APR
2007

KDE Commit-Digest for 1st April 2007

In this week's KDE Commit-Digest: The beginnings of a KControl module for Decibel configuration make an appearance. Developments in the Subversion plugin for KDevelop. More optimisations in the KJS JavaScript interpreter. Further progress in the KBattleship rewrite. New country maps in KGeography. KRfb, a desktop sharing utility, starts to be ported to KDE 4. A new GStreamer backend for Phonon, and QSR, a search-and-replace utility, are imported into KDE SVN.

Comments

Hey Danny,
Thanks for this 52th edition of the commit-digest! Good to see the commitment of writing a new edition each week!

Thanks and congrats!

By Niels van Mourik at Mon, 2007/04/02 - 5:00am

I copy that, great commitment, great editions.
It has become rutine for me to read the commit-digest with the first cop of coffee on monday mornings.
Thanks Danny!

By Snis at Mon, 2007/04/02 - 5:00am

So do I !!!!

By Marc at Mon, 2007/04/02 - 5:00am

Another on here ;-)

By superstoned at Mon, 2007/04/02 - 5:00am

By Joergen Ramskov at Mon, 2007/04/02 - 5:00am

+++++

I'd like to echo the thanks given as well. Commit Digest always makes for an interesting read :-)

By David at Mon, 2007/04/02 - 5:00am

bhappy birthday commit digest.
And thanks danny for the weekly fix :)

By David at Mon, 2007/04/02 - 5:00am

Yippie, search&replace.

BTW, does anyone know if in KDE it's possible to
do a site-wide Search&Replace (over FTP), including
regular expressions?

Dreamweaver can do it (I don't know if it handles RegEx though)
and some software for Window too. But somehow I never found this
option in a Linux/KDE program?

By Darkelve at Mon, 2007/04/02 - 5:00am

There is KFileReplace, in the network development package. It is not yet the ideal app IMHO, since it does not show you the context of your replacements. The interface is also a tad unintuitive, but unless they specifically crippled it there should be network transparency (i.e. FTP support).

By Martin at Mon, 2007/04/02 - 5:00am

Okay thanks.

You would think that, Linux would be THE system to have a killer app for that. Or am I missing something here?

By Darkelve at Mon, 2007/04/02 - 5:00am

I agree. Hardcore hacker would tell you to s/something/sed, awk etc./ but that's not always what you want. You would expect this in Kate for instance; it has search across multiple files, and it is an editor, so why not search/replace? I'm sure you went looking there for this functionality at some point, as have I.

What is this new QSR, anyway?

By Martin at Tue, 2007/04/03 - 5:00am

If you mount your FTP into your filesystem you could use the command line rename utility, on debian etch that renames according to a perl regexp

Although it doesn't have a recursive switch for some reason.

By ben at Wed, 2007/04/04 - 5:00am

i got trouble with xrandr after updating xorg (suse 10.2). qt-copy compiles fine, but does not find xrandr and therefore kdebase fails. there seems to be a missing typedef for "Connection" but i cannot find it anywhere. is this suse only again or is something wrong after three days of breaking things?

By Andreas Jensen at Mon, 2007/04/02 - 5:00am

you should ask that at http://kde-forum.org

By whatever noticed at Wed, 2007/04/04 - 5:00am

Could GHNS & sonnet be combined so that you could download new dictionaries, or synchronize the words you added back to the dictionary-server? Then, if multiple people upload the same new words, they could automatically be added to the standard-dictionary for that language?

By ben at Mon, 2007/04/02 - 5:00am

sounds potentially good to me.

But what I dislike most is that currently (at least in KDE 3.4.2, don't know if has been fixed already) you can't even add a new word to the dictionary from right click menu in the app. you're using, which is a bad thing.

By Gabriel Gazzán at Mon, 2007/04/02 - 5:00am

While downloading is a good idea, I don't think that uploading new additions is feasible. It will make for very poor quality of those dictionaries, and cause lots of reviewing, forward- and backwardporting work, and probably lots of different dictionary forks.

I'd welcome some way to upload my personal dictionary additions to some central place so they're available on different machines, though. But that's probably nothing to do with GHNS at all.

By Sebastian Kügler at Mon, 2007/04/02 - 5:00am

Well, thats why I think a word should only be comitted after multiple people uploaded it. You could even combine this with further logic. For example, google needs to find more than 10.000 hits for the word before it can be added.

That would make THE most up-to-date wordlist. I don't know why there would be much porting at all, but I can imagine that GHNS is not the right framework. Maybe rather a database server with an xml interface that sonnet would connect to? Is there a free online wordlist with such features already available?

By ben at Tue, 2007/04/03 - 5:00am

Hi,

I went looking for a dictionary format, and I think I encountered an XML format that was called... I think, XDF? Unfortunately, there were no front-end applications for it to use in Linux, except a Java-based application of which I forgot the name...

I was looking for a multi-language translation dictionary though, not a standard dictionary. Can't say I found one though.

By Darkelve at Tue, 2007/04/03 - 5:00am

A submission is a submission, that can be included or not.

By pod at Tue, 2007/04/03 - 5:00am

They aren't exactly great quality at the moment. aspell doesn't think 'practice' is a word, and it thinks coincide can be spelt coinside.

By Tim at Thu, 2007/04/05 - 5:00am

My aspell does know it, at least when I set aspell to use en_US. Using en_GB, it suggests practise.

The problem I tried to outline earlier though is the following:

- You want one place where such a dictionary is maintained, that's a real problem to be solved
- Twenty people submitting a wrong word doesn't make it correct

You face the same 'challenges' with translations, submissions need to be reviewed and merged, this will not go away if you allow adding words to a dictionary. (Done right, it *could* make it easier, I would agree with that.)

By Sebastian Kügler at Fri, 2007/04/06 - 5:00am

is KsirK compatible with teg?

By Todd at Wed, 2007/04/04 - 5:00am

First of all I would like to tell you that I tested Dolphin and I am absolutely amazed by that tool, it makes operating your system very convenient. I am looking forward to KDE4.

A personally prefer to keep the menu bar of focused programs at the top of the screen. This setting works pretty well with all KDE applications but unfortunately it does not work with GTK applications. Is there any way to change this, e.g. via Freedesktop standardisation?

These days you don't really feel much a difference between KDE or GTK applications despite that GTK applications usually install half of the Gnome desktop but the lack of support for the upper top menu bar, that is really annoying.

By pod at Wed, 2007/04/04 - 5:00am

>> This setting works pretty well with all KDE applications but unfortunately it does not work with GTK applications. Is there any way to change this, e.g. via Freedesktop standardisation?

That, and the application name instead of "File" or whatever it is (File -> Exit ...huh?) would probably make me use OS X-like menu bar.

By Lans at Thu, 2007/04/05 - 5:00am

I wish the KDE and GNOME Game guys would work closer together with each other and with the GNU Gaming Zone. There are a lot of games that are available for each DE that support GGZ, it would be really cool to enable a friendly gaming rivalry between the DEs.

If KsirK supported the T.E.G. server at the GGZ that would add a pretty good game to the current list that is unfortunately a bit boring.

By Imos Anon at Thu, 2007/04/05 - 5:00am