JUL
2008

KDE 4.1 Released, Dedicated to Uwe Thiem

6 months after the release of KDE 4.0, the KDE community today announced the released of the second feature release in the KDE 4 era. Lots of changes have gone into this release and the KDE community hopes to be able to make most early-adopting users happy with this release. Lots of feedback from people trying out KDE 4.0 has gone into KDE 4.1, filling most of the gaps people experienced with the 4.0 releases. Highlights of KDE 4.1 are the KDE PIM suite, which has returned in its KDE 4 incarnation, a more mature Plasma desktop and many, many new features and applications. Make sure to take some time to read through the high-level changelog or even the more detailed feature plan on Techbase. Before you try KDE 4.1, please read the KDE4 End User FAQ and make an educated guess whether KDE 4.1 is for you.

The release is dedicated to KDE's contact in Africa, Uwe Thiem. Uwe passed away after a kidney failure two weeks ago. Africa's new press contact for KDE is AJ Venter, a friend of Uwe's who stepped up on short notice to help with filling the gap Uwe's death leaves in the KDE community.

Meanwhile, KDE's Release Team scheduled a number of bugfix and translation updates. KDE 4.1.1 will be made available on September 3rd, 4.1.2 will be out on October 1st, and 4.1.3 will be there on November 5th. KDE 4.2.0 will in 6 months, the release date is set to January 27th 2009.

Comments

are you sure it's a memory consumption issue?

By Aaron Seigo at Wed, 2008/07/30 - 5:00am

You know, it is a bit hard to find out exactaly what is causing the slowness, but I'm running (when I have time) a series of tests to try improving things, so I can document it for other users on the ubuntu-eee.com page.

First thing I did was to disable neopomuk semantic thing I hate [personal taste here, nothing to complain] :) It helped a lot.
Then using top, noticed that all the 512 MB of RAM where being used, and little of it was desk cache, so KDE4 on ubuntu uses a lot of RAM and this is not a good thing for speed, but moved forward to next test.

As the machine is slow/small, desktop effects where disabled by default, so it's not the culprit. Again, move ahead.

Opened a Dolphin, once open, memory does not matter that much, so it should behavre more or less well. No, it does not! When I simply move the mouse from a folder to other (the nice blue rectangle on the folder changes to the other). WOW, SLOW like hell! I'm talking about 3~4 seconds to change the focus from one folder to another. Maximize/restore window is slow also.

And then it was sleep time :)
Today I plan on using other theme than oxygen to see how things goes.
If any KDE developer want access to my eeePC to test, I'll gladly set up ssh and vnc for it or run more tests, just mail me (protomank at gmail), I'm here to help [we are all getting a bit more mature, aren't we?] ;)

By Iuri Fiedoruk at Thu, 2008/07/31 - 5:00am

I've found that KDE4 uses *massively* more X-server memory than KDE3, primarily due to the double-buffering of widgets performed by default in Qt4. With tabbed applications like e.g. Konsole, you are quite often looking at several MB *per tab* of pixmap usage that wasn't used in KDE3 and, since only one tab can be visible, this amounts to simply wasting 10's of MBs of memory for no improvement whatsoever. It's a pretty serious problem, IMO, and one that very few KDE devs seem to appreciate as far as I can see.

By anon at Thu, 2008/07/31 - 5:00am

You shouldn't generalize so easily. My eeePC 701 runs 4.1 (even trunk) quite fine. Even the desktop effects work, but due to slow scrolling in Konqueror I usually disable them. Overall memory consumption after login is ~130 MiB and rarely greater than 400 MiB (paging is disabled). I should add that it is a Gentoo build with a heavily patched 2.6.25 kernel and an almost pure Qt4/KDE4 system (e.g. there are no Qt3 libs).

By Ego at Thu, 2008/07/31 - 5:00am

In my case I'm using an ubuntu-eee with custom kernel, but that build is not *that* optimized, that's true.

By Iuri Fiedoruk at Thu, 2008/07/31 - 5:00am

"-Digikam with kick ass nepomuk integration"

digiKam does not have Nepomuk integration, it had many years now own search/metadata functions and mayby in future versions we get Nepomuk too. So currently it use own kind and nepomuk does not exist.

By Fri13 at Wed, 2008/07/30 - 5:00am

I've been using KDE4 on and off since 4.0a, and the rate at which it is improving up is nothing short of astounding. I knew had potential back when it barely worked, and it's really showing that potential now. Way to go, KDE devs!
Release day being my birthday, I'll count it as a present - thanks :D

By Jeffery at Tue, 2008/07/29 - 5:00am

Many happy returns of the day!

By Boudewijn Rempt at Tue, 2008/07/29 - 5:00am

Happy Birthday!!! And KDE4.1 is an awesome birthday present.... On my birthday, Windows 95 was released in Australia (Aug 24) :(
Thankyou to all the KDE team, and to all the KDE users who have made this such a great desktop.

By Judd Baileys at Wed, 2008/07/30 - 5:00am

What a great work!!!!!!!
Congratulations to all responsible guys !!!

By TomiF at Tue, 2008/07/29 - 5:00am

When I try to run a command and press ALT+F2, the dialog appears minimized on the taskbar and there is no way I can maximize/move/resize it in order to see it. This started to happen as soon as I activated the composite option in xorg.conf.

opensuse factory packages / intel graphic card.

By Markus Wichser at Tue, 2008/07/29 - 5:00am

I had exactly the same problem. When compiled manually everything works fine. I guess the problem comes from an opensuse patch. In general the manually compiled version works (for me) incredibly better than the opensuse packages. I guess this will get better over time.

By Med at Wed, 2008/07/30 - 5:00am

Are you sure you need to dig about in the xorg.conf file? At least in the opensuse11 series I have not had to touch xorg as it autodetects 3d abilities and just enable wobbly windows etc through the 'configure desktop' tool. I note there is a specific problem when I enable the blur option in kwin effects but it's just eyecandy so I don't miss it.

[NB, To back out of an effect which has messed up your desktop just use ctrl-alt-F4 and login as the same user and disable it in the ~/.kde4/share/config/kwinrc file. Then switch back to your crashed session ctrl-alt-F7 and logout of it by pressing ctrl-alt-backspace twice quickly, then log back in]

By Jean at Wed, 2008/07/30 - 5:00am

By "factory", do you mean the openSUSE Factory repos (i.e. what will become 11.1) or the KDE:KDE4:FACTORY:Desktop repos for openSUSE 11.0 or 10.3? I'm using the latter for openSUSE 11.0 and didn't notice such issues.

By Stefan Majewsky at Wed, 2008/07/30 - 5:00am

i can confirm the krunner problem with the kde 4.1 packages from KDE:KDE4:FACTORY:Desktop repos for opensuse 11, and i am using the nvidia proprietary driver. also, the device-list does not show up when i click on the icon in the taskbar, and the calendar does not appear when i do a click on the clock.

when switching off the kwin-3d-effects, everything works fine!

By taerde at Wed, 2008/07/30 - 5:00am

Thanks to all the kde developers out there; many many congratulations on this release. I'm using 4.1 rc and already loving it... looking forward to 4.1 final...

By Yogesh M at Tue, 2008/07/29 - 5:00am

KDE 4.1 really rocks.. thanks to all developers who made this possible :D

By Alex Medina at Tue, 2008/07/29 - 5:00am

Thanks a lot for 4.1! Been running the dev version for a while; its a giant improvement from 4.0 and will only continue to get better!

By thothonegan at Tue, 2008/07/29 - 5:00am

I'm just here to say: THANK YOU!
KDE 4.1 is a great release, a big thank you for every person which makes this possible.
Keep on rocking :)

By Lucianolev at Tue, 2008/07/29 - 5:00am

How come that there are still TODO and IN PROGRESS items on
Why don't you move them to 4.2 page or remove completely?

By vf at Tue, 2008/07/29 - 5:00am

Lots of these are functional in 4.1 already, just don't have the full extent of functionality.

By SadEagle at Tue, 2008/07/29 - 5:00am

The dev's probably didn't have time to update that page yet...

By Jos Poortvliet at Wed, 2008/07/30 - 5:00am

Congratulations to all the contributers. KDE4 is really full of inovations, and a great desktop.
I'm using 4.1 since RC1 and every day it's a pleasure.
Only one thing that is not fixed in stable version. In dolphin, when cursor is moved over an avi file, dolphin still crash !!! Any solution to fix the porblem ?
Thanks.

By Christophe Durandeau at Tue, 2008/07/29 - 5:00am

The trunk version of strigi had that fixed ( maybe 2/3 weeks ago), although distros ship official strigi. My suggestion is update to a more recent one because I think they had that fixed in the last version.

By Annonymous Chicken at Tue, 2008/07/29 - 5:00am

Forgot to add, if you don't have a new version available or it doesn't fix the problem, you can just disable the Information panel, and the crashes stop.

By Annonymous Chicken at Tue, 2008/07/29 - 5:00am

Is 0.5.11 recent enough? Because that's the most recent release I'm aware of, and it's being pushed to Fedora 8 and 9 as an update.

By Kevin Kofler at Wed, 2008/07/30 - 5:00am

According to bugzilla, seems that one is enough : http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=164296

By Annonymous Chicken at Wed, 2008/07/30 - 5:00am

Still have some problems here and there, but the pace of improvements in KDE4 series is incredible. If it keeps this way 4.2 will surpass 3.5 series and 4.3 will simply be the turn point of free desktop.

By Iuri Fiedoruk at Tue, 2008/07/29 - 5:00am

As promised I'll add a little money that I can spare to KDE. Thanks for a great release (that I'll have to check out soon).

I'll give 10€. Anyone care to match it?

By Oscar at Tue, 2008/07/29 - 5:00am

Thanks to the Devs!

Keep up the good work!

KUDOS!

"Matched" and Increased with $20 USD (~12.85 EUR)
Another Match?

By Tim Carr at Fri, 2008/08/01 - 5:00am

thank you very much guys! hope this time people will appreciate the work done by the KDE team! keep it up this way!

By killer1987 at Tue, 2008/07/29 - 5:00am

Really. A lot of rough edges have disappeared and a lot of new features have been implemented!

Congratulations!!

And

Thank You!!

By David at Tue, 2008/07/29 - 5:00am

Awesome release, keep on rockin' in the free world!

By Sascha Peilcke at Tue, 2008/07/29 - 5:00am

What happens with this graphic card?

I can't manage to make the kwin effects work although direct rendering is fine (glxgears worls perfect). Always that black screen. In the kde bug page is tagged as resolved, but, i'm know i'm not the only with this problem.

That graphic card is also tagged as "buggy" in the compiz page.

I bought this card because the 3D drivers were open, and now this :-(

Where is the bug?

About 4.1.

For me is nearly perfect. I miss k3b, amarok, kmldonkey and kaffeine kde4 versions, and, perhaps the most important: something to control the laptop power (powerdevil is perfect, simple and exactly what i need).

By the way, i'll spend a few minutes to write 5-6 bugs or requests, once per each program. I've realized that when a software is configured, the menubar (archive, edit...) is not needed. This way, with CTRL+M, i hide that menu. This works with dolphin, konqueror, genview, kmix, kget, konsole.. but not with others: akregator, juk, kmail... as part of KDE, i think that that option would be present.

Bye!

By Me at Tue, 2008/07/29 - 5:00am

KDE4-version of KMLDonkey is available since 4.0.0 times. See also http://extragear.kde.org/apps/kmldonkey/

By Sebastian Sauer at Wed, 2008/07/30 - 5:00am

I have a similar problem. Since some SVN days before the desktop effects with intel 965gm are very very slow. :((

By Tom at Wed, 2008/07/30 - 5:00am

Me too :-( But it's all right with the KDE 3.x.x on OpenSuse 11.

By Milan at Wed, 2008/07/30 - 5:00am

the same here.. slow scrolling in konqueror or other apps.

By Stephan at Wed, 2008/07/30 - 5:00am

The same here with NVIDIA. Now I know what users where disappointed with: Using glxgears the frame rate dropped from 8600 to 280 frames per 5 seconds while updating from KDE 4.0.4 to 4.1.0. Wow! For the next time I need to downgrade and wait for better NVIDIA drivers. Very sad - 4.1 looks very promising aside from that.

By Sebastian at Wed, 2008/07/30 - 5:00am

No problem here on my Dell m1330. The graphics chip was originally blacklisted because it apparently caused compiz to crash sometimes. I removed it from the blacklist (google it or go to ubuntuforums.org) and I'm not really seeing any problems. KDE 4.1 with all the wizbang effects work great!

By J at Wed, 2008/07/30 - 5:00am

Could anybody tell me where one can get all these promotion images used in this announcement? http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.1/

By Tobias at Tue, 2008/07/29 - 5:00am

Take a look at Wade Jolson blog:

or his Picasa folder:

They are really awesome!!!

By cheko at Tue, 2008/07/29 - 5:00am

By Jens Uhlenbrock at Tue, 2008/07/29 - 5:00am

There are a LOT of KDE3 apps that are not being ported or never will.
Here is one idea, what about if we set up a page with some usefull apps from KDE3 that are not actively developed, with a voting system, so anyone can look and see most wanted apps, and maybe adopt them to port to KDE4?

I can create the site, if anyone is interested.

By Iuri Fiedoruk at Tue, 2008/07/29 - 5:00am

Sounds like a good idea. You should link here, of course: http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/KDE4_Porting_Guide.

What would be great is if you were able to build a community, that could collectively flesh out a "for dummies" version of the porting guide and also help people along with porting apps.

By Martin at Tue, 2008/07/29 - 5:00am

And those fancy screenshots with multiple screenies next to each other, with a bit of a reflection that is being used now? I know I have seen a blog or something about that some time ago, but searching planety did not turn up anything usefull. Screenshots are just too abundant...

By Andre at Tue, 2008/07/29 - 5:00am

It's Ariya's small app "screenie", a small Qt application. I've hacked a bit on it to make it fit my purpose and workflow better. Find more info at:

By Sebastian Kügler at Tue, 2008/07/29 - 5:00am

Thanks! That was what I was looking for indeed :-)

By Andre at Wed, 2008/07/30 - 5:00am

All right, I'm starting it. Will try to be as more generic as possible, so we can use the system for anything.
Surely it will be an open source project hosted at sourceforge ;)

I was missing creating something fun like that in PHP/SQL for a while :D

By Iuri Fiedoruk at Wed, 2008/07/30 - 5:00am