MAR
2008

KDE 4.0.2 Brings New Plasma Features

The KDE community has released another update to its cutting edge KDE 4.0 desktop. KDE 4.0.2 has, along with the bugfixes some new features in Plasma. The panel can now be configured to sit somewhere else than at the bottom and UI options for changing its size have been added. Do not let yourself be distracted by those new things, there are also plenty of bugfixes, performance improvements and translation updates in there, among which support for two new languages: Persian and Icelandic. KDE 4.0.2 is thus available in 49 whopping languages, and more are soon to come. More highlights include rendering improvements in KHTML and lots of bugfixes in Okular and Kopete. The KDE community hopes you enjoy this release which should be hitting your favourite packaging system soon. See the changelog for more updates and info page for download options.

Comments

I really hate the retarded time consuming way of logging out of KDE

Go to the menu, select to shut down the computer, then more time wasted as the screen changes shade, and a box pop's up asking if you want to restart, log out, shut down. For frigs sake, If I wanted to reboot I would of friggin picked that in the start menu, if I wanted to log out I would of bloody picked that. To pick something from the bloody menu and to not have it do it straight away, but to get a bloody time consuming, time wasting screen come up making me select what option I want is bloody retarded.

By anon at Thu, 2008/03/06 - 6:00am

I agree... i would either

-remove the box popping up asking again
-or have just the "leave" in kickoff with no other choices, and then the popup asking what it is that you want to do.

By MichaelG at Thu, 2008/03/06 - 6:00am

Valid points.

This is the ideal set of logout/shutdown etc modes, IMO:

* Launcher (kickoff)->
** Leave->
*** (Menu entries:)
*** Logout
*** Switch user
*** Restart
*** Shutdown
*** Suspend
*** Hibernate
**** (action is carried out immediately, as long as user has permission to do so, possibly show a cancellable splash while the session is saved on restart/shutdown/suspend/hibernate though, misclicks here are annoying, at least until we all have EFI bios and as quick boots as openSUSE)

* Desktop context menu->
** Leave->
**** Leave dialog, dim desktop, choices as kickoff

* Ctrl-alt-del or ACPI power button->
** Leave dialog, dim desktop, choices as kickoff

* Lock/logout applet->
** Lock
** Logout (immediate)

By Will Stephenson at Fri, 2008/03/07 - 6:00am

Agreed. Put the option in one place or the other, but not in both. Extremely time consuming

By Riddle at Thu, 2008/03/06 - 6:00am

Insted of waste energy on iritating yourself on something that obviously will change as soon as somebody has time to fix it, use the bloody logout applet.

You get desktop lock in one clik, logout or reboot in two. No need to use the start menu at all.

By Morty at Thu, 2008/03/06 - 6:00am

Kubuntu mapped my laptop's power button to the logout menu, so I can just hit the power button, then choose between logout, suspend, hibernate, restart, or shutdown. The menu part is eliminated, and the choices are very useful to me, as I actually decide whether to hibernate or suspend each time. Different use cases, different preferences. (I don't suspend when shutting the laptop lid, in order to use the laptop as a radio.)

By THIBOLOT at Thu, 2008/03/06 - 6:00am

systemsettings->session manager->uncheck "confirm logout"

By THIBOLOT at Fri, 2008/03/07 - 6:00am

For what I know this bug is still present.
Is it *THAT* hard to fix? :-(

By Iuri Fiedoruk at Thu, 2008/03/06 - 6:00am

well,if it is easy to fix, please send in a patch :)

By whatever noticed at Thu, 2008/03/06 - 6:00am

Actually it is already fixed in TRUNK, the bug is even "FIXED".
I should have written: "is that hard to backport this from trunk?" :-P

See:

By Iuri Fiedoruk at Thu, 2008/03/06 - 6:00am

"Actually it is already fixed in TRUNK, the bug is even "FIXED".
I should have written: "is that hard to backport this from trunk?" :-P"

Or even better, offered to backport it.

By Boudewijn Rempt at Thu, 2008/03/06 - 6:00am

OK, I do! Sure, why not? The patch is there already, just a matter of applying and testing.

To who should I talk?

By Iuri Fiedoruk at Fri, 2008/03/07 - 6:00am

Probably attach your patch to http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=155413 or just write a mail to the https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/panel-devel mailinglist.

By Sebastian Sauer at Sat, 2008/03/08 - 6:00am

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=155413#c12 does contain a backported patch now btw ;)

By Sebastian Sauer at Sun, 2008/03/09 - 6:00am

Just having it shut down right away might be annoying though. Let's say you accidentally press Shut Down. Then you have to start up the computer again. Just having a Quit button, and then choosing more in detail if you want to shut down, log out, or just cancel, or whatever might be more fitting.

By deniseweird at Thu, 2008/03/06 - 6:00am

Could someone please put up a screenshot of what the configuration dialog for the panel looks like so far? It would be interesting to compare with the KDE3 one. Pic at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Kde_config_panel_arrangement.jpg

By Parminder Ramesh at Fri, 2008/03/07 - 6:00am

The current dialog is a really bad temporary hack.

By THIBOLOT at Fri, 2008/03/07 - 6:00am

By Parminder Ramesh at Fri, 2008/03/07 - 6:00am

Meh, i can rely on ars technica to deliver: http://arstechnica.com/news.media/plasma-left.png

By Parminder Ramesh at Mon, 2008/03/10 - 5:00am

KDE rulezzzzzz forever!

By Mihail Mezyakov at Fri, 2008/03/07 - 6:00am

Congratulations people, amazing progress, i can´t wait KDE 4.1, cheers.

By debianita at Fri, 2008/03/07 - 6:00am

I've written some bitter words once but this time I have to say that a lot of great work has been done. I am really impressed. There are still some stability issues (esp. when I use System Settings) but I can really see that KDE 4.0 has become a nice and - what's even more important - usable environment. Good job! Thanks for all those who made this cute thing work.

By mkrs at Fri, 2008/03/07 - 6:00am

Yes, I must agree. I just got done putting 4.0.2 on my new Slackware laptop and I must say even the build process (while long) was relatively easy compared to previous kde versions I've tried. Now to remove those clunky kde3 desktop icons...

By Tony at Fri, 2008/03/14 - 5:00am

Still much to be done to achieve visual consistency, as per this screenshot: http://beranger.org/blogo12/kde4_visual_consistency.png
But KDE4 is looking increasingly great!

By ac at Sat, 2008/03/08 - 6:00am

Not true for the window decorations, they are from KDE 3 :)

By Jan at Sat, 2008/03/08 - 6:00am

Since the KDE 4 alpha days I've been reporting visual inconsistency and I'm not sure anyone ever listened. I think Oxygen looks *almost* great, but I'm not sure there is a consistent theme and design to the KDE 4 desktop. I really hope KDE 4.1 pulls everything together.

By T. J. Brumfield at Sat, 2008/03/08 - 6:00am

There are different font settings for different widgets.
so you should first set them all to the same size in order to look for real inconsistencies.

On my system, all fonts in the gui are the same size.

By rinse at Sat, 2008/03/08 - 6:00am

Thanks for pointing that out. You're totally right!!

By Mike at Sun, 2008/03/09 - 6:00am

I decided KDE 4.0.2 was the time to switch my main desktop environment from KDE 3.5 to KDE 4.0.

When you use the Debian packages, the old version is automatically overwritten by the new one (so there's no way to install both KDE version in separate folders). Anyway, I could revert to the old KDE 3.5.9 if I really wanted to but I sure don't want to ;-).

By lord_rob at Mon, 2008/03/10 - 5:00am

Still, 2/3 of features missing (well, maybe 3/5), java doesn't work in Konqueror, etc.

By szlam at Mon, 2008/03/17 - 5:00am