OCT
2005

People Behind KDE: Jes Hall

Calling herself a KDE hacker chick, she is known as the woman behind This Month in SVN and as the maintainer of the KDE FAQ. She prefers Linus Torvalds over Richard Stallman because he is cuter and is a "dreamer who sees beauty in the symmetry of mutually recursive functions". Today's People Behind KDE interview is with Jes Hall.

Comments

"What do you think is still badly missing in KDE?
I'd love to see some journal/diary software."

I'm missing that too. I have plans to start my own project regarding diaries, blogs, notes, whatever. As soon as I have more time.

By Bram Schoenmakers at Mon, 2005/10/24 - 5:00am

"I'd love to see some journal/diary software."

>I'm missing that too.

I'm not sure what features and such you need/want in such an application, but have you tried the Journal pluggin in Kontact?

By Morty at Mon, 2005/10/24 - 5:00am

the one biggest missing part in the journal plugin is the option to protect/encrypt entries. a journal is very personal. that's the biggest reason i don't use the journal plugin...

By Ashvini at Sun, 2005/10/30 - 5:00am

Why start an own project?

I just hope that journal feature in Kontact will be improved...

Why not contribute to this? :-\

By fish at Mon, 2005/10/24 - 5:00am

Why start my own project?

1. The plans I have are overkill for KOrganizer.

2. I took maintainership of KDiary a couple of months ago, a diary application as Kontact plugin. To be found on kde-apps.org. But for the plans I have in mind, I cannot go on with KDiary. It would need a complete rewrite because the sourcecode is quite a mess.

3. I like to start from scratch for once. I learn a lot from that.

4. I can do what I want with it. No need to conform to other's existing API/policy.

By Bram Schoenmakers at Mon, 2005/10/24 - 5:00am

By Mario Fux at Mon, 2005/10/24 - 5:00am

Hello,

well, I'm no dev, but I use KDE daily and love it. Jes, I just wanted to say thank you for your "This Month in SVN" - I am reading it regularly and really enjoy it. It's so much appreciated! So, thanks! Superb work! ;)

btw, "She prefers Linus Torvalds over Richard Stallman because he is cuter and is a "dreamer who sees beauty in the symmetry of mutually recursive functions" is misleading, no? one could mean she says this about Linus but the question actually is "How would you describe yourself?" - okay okay, maybe it's just my English...haha

Greetings from Switzerland and thank you tons!

A happy KDE user! ;)

By fish at Mon, 2005/10/24 - 5:00am

Yes, you're right, I should have seen it before I submitted... Thanks for your Aufmerksamkeit :)

By Tijmen at Mon, 2005/10/24 - 5:00am

sry, double posts...silly me! maybe someone may delete this? @_@

By fish at Mon, 2005/10/24 - 5:00am

I think
it is causing unnecessary friction within the community to put a delicate matter on edge like that.
Personally I think that making a choice between them is like choosing between apples and rollerskates, as they deal in two highly highly fields of endeavor.
If you absolutely *have* to create personal fronts like that, I would consider "Matthias Ettrich vs Linus Torvalds" or "Richard Stallman vs Eric S. Raymond" would be more appropriate (or less inappropriate actually). And for those of you who don't know this, the former two are software-project maintainers/leaders, and the later two are advocates of a certain line of politics....
Think of it.. would the question "Matthias over Eric" have made any sense?

~Macavity
"Open Source is *all* about upstream!" --Mark Shuttleworth

By Macavity at Tue, 2005/10/25 - 5:00am

s/highly highly/highly different/

*sigh* :-)

By Macavity at Tue, 2005/10/25 - 5:00am

Maybe this is the point of the question ?
Perhaps it is meant as "Do you prefer this theoretical and idealistic side of open source or the more pragmatic one ?"

That's how I would understand it ....

possebaer