MAR
2001

Kernel Cousin KDE Issue #2 is Out

This week in KC KDE, you can read all of 14 topics covering RealPlayer 8 and KDE2 integration, HTML form completion in Konqueror, the new KDE2 scanner library and GUI, SDI vs MDI, kISDN and kppp integration, and more. Go get it here.

Comments

This guys really sum things up :)

I'm subscribed to almost everyone of the kde mailinglists, but somehow I missed two of the points listed on KC KDE, thx for the help guys!

Keep up the good work :)

By Christian A Str... at Sun, 2001/03/18 - 6:00am

Yeah, I know. Same here. It gets harder and harder to follow all the lists...

-N.

By Navindra Umanee at Sun, 2001/03/18 - 6:00am

Kudos! KC KDE is terrific.

We should bug O'Reilly to print yearbooks of all available KC's. Wouldn't it be great to have the development history of the Linux kernel, KDE, etc available in book form?

By Rob Kaper at Sun, 2001/03/18 - 6:00am

This was submitted to us as an article, but since we're probably not going to post it as a full article, I'm mentioning it here for kicks. Amusing, but I hope it's not too flame inducing... ;)

Author: pbkg
Subject: Linus and KDE
Dept: ha-ha-just-as-i-always-thought

Just thought you might be interested in this quote from Kernel Traffic #111 for the 6th of March. More specifically, section 3 and the quote from Linus, in the third paragraph....

By Navindra Umanee at Sun, 2001/03/18 - 6:00am

Linus runs KDE.

That just sums it up.

ps. uninstalling all G related thing as u'r reading :)

By me at Sun, 2001/03/18 - 6:00am

See his email and I quote:
"I had something like six missed merges while running my normal set of applications (X, KDE etc)."

By ac at Sun, 2001/03/18 - 6:00am

Yep, I read this on kernal traffic, too
But Alan Cox is involved in GNOME. So, our "Linux kernel heros" behave in a political correct way ;-)

BTW: I use KDE for my programming tasks only and it's my desktop, but it is also quite interesting, (inspirational, sometimes amusing) to read the GNOME-mailing lists via archive.

Our (KDEs) opponent is M$ - GNOME is our competitor.

Go Linux

By Thorsten Schnebeck at Sun, 2001/03/18 - 6:00am

The scan integration into koffice is truly awesome. The developers are my hero's. I hope icon anti aliasing is on someones radar screen for 2.2. A movie and sound editor would be very cool as well. I'm sure someone will get around to it eventually though.

Craig

By Craig black at Sun, 2001/03/18 - 6:00am

AA is already in KDE 2.1 - if you use Qt 2.3 or Qt 2.2.4 with the AA patch. Oh yeah, and you need XFree86 4.0.2 at least...

Troy
troy@kde.org

By Troy Unrau at Sun, 2001/03/18 - 6:00am

I have AA fonts with qt 2.3 and kde 2.1 but i only have anti aliased fonts, but i'd like to see it for icons as well.

Craig

By Craig black at Sun, 2001/03/18 - 6:00am

Do you mean an AA-version of QPainter? KIllustrator with an AA-drawing mode for lines, circles... Would be nice :-)

By Thorsten Schnebeck at Sun, 2001/03/18 - 6:00am

Craig

By Craig black at Sun, 2001/03/18 - 6:00am

How would anti-aliased desktop icons work? Do you mean the little shadows that you can enable in Kicker? Or do you mean transparent desktop icons that you can see the wallpaper through? Or do you mean something else?

By not me at Mon, 2001/03/19 - 6:00am

> I was just thinking about my desktop icons. My font is AA but my desktop icons are not.

Click Look&Feel -> Icons in KControl and choose "Blend alpha channel" for the "Desktop/Filemanager" and "Panel" entry. Also you might want to choose 48x48 icons for the desktop and large icons for the panel. As for true antialiasing through scaling: It's already part of KDE since version 2.0 it just doesn't make much sense using 48x48-icons. You can enable it though by playing around in the index.desktop-files in your icontheme ("hicolor" e.g.). You need to replace "fixed" by scalable to make this happen.

Greetings,