rizwaan at Wed, 2005/06/01 - 5:00am

It shows that Klax doesn't use KDM. Please report to package creator.

By Anonymous at Wed, 2005/06/01 - 5:00am

Hello
I can't log in Suse 8.1 with KDE. No any messeges and No color change and I can't log with commad prompt also Please help me to solve this problem
thanks
Samantha

By Samantha at Mon, 2005/09/19 - 5:00am

i encounter same problem...i'm using suse linux enterprise server 8..
when login using kde session type..it comes back to login menu..
but we can login using 'root'....

any advise ?

thanks,
hendy

By hendy at Mon, 2006/08/28 - 5:00am

By MightyPenguin at Thu, 2005/06/02 - 5:00am

Hi, I just switched to kde from gnome. The 3.4.0 release is great. There are a few kmail annoyances that I have fixed(really poor defaults) and a few more that I hope can be.

I really dislike the mailscanner attempted fraud stuff. I can tell the difference myself much better than the computer.

How can I get my sent mail to go into the sent folder on my IMAP server?

By Michal at Tue, 2005/05/31 - 5:00am

No automated way that I know of -- I just created a filter that is applied to sent messages, and that filter moves them into my chosen sent folder. But I agree that there SHOULD be a way to configure this on a per-account basis, same as it works for the trash folder.

By Yoop at Tue, 2005/05/31 - 5:00am

> How can I get my sent mail to go into the sent folder on my IMAP server?

The "sent-mail" and "draft" folder can be set in the identidy settings (in the "Advanced" tab of the identidy dialog).

By birdy at Tue, 2005/05/31 - 5:00am

thanks

By Michal at Tue, 2005/05/31 - 5:00am

one more thing. Filters don't seam to be working automatically(I have to select a message and tell it to run a filter). How do I turn them on? This is on an imap server.

By Michal at Wed, 2005/06/01 - 5:00am

The support for filters using an IMAP account is missing at the moment, but AFAIK the KMail developers are working on it.

IIRC the filters work with disconnected IMAP accounts.

By ac at Wed, 2005/06/01 - 5:00am

When all else fails,
try ctrl-a, ctrl-j.
Select all, run filters over selected.

By a.c. at Wed, 2005/06/01 - 5:00am

Unfortunately, doing that on my inbox (>2000 messages) is liable to cause KMail to crash.

By kundor at Fri, 2005/06/03 - 5:00am

Updating my Kubuntu install right now :)

Thanks guys!

By Joergen Ramskov at Tue, 2005/05/31 - 5:00am

Trying to here, but I keep getting:

Couldn't stat source package list http://download.kde.org hoary-updates/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/download.kde.org_stable_3.4.1_kubuntu_dists_hoary-updates_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

Switched to Kubuntu several weeks ago from SUSE. Nice distro. It has some quirks, but it has a nice KDE install.

By Evan "JabberWok... at Tue, 2005/05/31 - 5:00am

Yeah, I know... the kde guys borked it :) Someone should warn them... I used this mirror:

deb ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.4.1/kubuntu hoary-updates main

But be warned... it's sloooooow :)
dan

By THIBOLOT at Tue, 2005/05/31 - 5:00am

I found that this one is faster.

deb ftp://ftp.du.se/pub/mirrors/kde/stable/3.4.1/kubuntu hoary-updates main

You can go to http://download.kde.org/download.php?url=stable/3.4.1/ and try other mirrors.

To make an apt line for them, replace the above link upto 'kubuntu' with the mirror link, for example to use

ftp://ftp.tiscali.nl/pub/mirrors/kde/stable/3.4.1/

as mirror, you'd use

deb ftp://ftp.tiscali.nl/pub/mirrors/kde/stable/3.4.1/kubuntu hoary-updates main

as the apt repository.

Dan

By THIBOLOT at Tue, 2005/05/31 - 5:00am

Thanks to both of you - I'm installing right now. I just figured that the "official" one was overloaded or not yet uploaded.

By Evan "JabberWok... at Wed, 2005/06/01 - 5:00am

Btw, I got a conflict between kdebase and kdm package, and had to

dpkg -i force-all kdebase-version.deb

to get it installed (kdebase only, because I use gdm).

Don't forget to

sudo apt-get -f install

afterwards to fix it up (and finish) (at least for me I had to)

By THIBOLOT at Wed, 2005/06/01 - 5:00am

> But be warned... it's sloooooow :)

No wonder because ftp.kde.org is not a mirror but the main site.

By Anonymous at Wed, 2005/06/01 - 5:00am

> the kde guys borked it

"the kde guys" don't create binary packages: http://www.kde.org/download/packagepolicy.php

By Anonymous at Wed, 2005/06/01 - 5:00am

ups, you're right, sorry "kde guys"

By ed at Wed, 2005/06/01 - 5:00am

Is there any change that KDE programs would be cleaned up before KDE 4? E.g. there are lots of irrelevant menus and menu entries in the default Konqueror view. The simple browser view is much better. It should definitely be the default. The KControlCenter is worst of all. It's very illogical and there are tons of stupid entries, like "Sony Vaio Laptop", which is visible even if there's no single laptop in the whole house. And KDE Components doesn't say anything to me or any average user.

By Jouni Hätinen at Tue, 2005/05/31 - 5:00am

Nobody knows today how KDE 4 will look like.

By Anonymous at Tue, 2005/05/31 - 5:00am

Yes, that's why I wanted to know if these problems will be fixed before it.

By Jouni Hätinen at Tue, 2005/05/31 - 5:00am

It's at least planned to clean up many of these things.

By Anonymous at Tue, 2005/05/31 - 5:00am

Yes, we plan to fix everything we can get our hands on, not just for KDE 4, but for every release.

Some of the changes may be too intrusive, such as the KControl cleanup. Those will wait for KDE4, but rest assured they will happen.

And now the mandatory call for help: if you or anyone thinks something could use improvement, help us do it! You don't have to write the code yourself, but giving us constructive criticism is already a start. Name what the main annoyances are, what you think the defaults should be and why, make mockups, etc. We will take everything into consideration --- which does not mean we will make it the way one particular contributor wanted.

By Thiago Macieira at Tue, 2005/05/31 - 5:00am

Heya, see this edited picture of the great KDE Improvements modification:

The root of the problem is, that the details in the detailed tree view are very difficult to use since they're not highlighted in any way. I think a good way to make them more usable would be to bold them. What do you think?

By Jouni Hätinen at Tue, 2005/05/31 - 5:00am

>Heya, see this edited picture of the great KDE Improvements modification:
>http://koti.mbnet.fi/jounihat/16962-2.png

That's not an improvement. That's ugly.

By Carlo at Wed, 2005/06/01 - 5:00am

Yes, it is ugly. It's just a quick hack to a random screenshot. I just meant to show the idea. The details have to be highlighted some way or another to make them more usable. Highlighting the whole line would be a good idea, but people seem to be very fond of the current "highlight only the text area" -concept.

By Jouni Hätinen at Wed, 2005/06/01 - 5:00am

That's better, but I think it would be best to highlight the entire line.

By mmebane at Wed, 2005/06/01 - 5:00am

I agree it's an improvement. Having to read vertically a menu, as it works right now, is dumb. But I think a bigger overhaul needs to be done to the sidebar in konqueror. For example, why is "Storage Media" under "services"(star icon)? I guess it's one of KDE's services, but a user shouldn't have to know that. Yes, I know it's easier to bark than to help. I'm hoping to give some thought on improving the sidebar so as to give users a real powerfull yet easy look into their computers.

By ed at Wed, 2005/06/01 - 5:00am

The best I can do in coding is Visual Basic. However, I know what I want in KDE, and have constructively criticised before. What contribution can I make? One thing I'd like to have solved in Konqueror is the "menu-bar hell." You see, after customizing it the way you like, you might find it completely disorganized next time. The other thing is a request to have these menu bars fully dockable - many times, they fail.

By charles at Tue, 2005/05/31 - 5:00am

Q/A, bug triaging, documentation writing, help with promotion. yes, these things may not directly fix the things you are hoping to get fixed, but they help make the project more vibrant which in turn generates more energy and attracts more people to contribute ..... which increases the odds of your pet issues getting fixed by someone sooner =)

By Aaron J. Seigo at Thu, 2005/06/02 - 5:00am

And might I remind you that what is irrelevant to you is or may be relevant to me.

By Not You at Tue, 2005/05/31 - 5:00am

Having "Back" "Forward" "Home" "Refresh" etc. buttons in dozens of different places is irrelevant to anybody. A simple, usable default is better than button duplicates everywhere "just in case". You could erase many buttons from Konqueror without removing any of its features. And you can change the defaults, if you really want to.

By Jouni Hätinen at Tue, 2005/05/31 - 5:00am