MAY
2003

Qt3 Documentation Now Available in Chinese

Cavendish informs us that the developer documentation (en) for Qt 3.0 (en) has now been translated to Simplified Chinese. Progress information is available here, and a mailing list is also available for those interested. New: translated Qt OpenGL tutorial.

Comments

Nice work.

I wonder if there are many programming languages and APIs that have been translated to non-English languages? Or does the API have to be askey?

By anon at Tue, 2003/05/06 - 5:00am

I really hope they are NOT translating API's! That would couse a major chaos indeed!

By André Somers at Tue, 2003/05/06 - 5:00am

I once read that an over-zealous translator
not only translated the documentation of a printer
but also the English texts in its Postscript driver :-)

By cm at Tue, 2003/05/06 - 5:00am

What's wrong with that?

I would be really curious to see what kind of code non-English coders write with English-based APIs!

By anon at Wed, 2003/05/07 - 5:00am

A long time ago someone posted that sources of OpenOffice.org that came from the german StarOffice team are with german comments and methods.

Just Kool! (k)DE quality!

Note1: DE = Germany

Note2: hey why don't kde register k.de domain, it would be kool?

By Anton Velev at Wed, 2003/05/07 - 5:00am

argh...
DE = "Desktop Environment"
KDE != German

plz see http://www.kde.de for german localization of kde homepage

As a lot of countries deal with each other in an unfriendly way these days it's more important than ever to emphasize that taking part in an open source project is free to _everyone_ on this planet... and KDE gives a good example as it has so many contributors from all over the world.

By thomas at Wed, 2003/05/07 - 5:00am

KDE is international project these days, thanks to globalization - and it should continue that way, but born in Germany, Europe.
And still most contributors, sponsor comapnies, public acceptance and government support is highest in the motherland of KDE.

(little old but the only found on the web)

By Anton Velev at Wed, 2003/05/07 - 5:00am

While it's true that KDE was born in Germany, it certainly has never been a German project. Most of KDE's early spreading in Germany can be attributed to Kalle's c'T article about KDE development. This, of course, caused a spiril of developers from elsewhere. Today, probably less than 40% of KDE's developers are from germany (ROUGH GUESS)... compare that to Windows... about 60% of Microsoft's developers come from China and India. Is Windows a Chinese/Indian project?

By fault at Wed, 2003/05/07 - 5:00am

But compare 40% and the size of Germany to other countries...

By Somebody at Wed, 2003/05/07 - 5:00am

hm... please compare population numbers, not the area

o 370 000 000 people living in Europe (on 3 191 000 km^2)

o 83 000 000 european citizens living in Germany (on 357 000 km^2)

o 256 000 000 people living in the U.S. (on 9 626 000 km^2)

statistically there would be 50 % more developers in Europe than in the U.S.,
well... statistically...

By thomas at Thu, 2003/05/08 - 5:00am

k.de cannot be registered due to German nic.de rules.

By Anonymous at Thu, 2003/05/08 - 5:00am

DeNIC is a kind of mafia.

By Somebody at Thu, 2003/05/08 - 5:00am

What the heck you talking about, Willis? You can't even register single-letter domain names under .com, .org or .net. X.org is an anomaly.

By Navindra Umanee at Thu, 2003/05/08 - 5:00am

well, i beleive that K > X so why not another anomaly like X.org to be K.de ;)

By Anton Velev at Sat, 2003/05/10 - 5:00am

Heh, "Hello world" seems to be "Hello World" in chinese :)

A kind of international phrase.

By Anton Velev at Wed, 2003/05/07 - 5:00am

I think the phrase "Hello world" in English can't be translated into Chinese easily.
^_^
I like "Hello world"!

By Cavendish at Mon, 2003/05/12 - 5:00am

Does the K in KDE stand for something??

I mean I once heard it like this: Kinetic Desktop Enviroment, I think that's really cool, KDE sure is dynamic and fast! (could be a lot faster though =p)

Or maybe its for Kool Desktop Enviroment, I heard that too, and its definetely true.

I also heard it called the Kind Desktop Enviroment since its kind to new users and has a kind community =)

The last one was Korean Desktop Enviroment, but I'm almost positive that was made up by that zealous linux Korean site I visited by accident.

I heard it called Krappy Desktop Enviroment in a message board on a GNOME topic once, but that can't be it google says KDE is the best. Type in: best desktop environment? and KDE comes up, that's how I know its the best.

Someone just said it was because K was before L and I don't really know what that would mean, amybe that KDE runs on top of linux. But, I really hope that's not why because G comes before K and that would make GNOME better.

Others say its the karbon, Kilobyte, Kindergarden?!! Karat and someone said it was Kevin's Desktop Enviroment... odd the guy was named Kevin too.

CAN SOMEONE SERIOUSLY ANSWER THIS QUESTION!! THIS HAS BEEN PUZZLING BE FOR... MINUTES!!!!

By Mindless at Thu, 2003/05/08 - 5:00am

KDE officially stands for "K Desktop Environment"

The K actually once stood for "Kool".. but that was fortunatly, and quitely dropped in 1996 :-)

By fault at Thu, 2003/05/08 - 5:00am

My favorite interpretation is Konfigurable Desktop Environment.

By Anonymous at Thu, 2003/05/08 - 5:00am

Karamba Desktop Environment ;)

By nac at Thu, 2003/05/08 - 5:00am

It's kindergarten, not kindergarden!

By Somebody at Thu, 2003/05/08 - 5:00am

sry
is the progress information.

And
is a qt opengl tutorial in Simplified Chinese!

Enjoy it!

By Cavendish at Tue, 2003/05/13 - 5:00am

Sorry, it must be the ever erratic KDE cut'n'paste that tripped me up... :-)

By Navindra Umanee at Wed, 2003/05/14 - 5:00am