FEB
2007

KDE Commit-Digest for 25th February 2007

In this week's KDE Commit-Digest: Solid gets support for NetworkManager. Support for changing the font colour of the taskbar. File format import work in KVocTrain. More KDE 4 porting takes place in KTorrent. Noatun now uses Phonon as its only backend. Work is begun on refactoring the user interface of Amarok 2.0. The Codeine video player is imported into KDE SVN and ported to CMake, Phonon and KDE 4. Progress in the 'krunner' element of Plasma. KAlgebra is imported into KDE SVN into the playground/edu module. Search improvements in Kate, with a move to the kdesdk module.

Comments

The music for the tv comercials is nice. I believe it can be used somewhere if not for this purpose.

By Music for tv co... at Sun, 2007/02/25 - 6:00am

the "tv comercial" thing was like a goal for this music not a real target
I hope we can get a tv comercial, but the musick is prety good to be used in all sorts of way in kde, there will be more versions of it so we can make full usage of the theme.

By pinheiro at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

>> All hail techbase.kde.org

Word. It is very nice-looking (although it would be even better if it filled the whole browser width. Hah, can't stop complaining about that one, sorry) and contains useful information.

Thank you for your hard work everyone!

By Lans at Sun, 2007/02/25 - 6:00am

Oh, come on. We all know backstage.kde.org was the better name. :)

* ducks and runs *

By mart at Sun, 2007/02/25 - 6:00am

backstage++
Such is life...

By Cerulean at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

Speaking of techbase... why? There was already wiki.kde.org
What does techbase give that was not possible there?
Will techbase become wiki.kde.org?
Will wiki.koffice.org migrate back to wiki.kde.org?

Also it's awesome to hear that phonon is taking off. Way to go everyone!

By Anonymous at Sun, 2007/02/25 - 6:00am

> What does techbase give that was not possible there?
MediaWiki.
And no, wiki.kde.org will not change from TikiWiki as the admin likes that better. In fact he develops it.

By logixoul at Sun, 2007/02/25 - 6:00am

Tikiwiki is the only reason I stay away from wiki.kde.org as much as I can. It's really a shame that one of the most popular open source project has a wiki that is, to be kind, a mess.
Why can't we have a decent one just because a self-proclaimed admin don't allow to explore other options? How about a poll here on the dot? [/rant]

By AC at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

By MK at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

Oh dear god do I ever agree with you. I can't count how many times I've double clicked on a word in that wiki to select it and that stupid thing thinks I want to edit the page, and then warns me with a popup that the page is being edited by anonymous. Probably some other poor sod that accidentally clicked the page.

By Leo S at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

So true! I couldn't understand what happened the first time I did that.

By JohnFlux at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

You can disable that: Preferences » Use double-click to edit pages.

By logixoul at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

+1. Not only I hate it as a user, but when I tried to install it as an admin, I got scared how messy it is. MediaWiki is a lot more comfortable, and better of all, has a decent design.

By Anonymous Coward at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

well, it's not THAT bad, but I prefer mediawiki as well, and twiki (twiki.org) is very good as well - maybe even better than mediawiki.

By superstoned at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

> Tikiwiki is the only reason I stay away from wiki.kde.org as much as I can.
Same for me.
See also http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?comments_parentId=418&for... .
I've yet to respond on that one...

> It's really a shame that one of the most popular open source project has a wiki that is, to be kind, a mess.
Hey, it's only the user wiki, developers have a cool one... but yeah.

> Why can't we have a decent one just because a self-proclaimed admin don't allow to explore other options?
1. Are you offering your services as a committed admin of a MediaWikified wiki.kde.org? If no, you argument doesn't hold.
2. He says migrating the user database and complete history to MediaWiki is entirely too timeconsuming and that he'd rather improve our TikiWiki installation than go through the producedure. He's open to suggestions in channel #kde-wiki but he doesn't seem to have much time.

> How about a poll here on the dot?
Again, a poll is useless as there's no one to admin a KDE user MediaWiki.

By logixoul at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

> Again, a poll is useless as there's no one to admin a KDE user MediaWiki.

starting one should be easy: http://www.wikia.com/wiki/Wikia

if it grows I am sure we will find someone who will host it in the kde domain.

By MK at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

> Speaking of techbase... why? There was already wiki.kde.org
> What does techbase give that was not possible there?

The contents of developer.kde.org will be moved there. Using a Wiki makes it easier to maintain. KDE Techbase is KDE's answer to MSDN and Apple's Developer Connection sites.

By Diederik van de... at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

> There was already wiki.kde.org

techbase is a(n eventual) replacement for developer.kde.org, kde.org/areas/sysadmin and other related web pages. techbase is a wiki, but it is not analogous to wiki.kde.org.

techbase is specifically, stricly and only for technical information of interest to developers (community and ISV), sysadmins and system integrators. it is there to drive kde development internally as well as provide resources external parties.

quality, organization and coverage are all high priorities. wiki.kde.org is a bit more of a free-for-all when it comes to these sorts of things. while community involvement in techbase is encouraged and supported (that's why it's a wiki, for instance) the techbase team actually does maintain the content and structure.

By Aaron J. Seigo at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

> although it would be even better if it filled the whole browser width.

True.

By Carlo at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

> although it would be even better if it filled the whole browser width.

False.

No seriously. I agree on pages with a fixed height. This is line a stamp, really annoying. A maximum width on the other hand is actually good design. The paragraph length remains consistent, the number of words at one line can be optimized for best readability.

Everyone who've used Latex probably knows about this. There are in fact scientific studies how large a page margin and line width should be. Open any academic book and you'll notice the large margin space, and number of words at one line. Sites with a good width are easier to read _if and only if_ the width is in "em" so it scales with the font size.

By Diederik van de... at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

> The paragraph length remains consistent, the number of words at one
> line can be optimized for best readability.

Unfortunately, unlike TeX, this is impossible with HTML with different DPIs and such for each screen. Second, HTML is suppost to be dynamic and personal. I like more words on a line with slightly more linespacing. Which is impossible with that layout.

Fortunately, if you create an account, you can alter your default style on techbase to be the normal media wiki style. Makes things readable for me again :)

By Thomas Zander at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

Perhaps, although I think most people think Latex has much too large a default margin. Anyway this page at least should have full width:

By Tim at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

>although I think most people think Latex has much too large a default margin.

Count me on the 'most people'.

By renox at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

heh. "no, really, my brain works differently than the rest of the species" ;)

as for websvn, i totally agree. that application needs a non-fixed design. text content (e.g. articles and tutorials) benefit from it, but not web apps like websvn or lxr. hopefully we get that addressed at some point in the near-ish future.

By Aaron J. Seigo at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

The site looks bad on high res 16x9 screens like all DELL Laptops

By funnyfanny at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

The oxygen icons are really coming along nicely, I love the new left icon Nuno Pinheiro made (http://websvn.kde.org/*checkout*/trunk/playground/artwork/Oxygen/Pinheir...), I hope all the media player icons look like this.

The work in KGet looks awesome as well and I am really excited about finally having a network manager that works for every distro on KDE.

On a side note, is there any screenshots of the new KDE development snapshot? Just so I can get more of an idea about where KDE is headed.

By Devon at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

Yes and no. Any screenshots will still show the old KDE 3.x styles, icons, themes, etc. and mostly the same applications. Kicker, for instance, looks the same but only half works (it's going to die as plasma ramps up) and the desktop doesn't even get drawn at this point.

So not much to see visually, except that the libraries and applications are steadily improving. For example, khtml now has full (or nearly) CSS 3 support :)

When plasma comes online, and the new windecos, widget styles and icons all go online, you will get to see the visual differences. When kwin_composite comes online, we'll probably need videos though, as the animations are very difficult to capture in images :)

By Troy Unrau at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

there are *some* and incomplete and unfinished etc etc screenshots in my kde 4 presentation which are available at http://www.kde.org/kdeslides/ which will be mentioned in the next daily fosdem report.

By superstoned at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

Maybe you know this already, or maybe I got it wrong, but I think that on page 21 of the presentation there's a small spelling mistake:

it says "SVG beauty en Usability". I'm guessing that "en" has to become "and"?

Regards,

Darkelve

By Darkelve at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

I translated it from dutch, guess I did miss some things ;-)

aaah well....

By superstoned at Tue, 2007/02/27 - 6:00am

...well, it crashed KPDF (including konqui) when leaving presentation mode, reproducably :===============O
additionally, the resolution and graphics are a bit screwed up!?
Still, it sparks desires for world domination previously hidden deep under the surface.. RAIIIISE KDE RAISE UP!

By eMPe at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

Well, sorry about the crash ;-)

The PDF is created by OO.o, which seems to screw up resolution no matter what I try. The screenshots are indeed supposed to look a lot better ;-)

By superstoned at Tue, 2007/02/27 - 6:00am

At first, I disliked Oxygen icons *a lot*. It was too much plain and boring. But recently they where under some cosmetic changes and I'm really starting to think it will rock big time, and plus, will have a nice uniform looking for most of it's icons.

Sometimes it's good to aknowledge you are wrong :)

By Iuri Fiedoruk at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

> "with a move to the kdesvn module."

I think kdesdk was meant.

By Cerulean at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

Heh
/me must remember to change the dot blurb when changing all other incorrect instances...

Thanks,
Danny

By Danny Allen at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

I'd really LOVE to have the underlined letter in every menu or button hidden by defalt and shown only when one presses the alt key, just like in Windows. It really gives a "cleaner" feeling.
Is it possible to do it without having to patch Qt?

By Anonymous at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

I'd really LOVE to have the underlined letter in every menu
or button not hidden by defalt, just like in Windows 3.1/95/NT.
It really gives a more pleasant experience of deciding which
shortcut to press with only a glance.

By me at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

...and this is why the spirit of KDE is usually to allow these things to be customised whenever practicable. :)

By Jeff Parsons at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

Oh, great, another obscure configuration option to clutter the control center. :)

By bkudria at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

The more the merryer. Please add both options to KDE4

By ben at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

I'd like the underline to appear when I press 1 + f
Can I have that configuration option too please?

By pete at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

Alt is needed anyway for activating the accelerators, so that key is not chosen randomly.
Ridiculing this part of the proposal is not very constructive IMO.

By onety-three at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

True, key is not chosen randomly. But for me, working 'faster'
is more important than 'having a _more_ clean look/feeling'.

First, an additional underlined letter is not excessively
distracting.

Secondly, I find it easier to perform:
look (eye) + alt (finger) + key (finger)

because fingers are used together in a quick successive way,
rather than:
alt (finger) + look (eye) + key (finger)

where I need to mentally "switch" from finger to eye, and to
finger again.

By Re: Here's the ... at Thu, 2007/03/01 - 6:00am

(Score:5, Funny)

By Steve at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

Maybe we could introduce a configuration option to say if these configuration options are available? ;-)

By Andre at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

uber meta configuration setting options are da way to go, definite.

By eMPee at Wed, 2007/02/28 - 6:00am

I'd love that as well. Is there a feature request to vote for in the bugtracker? Couldn't find any.

By onety-three at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

At last, great to see some news about plasma. Few months back there was a roadmap page in plasma's website. Where is it go now? At least it is not visible in the menu. Would like to see more coverage about plasma project. Anyway great going KDE team =)

By Swaroop at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

You and everyone else :)

Plasma will get more coverage when things are ready to be covered. Mostly libraries stuff happening anyway at this point...

The problem with plasma is that it's hard to make the full switchover from kicker to plasma before plasma starts to approach kicker's level of functionality. And without that switchover in place, less people within KDE are exposed to the plasma code (as they don't get urges to implement things)... so once it hits a certain point and can realistically take over for kicker, then you'll see development accelerate quite rapidly.

(also note that much of plasma's design is centred around making it easy to extend by third parties... so the good extensions would not necessarily be around for 4.0 yet, but will probably start to pop up after 4.0 and people have had a chance to do new things with it. But coding this infrastructure is a lot of work and is taking up much of the plasma design time.)

By Troy Unrau at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am

Congrats and thanks to the KGet developers. It's nice to see some screenshots and hear about the new features (mmm metalink, thanks guys). From the plans, this will be THE download manager.

I can't wait to see KDE 4. The Oxygen icons look really nice, and all the feature/improvements sound great.

By Ant Bryan at Mon, 2007/02/26 - 6:00am