SEP
2007

People Behind KDE: Summer of Code 2007 (3/4)

People Behind KDE releases the third interview in its series of four interviews with students who are working on KDE as part of the Google Summer of Code 2007 - meet Leo Franchi, Juan González Aguilera, Andrew Manson and Marcus Hanwell!

Comments

Does anybody have news on how on "the better support for Ruby and Rails in kdevelop soc" is going? I've never seen any news posted about it on the dot or in the blogs.

By patcito at Sun, 2007/09/02 - 5:00am

oops, just realized there on http://code.google.com/soc/2007/kde/about.html.

By patcito at Sun, 2007/09/02 - 5:00am

By patcito at Sun, 2007/09/02 - 5:00am

Bad news.

I don't exactly know how much was achieved, but rumour has it that the student stopped working on it sometime in July. Don't expect all too great outcomes from this project in the short term.

By Jakob Petsovits at Sun, 2007/09/02 - 5:00am

Unfortunately there's close to 0 outcome for this SoC project,the student lost interest shortly after the official start of the project.

By Andreas Pakulat at Sun, 2007/09/02 - 5:00am

Yes, this is a real shame. Maybe I'm biased but I see turning KDE4 into a killer python and ruby development environment as really important. But we are devoting only something like 2-5% of KDE developer resources to do that, when in my opinion it should be much more. So the loss of 3 months dedicated developer effort to ruby support for KDevelop has a serious effect on broadening the KDE developer base with more user friendly languages than c++.

By Richard Dale at Sun, 2007/09/02 - 5:00am

I've recently been using qt4ruby a bit for small projects, and it's been really good. Kate also has nice support for ruby's syntax highlighting.

I'm waiting until I start using KDE4 to check out how korundum is doing.

Of course, I learned ruby primarily to jump back into programming. Instant gratification is nice, and it's suitable for small starter projects. I'm planning on switching to c++ when/if I get more serious, and as projects get bigger.

By Soap at Sun, 2007/09/02 - 5:00am

I just agree there. Beside the integration itself, better documentation at http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials#Rapid_Application_Development would be damn useful too. If just each python- and/or ruby-lover would write a few lines...

By Sebastian Sauer at Sun, 2007/09/02 - 5:00am

but shouldn't the 4.0 delay have some kind of "official" announcement?
(or maybe there was and i just missed it?)

By attendant at Sun, 2007/09/02 - 5:00am

That'll come, I'm sure.

By Jos Poortvliet at Sun, 2007/09/02 - 5:00am

i guess the announcement is delayed as well :o)

By whatever noticed at Sun, 2007/09/02 - 5:00am

No, it's right here:

By reihal at Sun, 2007/09/02 - 5:00am

That's not official IMHO, it is just a personal blog. If you go to kde.org, there is a section called "Latest Announcements" and one called "Latest News". I take those to be the official and semi-official news outlets respectively. The latter is just a feed from the Dot.

By Martin at Sun, 2007/09/02 - 5:00am