JUL
2005

KDE 3.4.2 Released

KDE 3.4.2 has been released. This is the second translation and bugfix release to the 3.4 series, it includes all security updates to date, numerous minor fixes and improved translations including a new Afrikaans translation pack. See the 3.4.2 Release Announcement for full details and the changelog for a full list of updates. If you want to test KDE 3.4.2 there is a new version of the Klax Live CD. Packages are currently available for Conectiva, Kubuntu, Mandriva and Slackware, see the 3.4.2 Info Page for links. If you want to compile the sources yourself try using Konstruct which has been updated for this new release.

Comments

Failed to fetch http://download.kde.org/stable/3.4.2/kubuntu/dists/hoary-updates/main/bi... 302 Found
Reading package lists... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://download.kde.org hoary-updates/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/download.kde.org_stable_3.4.2_kubuntu_dists_hoary-updates_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

By Joseph Reagle at Thu, 2005/07/28 - 5:00am

By John Christopher at Thu, 2005/07/28 - 5:00am

When I add "deb http://kubuntu.org/hoary-kde342 hoary-updates main" to /etc/apt/sources.list and perform a apt-get update and apt-get upgrade I get a lot of "the following packages have been kept back"...

By leon at Fri, 2005/07/29 - 5:00am

Does this include the Acid2 fixes in KHTML? Judging by the kdelibs changes I would say not, but was just wondering.

BTW, thanks a ton to all KDE developers for such a wonderful environment!

By Pilaf at Thu, 2005/07/28 - 5:00am

Yes. I use the KDE desktop not only for fun, but for work too. Great work guys.

Ian

By Ian Ventura-Whiting at Thu, 2005/07/28 - 5:00am

I use KDE on my only computer, for work and for play. It is a wonderful piece of work- thank you for a job well done!

By SuSE_User at Fri, 2005/07/29 - 5:00am

I just updated & tested and Acid2 still fails.

By John Doe at Fri, 2005/07/29 - 5:00am

Probably too big a patch set to introduce it in a maintenance release.

By Eike Hein at Fri, 2005/07/29 - 5:00am

Indeed, Acid2 is KDE 3.5 stuff.

By Bram Schoenmakers at Fri, 2005/07/29 - 5:00am

yeah, it works here :D

reall cool...

By superstoned at Sat, 2005/07/30 - 5:00am

Where are SuSe rpm pkgs?!
Man... they're so late!

By Estevam at Thu, 2005/07/28 - 5:00am

You forget that there are different timezones. Expect pakets to move in tomorrow (july 29th) at about noon utc.

By Andy at Thu, 2005/07/28 - 5:00am

They are spreading to FTP servers already, ftp.kde.org will have them in 1,5h.

By Anonymous at Thu, 2005/07/28 - 5:00am

They were out yesterday afternoon (3pm CDT).

By SuSE_User at Fri, 2005/07/29 - 5:00am

I'd like to ask what does mean moving of 3.x to branch for users following
SVN (but not developers). KDE had outstanding stability in unstable HEAD/trunk.

When trunk will require Qt4?
Is KDE4 ready for every day use?
Is it safer to switch to 3.5 branch?

Thanks in advance.

m.

By m. at Thu, 2005/07/28 - 5:00am

> When trunk will require Qt4?

Yesterday.

> Is KDE4 ready for every day use?

> Is it safer to switch to 3.5 branch?

By Anonymous at Thu, 2005/07/28 - 5:00am

Finnish translation of 3.4.1 was messed up. Some strange problems with ä and ö letters. Hopefully this release will fix those :)

Can't wait for this to arrive Debian Sid.

By Petteri at Thu, 2005/07/28 - 5:00am

Did you report those issues?

By Bram Schoenmakers at Fri, 2005/07/29 - 5:00am

As Kim said here, it should be fixed.

By tpr at Fri, 2005/07/29 - 5:00am

I'm using KDE 3.5svn. It feels better than KDE 3.4.1. especially the 'plastik window decoration is awesome.'

thanks guys!

By Asif Ali Rizwaan at Thu, 2005/07/28 - 5:00am

Am I right in thinking that the fixes for google maps made it into konqueror for 3.4.2? It appears to work but has a few small issues (nothing too bad though). Either way this is great!

By Fizz at Thu, 2005/07/28 - 5:00am

I would say this was intended for KDE 3.5. But maybe some related fixes have been backported to the 3.4 branch.

By Bram Schoenmakers at Fri, 2005/07/29 - 5:00am

I hope this new release includes the fix for the bug in KNotify that happens when the volume is less than 100% (not mixer volume, but the notifications volume). I know the bug was closed and a patch was added to SVN, but I'm not sure if it made it in in time. If it is fixed that means as soon as the ebuilds are added to portage I can watch movies (full screen) AND talk on IM at the same time :-D (gotta love the composite extension! It has gotten very stable it seems).

I can't wait for KDE 3.5 or KDE 4! Thanks for all the hard work!

By Corbin at Thu, 2005/07/28 - 5:00am

Here's how I get KDE 3.5svn branch:

1. Get kdesvn-build from http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=23840
2. tar -jxvf kdesvn*.bz2
3. cd kdesvn-build*
4. cp kdesvn-buildrc-sample kdesvn-buildrc
5. ./kdesvn-build

wait a day or two ;) and you've kde 3.5.

Manual compilation of KDE 3.5svn (if you don't have qt and kde installed or intend to remove them first)
--------------------------------

(for qt)
1. ./kdesvn-build --svn-only
2. cd $HOME/kdesvn/qt-copy
3. export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/kdesvn/qt-copy/lib
4. export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/kdesvn/kdenonbeta/unsermake
5. ./configure --prefix=/usr/lib/qt -thread
6. unsermake && unsermake install

(for kde)

for i in kdesupport arts kdelibs kdebase kdemultimedia kdeaddons kdeadmin kdeartwork kdebindings kdeedu kdegames kdegraphics kdenetwork kdenonbeta kdepim kdesdk kdetoys kdeutils kdewebdev koffice; do cd $i; ./configure --prefix=/opt/kde && make && make install; cd ..; done

cd extragear

for i in libs graphics multimedia; do cd $i; ./configure --prefix=/opt/kde && make && make install; cd ..; done

good luck!

By Asif Ali Rizwaan at Fri, 2005/07/29 - 5:00am

use make or qmake for (qt)

and unsermake for (kde packages)

By Asif Ali Rizwaan at Fri, 2005/07/29 - 5:00am

-thread seems to not be available anymore.

By Joe at Fri, 2005/07/29 - 5:00am

I want to create slackware packages from kdesvn. but checkinstall doesn't get files into the package when unsermake is used?

is there any way to create package using unsermake+checkinstall?

By Asif Ali Rizwaan at Fri, 2005/07/29 - 5:00am

checkinstall *commandYouUseToInstall*
will always work just fine. It defaults to "checkinstall make install" but you can use any method of installation by inputting checkinstall followed by the install command

By jason at Fri, 2005/07/29 - 5:00am

The update (with yum) of KDE 3.4.2 work very well yesterday. I didn't find any problem yet.

By Yan Morin at Fri, 2005/07/29 - 5:00am

Since 3.4.0 (but also often in 3.4.2) kicker crashes on me on logout. Most times logout is slow, and a new kicker reappears before the session finally quits. There are many different bugreports about this, so yes, I will dig my way through them :-)

But today kicker managed to crash on me when I used KMail's systray button to quit Kontact. Is it just me or are there more people fighting with Kicker since 3.4.0?

But besides this minor issue, KDE is very useful to me. I use many cool features such as fish:// all the time. Cool to copy files between two different web hosts via fish :-)

By Wilbert at Fri, 2005/07/29 - 5:00am

Since KDE 3.4.0 Kicker crashs on logout when running Skim as an IME. Do you use any input method editor?

By Burna at Tue, 2005/08/02 - 5:00am

I have the same problem; with Fedora C3 as well as with SuSE Linux. It seems to depend on programs running within the system tray?

I would be glad if anyone has a productive idea!

Mrk

By Markus at Tue, 2005/08/16 - 5:00am

I have installed SuSE9.3 and updated KDE to the Version 3.4.2.

As many of the above users, kicker crashes on session logoff.
The backtrace I can mailing it tonight.

My current system is:
SuSE9.3, kernel-2.6.11-..default, xorg-x11-6.8.2, qt-3.3.4, KDE3.4.2

I have 4 users in one PC the problem appear in one of them and related with actions doing in the k_menu (new links to appl.) or with changes in kbfx appl. for instance. By other users where the k-menu or kicker changes are seldom, seems not to have this kicker behavior.

I'm agree this is a shame considering kicker one of the top appl. under KDE windows manager. I will be happy to know how to fix this issue.

By Juan Ehrenhaus at Tue, 2005/08/23 - 5:00am

Kicker has always been spotty with me, too, but with the update to Suse9.3 Pro, with KDE 3.4.0, it now will fail without warning NOR error report. That is, it simply goes away. One second there are two panels (Main at bottom, child at right), then both are gone. I use StarDict, which sits in the Main panel system tray, and when kicker dies, StarDict's tray icon appears in a small window on the desktop. Last time kicker died, I had to restart my X session to get it back. I can find no log file that contains any information about this crashing and it apparently bypasses the normal KDE crash handling routines. Weird.

By Guy Stalnaker at Mon, 2005/08/29 - 5:00am

That was fast, I didn't even have time to upgrade to 3.4.1.
Thanks to everyone involved in making KDE, your work is much appreciated.

By 138 at Wed, 2005/08/10 - 5:00am