SEP
2004

LWN.net: The Grumpy Editor's Guide to Presentation Programs

As part of its Grumpy Editor series, LWN.net looks at presentation software and KPresenter was given high marks: "From the outside, however, KPresenter looks like a more vibrant, fast-moving project...OpenOffice should not be written off by any means, but KPresenter looks like it may be set to surpass it."

The KOffice project is always on the look out for new developers that want to help make KPresenter even better. If you are interested subscribe to the
KOffice development mailinglist
and bring a visit to the
KOffice developer website.

Comments

KPresenter is a great app. It's been around for a long time, and I don't think it has received the credit and reputation that it deserves. Make some more pr, you deserve it!

(Btw, how do I turn off the google-field in the new address-field?)

By Alex I at Fri, 2004/09/24 - 5:00am

> (Btw, how do I turn off the google-field in the new address-field?)

Is this in KDE 3.3? Sadly I'm starting to see several of requests asking this question. This will probably turn into dozens then hundreds of requests. Obviously they did something wrong by adding this feature by default.

Why does Konqueror need a google-field when you can already do a google search from the location bar?

By ac at Fri, 2004/09/24 - 5:00am

"Other browsers have it"...

By Jochen P. at Fri, 2004/09/24 - 5:00am

I like the idea, personally. Maybe if I use a Google bar in Konqueror, I'll stop typing 'gg:' in Safari. ;-D

By regeya at Fri, 2004/09/24 - 5:00am

Oh... well... can't count how many times I've been typing "ALT+F2 gg:" on windows... I got so used to it...

By thomas at Fri, 2004/09/24 - 5:00am

I also use gg: (and others web shortcuts) to perform searches. The problem with this approach is that its hidden, there is no trivial way to find it. That said, I don't like the Google Field. So how can we make this better? Some random ideas... feel free to improve them :)

- Before the address bar, it says "Location". How about being able to change that "Location" into say "Google"?

- How about, merging this idea with web shortcuts. That is, by selecting "Google" you'd get an address bar with "gg: " on it and the focus would be on the cursor, in front of it. That way you'd learn about existing web shortcuts...

By J.A. at Fri, 2004/09/24 - 5:00am

You don't need to type gg: in the location bar to search google. Just type your keywords and search terms and it will work by default.

By ac at Fri, 2004/09/24 - 5:00am

we need some thing like a combobox
on the left of the url bar ,in this combobox
will be placed the web shortcut like gg , ggg , ly , and
the others defined in the konqueror configuration

By frengo at Fri, 2004/09/24 - 5:00am

> (Btw, how do I turn off the google-field in the new address-field?)

"Settings/Configure Toolbars...": "Location Toolbar ", remove action "Search Bar"

By Anonymous at Fri, 2004/09/24 - 5:00am

I wish this was possible (or I would know) how to turn off this feature in firefox. I love the way konqueror used to do google searches: you just type gg: my_search in the adress bar and that was it. Any idea? (on firefox)?

By Tibi at Fri, 2004/09/24 - 5:00am

Remove the Google search field from the toolbar? Right-click the toolbar, select "Customize...", and then drag the field off the toolbar.

By Andy at Fri, 2004/09/24 - 5:00am

I actually don't have it and would like it, but it's not available in the customize config.

By Joseph Reagle at Fri, 2004/09/24 - 5:00am

Install kdeaddons module.

By Anonymous at Fri, 2004/09/24 - 5:00am

Thanks. :-)

By Alex I at Sat, 2004/09/25 - 5:00am

thank you so much!
i've been thinking a lot about where the turn-off thingy could possibly be. (yeah, i know it was at the most trivial place) even googleing for it was hard :) (just in case google indexes this and someone else puts the same words in, my first try was... konqueror no google and then konqueror turn off google bar)

By andras at Tue, 2004/10/19 - 5:00am

Anyone has screenshots of distinct features of kpresenter 1.3.3?

Gorkem