APR
2008

KDE's ISO Delegate Votes Yes to Office Open XML

This week saw the International Standards Organisation vote on adopting Office Open XML as a standard for office documents. KDE gained a representative late last year through our legal body KDE e.V. realising that the only way to ensure a fair process was to be part of it. Today our delegate voted yes to adopting the format as an international standard. "We have studied the standard hard and many changes have been made to it," said KDE's Supreme Leader Aaron Seigo "and following a $10,000 donation from an anonymous North American source we realised the market should decide the best formats to use, not technical bureaucrats".

The KOffice developers confirmed their support with Cyrille Burger saying, "The level of detail in this standard is very impressive, previous standards we had to deal with were less than half as expansive in their documentation. Working with a standard that makes such good use of previously established standards was also a main reason for the quick implementation in KOffice".

KDE founder Stephan Coolio was unavailable for comment because he was changing nappies.

Comments

Heh, the timestamp of the post still says March 31, though :)

Had me for a second as I was wondering what the hell :)

By LiquidFire at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

Finally! Now I can open that .docx thingies.

For some more MS interoperability it would be cool if KDE could support DirectX 11 in Plasma:

A raytraced sun dial on the desktop would rock!

By Lirpa at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

I think any usable directX 11 support for the coming 4-5 years is not feasible, seeing the progress on directX 9 and 10 at this moment in Wine.

By JeanPaul at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

DirectX 9 support is pretty much complete. Well, not complete as in completely bug free, but all core functionality should be implemented.
DirectX 10 on the other hand is completely stubbed... But hey, that was just released.

By Jonathan Thomas at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

But why wait all that time for wine to catch up to directX11? We should demand raytraced thingies on plasma right NOW!!! even if it works only on Windows. That will motivate the linux hippies to improve their support to those innovative technologies.

By Santiago at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

Uh, may I ask you 2 things:
1) What is raytracing?
2) DirectX is a Windows-specific technology, so by all rights, Linux has no business supporting it (Linux uses OpenGL which seems about >= DirectX). Wine-DirectX seems to be a loose-wrapper around OpenGL.

By Riddle at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

1) Raytracing AFAIK means that a virtual ray is send from each point of your view. It is reflected and thereby manipulated by objects in its way until it hits a light source. Then the effects are added on the source's color to get the pixel to display at this point of your view. (The ray may also go the other way, I do not know exactly.)

2) What you mean with "wrapper around OpenGL" is the Wine implementation of DirectDraw and Direct3D. There are more components like DirectPlay (comparable with GStreamer or Xine) and some other minor additions. DirectX is sort of a toolkit for Windows game programmers than just a rendering library.

By Stefan Majewsky at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

2) Wine HQ states that Wine DirectDraw (http://wiki.winehq.org/DirectDraw), if it can, uses OGL, and Wine Direct3D (http://wiki.winehq.org/WineD3D) is specifically described as "Wraps up OpenGL to implement an interface for use by Direct3D 7, 8 and 9". Also, (http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6847) says that "Wine does not implement any DirectPlay providers itself". Others, such as DirectShow (http://wiki.winehq.org/DirectShow), seem to use the native decoder libraries. So, in general, Wine DirectX is simply a wrapper on top of native libraries.

By Riddle at Wed, 2008/04/02 - 5:00am

To be fair, KDE has had direct X11 support since ages...

By luciano at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

Heh, not too nit-pick, but that should be "has had direct X11 support *for* ages..." I've seen loads of other people say "since ages". Why is that such a common mistake?

Hmm someone else obviously got annoyed by it!: http://www.usingenglish.com/poll/23.html

By Tim at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

I can only tell for germans, but the "for" from above would be in this context in german "seit" which is more similar to "since". The most common mistake from germans is "become"<->"get", so don't be sureprised if you are in a steakhouse and you heare something like "when do I become my steak", because in german "bekommen" means "get"

By Hias at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

It happens when people translate their foreign language to English.

In some foreign languages it's common to use construct like that. When translated literally, it becomes "since ages" which is incorrect English. Likewise, in Dutch you're "op school" which is literally translated "on school", not "at school". These prefixes are a hard part to learn English.

I think you can imagine now why people make these kind of mistakes. ;-)

By Diederik van de... at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

"It happens when people translate their foreign language to English."

...and vice versa.
When they, the Germans (or is Germen? German's, Germen's?) tranlate "We have a lot to do in 2008" from English into German, they say "Wir haben in 2008 viel zu tun". But that's wrong, it should be translated to "Wir haben 2008 viel zu tun." The same goes wit Apostrophes and Apostrophe's and Apo'strophe's, and with "seid"/"seit". And there is another one, wich I think is a failed translation. They say "Wenn jemand physikalischen Zugang zu einem Computer hat, kann er damit alles mögliche anstellen."
But that's wrong. It should read: "Wenn jemand physischen Zugang zu einem Computer hat, kann er damit alles mögliche anstellen."
In Germany we have clothing for "Men's", we have bakeries called "Back Shops" (and of course we have "Back Shop's" too) and we have "Coffee To Go" and so on. And "googeln" can be found in our dictionaries, as the verb for Google.

By reader at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

Mad, the thing with the apostrophes is annoying to no end... especially when used with plural-s ... those f*ng german retards i have to live with!

By MarcG at Wed, 2008/04/02 - 5:00am

As if those .docx thingies had anything to do with Open XML ;-)

By Robert Millan at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

You got me ;)

I was like, what the hell are they thinking? Are they going crazy?? And since when Seigo became "SUPREME" leader ;)

About 30 solid seconds of despair ;) Pheww....

By PaT at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

"KDE's Supreme Leader Alan Psycho", surely?!

By Lord Hippo at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

So wait?

Is this a joke?

I thought the world was against Microsoft's Office Open XML. Wasn't it?
I'm royally confused. I thought ODF was the open standard and Open XML wasn't. Did something change in the last month I stopped paying attention to the whole ODF vs. OOXML debate?

Why does KDE like OOXML now?

Must be an April fool's joke early..

By Max at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

I think it's April in most of the Western Hemisphere now. This is obviously an April Fools joke.

By Jonathan Thomas at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

assuming you want to discount all of the americas.

By nobody at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

Most of the americas are fools all days, aren't they?

Yours,
Kay

By Debian User at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

Time to switch to Gnome! :D :D

By Bobby at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

What, and miss out on the OOXML functionality ? :p

By moltonel at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

It's supported through mono

I am reading this on the 4th the the 1st a dim memory.

This scared the crap out of me.

By JackieBrown at Fri, 2008/04/04 - 5:00am

How is it that people are confused by the fact that the whole world doesn't exist in their timezone /every year/ on April 1st.

By Ian Monroe at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

They should have linked the Supreme Leader part to this http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1196/747230218_ce3f728204.jpg?v=0 :D

By patcito at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

Agreed.

By Ian Monroe at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

You almost got me :P

By Paulo Cesar at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

Me too... but the part with the 10.000 $ donation made it obvious.

By chris.w at Wed, 2008/04/02 - 5:00am

And not "founder ... Coolio ... changing nappies"? :-)

By Sebastian Kuegler at Wed, 2008/04/02 - 5:00am

Does that mean he was changing his own nappies, or someone elses?

By Phil at Wed, 2008/04/02 - 5:00am

happy april fools day everybody :)

By Vladislav at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

For a moment I was shocked, that our beloved KDE Project can make such grave judgemental error.

But I was relieved after seeing the date on my plasma Clock.

:-)

Regards
Anand

By Anand Vaidya at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

Bah, komrade Jonathan just missed the chance to name komrade Seigo our Supreme Kommander.

Hopefully our faithful debugger KG[d]B agents will correct this bug.

By Bruno Laturner at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

Bah, I woke up this morning and saw this news, WTF?? But then I realized that this is 1st of April :D - Only the date in the dot.news is still 31 March.

Btw "Cyrille Burger" and "Stephan Coolio"? But why Aaron Seigo's name is the only correct one, not became for example Aaron Siege? :)

By fred at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

two possibilities:

1) to make it seem just real enough to real you in at the start
2) my name is already funny enough / a joke as it is.

my money's on #2 ;)

By Aaron Seigo at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

Have you ever read the book Ninja?

By Bobby at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

Maybe one more possibility?

3) The author was afraid he would be kicked out from KDE e.v if he made fun of our Supreme Leader's name :D

just kidding :)

By fred at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

"Aaron Siego" would have been a good but subtle prank. :P

By Juan Carlos Torres at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

APRIL FOOLS!!!

... and following a $10,000 donation from an anonymous NA source ...
And who could that be! ;)

By Riddle at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

I just love this community. Rock on!

By Winter at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

I was waiting from long time when KOffice starting .docx format support. I will not move to OO.o to KOffice.

Thanks! KDE!

;)

By Kartik Mistry at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

Is The Author Playing A Cruel April Fools Joke? I Think So....
PS: The Anonymous NA Donor Must Be M$

By BCook2 at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

Oh my fucking god, that was the WORST prank ever! I started yelling "NO! NO!" when I saw the description, then went "What?" to the "anonymous 10k donation".

Wow. You really had me there.

By ben at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

$10,000 is very cheap. I think KDE's support is more worth than this. Others got several 100 million Dollars to abandon the antitrust lawsuit against Microsoft in Europe. Why KDE took only $10,000?

By Stefan L at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

Maybe Mr Seigo needed a new MAC Air? In any case 10,000 is better than nothing at all :D

By Bobby at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

I almost cry when I was reading this! I even thought to remove all KDE traces from my PC. Oh the Humanity!

You are so mean! ;D

PS: In my country April's Fools is in December 28th. I wasn't aware of the joke 'cause I didn't expect it at all! Gosh, you almost kill me!

By Andrey at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

I hope your country calls it something different than April Fools then :-)

But it could make an interesting story. Headline: "April Fools to be celebrated in December". Quote: "April Fools in April is just too mundane, people already known what to expect. So we decided to have it in December, when people really aren't expecting it."

By Thiago Macieira at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

>I hope your country calls it something different than April Fools then :-)

You made my day!

By Tim Gollnik at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am

I was thinking the same when reading the parent post :) . Here in Spain, and I guess the same applies to Latin America, it's called 'Innocent's Day', or 'Innocent Saint's Day', but overall is the equivalent to April's Fools... Imagine how confused we are with these kind of news until we realize it's your pranks day ;) .

By Fede at Tue, 2008/04/01 - 5:00am