SEP
2005

Kubuntu Breezy Preview Released

The preview release of Kubuntu 5.10 (Breezy) has been released. The release announcement lists the new features and where to download. Kubuntu Breezy includes the latest KDE 3.4.2. Although this is a beta release it should be quite safe for everyday use, so give it a shot and let us know how you get on.

Comments

Have they fixed the problem w/ launching admin mode in Control Center? I'm really kind of shocked that that one's stayed in for so long.

By jaykayess at Sat, 2005/09/10 - 5:00am

The only way I got it working was by starting it from the Konsole with admin mode.

Or the easiest way just enable the admin account with the same pwd, so I wouldn't notice the problem anymore...

It was also a problem when using Synaptic...

I do not like that sudo option, to much problems...

By Boemer at Sat, 2005/09/10 - 5:00am

it works here now.

By superstoned at Sat, 2005/09/10 - 5:00am

It worked for me for a while, and it was said that the bug came from "upstream", presumably meaning that it was actually a KDE bug. A few updates later and administrator mode is as non-functional as it was before. It's a good job I know my way around the Debian configuration files...

By The Badger at Sat, 2005/09/10 - 5:00am

While in KDE Control Module for printing, I click on Admin Mode, enter root password and appears as if I entered the wrong password for root, but it is correct. I'm using kubuntu dist with universal in the repository for updates.

~Darren

By Darren at Wed, 2005/10/12 - 5:00am

Same problem here.. I'm on Debian Etch/Sid.

By kellemes at Thu, 2005/11/10 - 6:00am

I have the same problem.
My distro is Debian GNU/Linux "Sid".

By Strider at Thu, 2006/10/12 - 5:00am

anyone have screenshots of:

* System Settings - a user friendly replacement for KControl
* A simplified Konqueror profile

?

By me at Sat, 2005/09/10 - 5:00am

The settings are very... inspired by OSX. Ah, well.

I like the simplified browser - I have my Konqueror set up almost the same although I do have the viewmode toolbar in there as well and omitted reload, as I just hit F5. I also have a View Profile button at the far right so I can jump between workspaces.

I'm using Kubuntu Hoary (the latest stable version), and it has been stable and bug free other than some issues with amarok crashing. I'm using KDE 3.4.2, and I'm quite happy with it. It's the first thing to move me away from SUSE.

By Evan "JabberWok... at Sat, 2005/09/10 - 5:00am

Does anyone know if "System Settings" is a ubuntu-only development, or is it part of KDE 3.5?

Thanks!

By norberto at Tue, 2005/09/20 - 5:00am

It's developed in KDE's playground/base svn repository.

By Anonymous at Wed, 2005/09/21 - 5:00am

Thanks :)

By Norberto at Wed, 2005/09/21 - 5:00am

Does anyone actually get to download the real Kubuntu Live CD? the IS Kubuntu site provide is just an Ubuntu install CD! :( (both normal and BT one)

By Davide Ferrari at Sat, 2005/09/10 - 5:00am

By carsten at Sun, 2005/09/11 - 5:00am

YES! ive been looking for that forever, thanks! is this user friendly? i am kinda new to the linux scene.

By Narcotica at Sat, 2006/09/02 - 5:00am

Yes, this is based off of Ubuntu which is desinged to be easy for everyone to use.

By Nerd at Mon, 2008/07/07 - 5:00am

it generally works well and it is quite fast, so the kubuntu dev's did a great job. not as pollished as ubuntu with gnome (tried that just before kubuntu) but nice.

my biggest irritation was usb-disk support. after a install, i attached my usb mp3player, and just got a window with the error "cannot read from /media/sda1" or something like that. they really should fix that one...

By superstoned at Sat, 2005/09/10 - 5:00am

This is a known bug and i think it will not be in the stable release.

By Volker at Sun, 2005/09/11 - 5:00am

Yes, that was fixed last night.

By Jonathan Riddell at Sat, 2005/09/17 - 5:00am

That was fixed only in i386 version, not the amd64 one.

from kubuntuforums:

Rather strange, I had a bug with usb disks and kubuntu prereleases on i386 arch that on recent installation and updates was fixed.

But on a recent kubuntu 5.10 (today) for amd64 I saw the same bug, already fixed in i386 ubuntu over a week ago.

The bug was when I connect a usb pen (tried severals) or an external IDE drive and konqueror shows up saying "media:/dev/sdc1 does not exists" but the right device is pmounted on /media/usbdisk and work like a charm. Only the kde part (media:/ and desktop icon that does not shows up) seems to be broken. Also dmesg are fines and like the i386 ones.

I know how to manually make it work via fstab, but I lose some multi-usb flexibility that pmount permits me on i386. I Really don't know why it should be related on amd64 if no there is no lag between the archs.

btw in debian sid (not particulary related) both in i386 and amd64 media:/ work with usb..

In the same kubuntu 5.10 pre amd64 that I'm talking about, media:/ works for both floppy and cdroms/dvds, at last it seems only to be a usb related bug.

By Me at Tue, 2005/10/11 - 5:00am

How debian friendly is it? Lately I'm having a hard time mixing hoary and woody packages.

Does it have gcc4? Libc6? Cant really see much detail on the announcement....but goodie goodie goodie, more kubuntu can only be a good thing!

Tim

By Tim Sutton at Sat, 2005/09/10 - 5:00am

I assume -- since AFAIK Kubuntu is Ubuntu with KDE packages -- that it has the same base packages as the new Ubuntu preview. At the bottom of the list of updates in the Ubuntu announcement linked to from the Kubuntu announcement:
"Under the hood"

* GCC 4.0.1
* glibc 2.3.5
* New early userspace infrastructure based on initramfs-tools
* More modular X.org packaging

By Graeme at Sat, 2005/09/10 - 5:00am

I am very happy that kubuntu5.10 has libgnome and gtk+, I know you can download but, for a far little country without internet access. this is not granted at all.

and many software like firefox and adobe need that stuff.

keep the good job.

By mimoune at Sat, 2005/09/10 - 5:00am

Is it necessary to make a release with 3.4.2 while kde 3.5 is going to be released?
It comes with the same xorg 6.8.2, kernel 2.6.12 and qt 3.3.4...

Wouldn't be better to have a version that brought new things? I've been using kubuntu hoary since it was released and I feel trapped withoy backports and so, if a release comes like this, nobody is going to use the standard instalation, I don't think that it makes a lot of sense.

Bye!

By Aleix Pol at Sat, 2005/09/10 - 5:00am

I think it's mainly because GNOME 2.12 was released yesterday and the Ubuntu devs release a beta CD too thus the Kubuntu had to release one too.

By Patrick Davies at Sat, 2005/09/10 - 5:00am

Also: KDE 3.5 is not quite around the corner.

From the Release Schedule:

September 13th, 2005: Beta1 is prepared

Beta 1 is prepared and released after some initial testing. The incoming bugs will be reviewed for their severity.

After that?

We don't know yet how things develop and the Akademy event might change something unforseen. So I would prefer to leave it open if we have a second beta or release right after beta1. I would guess, we don't need a second one for KDE 3.5. So the targeted release day would be towards end of october (4 weeks of giving beta1 testing, one or two weeks for RCs - release)

By MandrakeUser at Sat, 2005/09/10 - 5:00am

I've heard October 13th cited several times. No "official" word on the website, apparently, and I don't follow the mailing lists or however Ubuntu/Kubuntu communicates.

By Evan "JabberWok... at Mon, 2005/09/19 - 5:00am

And as soon as I post that, I find it.

By Evan "JabberWok... at Mon, 2005/09/19 - 5:00am

I'd agree if it were KDE 4.0 and if "around the corner" were a bit closer. As it is, KDE in Kubuntu is easily upgradable and I'm sure that 3.5 will be available for Breezy as soon as it comes out.

3.5 will probably not be sufficiently different to have completely different base requirements and should install on Breezy with just a few upgrades of dependencies.

By Evan "JabberWok... at Mon, 2005/09/12 - 5:00am

I had problem using lilo in hoary, dual booting with XP, but I managed to do this manually (I am using Lilo debian splash). Is this fix already in breezy already? Any screenshot in (K)ubuntu Lilo splash? I am just wondering why there is no entry in kde-look.org? Try to do search "ubuntu" lilo splash in kde-look.org to see it your self? Hence, the enquiry about.

Thanks, NS

By NS at Tue, 2005/09/13 - 5:00am

I recently installed linux Kubuntu and cant seem to figure out the admin account that is written into the program. it worked fine until i had to reinstall because i forgot my password. After i reinstalled Kubuntu i could not find the administrator Settings tab under the K Menu. Please help me if you can.

By George Bingham at Wed, 2008/04/09 - 5:00am

You are unlikely to get help posting in the comments section of a 2-and-a-half year old article ;) (I only spotted you by a fluke).

The Ubuntu Forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73) are an excellent source of information, so I'd suggest searching/ posting there.

Good luck!