FEB
2001

Quickies: Kicker Kandy, Toolkit Comparison

Michael Coyle wrote in point us to a simple set of tile buttons and panel backgrounds that ResExcellence has made available for Kicker. These actually look pretty cool. Also of potential interest are a couple of recent screenshots (1, 2) of the Kcd applet. In developer news, Philippe Fremy wrote in to point us to an interesting little analysis involving GTK+, Qt and PyQt. This may be of some interest to developers considering porting a GTK+ app to KDE/Qt. Users might want to go straight to the Klotski homepage. Finally, in laugh-it's-funny news, Segfault.org reports that the Bacon keyword has been googled. Poor Jono.

Comments

I don't really understand the joke on Segfault. Are they implicitely saying that the gnomesters are swine?

By reihal at Fri, 2001/02/23 - 6:00am

It's just a parody poking fun at the whole situation and not attacking anyone in particular. I think it's okay, we can laugh now. The situation has been resolved.

-n.

By n at Fri, 2001/02/23 - 6:00am

Finally i got my dot back :)
2 days without the dot is like 2 days in /g hell brrrr..... :)

By me at Mon, 2001/02/26 - 6:00am

Agree! Our network services provider seems to have pulled a fast one on us (and the rest of their clients). We're working on redundancy solutions for the future although they'll be at least one more scheduled downtime in the next few months.

Cheers,
Navin.

By Navindra Umanee at Mon, 2001/02/26 - 6:00am

Surely, the KDE League member companys can do some promo and mirror the KDE sites?

By reihal at Mon, 2001/02/26 - 6:00am

I find it ironic that the Ximian folks, who changed their name from Helixcode to Ximian to have a defensable trademark, saw no problems in trampling on the name of KDE, a fellow non-profit opensource project. Would they be okay if we used their names, logos, etc everywhere and confuse people?

Sorry to bring up this tired ole shit again but it really chaps my butt.

By ac at Mon, 2001/02/26 - 6:00am

So what? Ximian is a company.
If you really want to compare, compare KDE with Gnome.
Gnome didn't changed it's name.
Gnome is an opensource project.

By Kill the Trolls... at Wed, 2001/03/14 - 6:00am

Wasn't KDE 2.1 supposed to be released today?, I really expected some flashy announcement since earlier this morning...all I got was a small note from Linux Planet.

The mirrors weren´t ready either...

Some last minute delay?

By Charles at Mon, 2001/02/26 - 6:00am

Don't know !! the site seems to be dead.......
But, on the FTP, all the files has disapeared !

The package (2.1) for debian are ready for download - snif , i have a mandrake :-(

By gravis at Mon, 2001/02/26 - 6:00am

Just to be fair on the toolkits you should take off more that gtk_ and gdk_, because code looks like this :
GdkRectangle rectangle;
'gdk_rectangle_get_foo(rectangle);'

while the C++ does :
Gdk::Rectangle rectangle;
'rectangle.get_foo();'

By John at Tue, 2001/02/27 - 6:00am

Just so you know though, KDE appears to pop up Ximian again. Guess they couldn't leave it alone. I thought they were gone then I went to google today and typed in kde and up pops the Ximian ad again. Just when you thought everyone was going to play nice in the sandbox again...

By Anthony MOulen at Tue, 2001/02/27 - 6:00am

Just so you know, Ximian isn't behind this one. Details here.

By nap at Tue, 2001/02/27 - 6:00am

Funny. Google has filtered out my IP so that when I search for "kde" the Ximian link does not pop up for me. When I search from another IP, the Ximian ad pops up.

I guess they thought I accessed it too many times before and helped finish Ximian's money.

What do we do about this now?

By KDE User at Wed, 2001/02/28 - 6:00am

Do nothing. It makes clear for everybody that I was right in my first post here.

By reihal at Wed, 2001/02/28 - 6:00am