APR
2002

KDE 3.0: A New Era In Desktop Choice

Today the KDE Project proudly announces the release of KDE 3.0 (fully mirrored below), a release which marks a new era of choice on the desktop. Every advance opens the door to a group of new adopters, and KDE 3 is set to tear the doors asunder. In celebration of the release, the KDE League has posted the text KDE: The Complete Enterprise Desktop Solution, a work-in-progress but already something useful to show those who are considering the migration to freedom. Enough talk, time to download.

[Full Announcement Available Here]

Comments

Have just downloaded and I'm going to install now - w00t! :)

By Joergen Ramskov at Wed, 2002/04/03 - 6:00am

Looks nice

By Fake_oliver at Wed, 2002/04/03 - 6:00am

Thats is a fake me right? But we have the same desktop... This is getting strange! Ohh well its beautfull and you can do anything on it. Its hte most important "Air" not "Send a Bill"

By Oliver at Wed, 2002/04/03 - 6:00am

It's no fake, the culprit who posted that owned up. :-)

www.kde.org has some other screenshots too. (the njaard link was to some outdated ones)

By Navindra Umanee at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

That's an awesome screenshot.

By Navindra Umanee at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

Time to point out the original then (IIRC Oliver copied it after seeing it):

http://chrishowells.co.uk/liquid.png :)

By Chris Howells at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

Here's another one with Noatun, Liquid and my own color scheme, transparent Konsole, and a kuickshow image window. I am using anti-aliasing with bytecode interpreter enabled, desktop backgrounds from digitalblasphemy.com, the slick icon theme, glow window decorations on two monitors, shown here with backgroud aligned so that each monitor seems to have a different background.

Thanks to Bero for adding Xinerama support to his rpms.

Ravi

By Ravi at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

how many screens do you have to fit all that on it? heheh

By Oliver at Fri, 2002/04/05 - 6:00am

Where did you get the background picture?

By davec at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

It should be in the kde-base package ready to use.

troy(at)kde(dot)org

By Troy Unrau at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

It's not in kdebase or kdeartwork (at least it's not in the SuSE 7.2 rpms of those packages...).

By davec at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

I wish people would give more information on how to replicate a look like their screenshots! :)

Can someone please tell me which font that screenshot is using? I assume anti-aliasing is on, and that it is using the Liquid theme.

Thanks..

By Craig at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

Ok The

Font : Microsoft Verdana (fetchmsttf (suse script ported by me for debian hehe))
Background : http://www.kdelook.org/content/show.php?content=1038

For the size of the 3 menus (since i havent been using KDE for long) i hade to edit some temperarly config files but the screenshot was taken with a cvs release (rc3) little time befor the v3 officialy came out.

But the most beautifull looking is Licq kudos for the developers who really worked hard along witht he kde team for such a wonderfull productivity pot.

I dont think i can hekp anyone else make a desktop since its so easy under kde3 a wonderfull ride. (Note even my parents use it :D)

By oliver at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

You mean "apt-get install msttcorefonts" right? :) Why make life hard for yourself?

By Stuart at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

heh because those are the core fonts i dont know what they include but my script must be better with all the time i spent on it :D

By Oliver at Fri, 2002/04/05 - 6:00am

ill also include the orginal script if someone wants it.. note the files required have to moved from /usr/bin to /usr/X11R6/bin

By Oliver at Fri, 2002/04/05 - 6:00am

Congratulations to everyone involved with KDE! Version 3 is great.

By Jason at Wed, 2002/04/03 - 6:00am

Waiting for the mirrors to update...

Maybe I cheated a bit and got a jump start. I saw the announcement on CVS :-)

By Andy Goossens at Wed, 2002/04/03 - 6:00am

Is it just me or are these press releases getting longer every time? :-)

Oh well, the develoepers deserver a little ego inflation. Keep up the good work!

By Carbon at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

This is the one of the best 'press releases' I've ever seen. All informations are covered by the announcement. Kudos to Andreas.

By antialias at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

Now, where can I get KeramiK (without having to Kompile it)? Any chance to find a binary pacKage?

By Anonymous at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

No, Keramik isn't out yet, it will be in KDE 3.1.

By Rob Kaper at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

I've heard of no binaries for it, as it's still in beta. Compile away.

By ThatComputerGuy at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

And how do I compile it? I've checked out the cvs module, but there's no configure file and no makefile (just a Makefile.am)?

By Ante Skaro at Fri, 2002/04/05 - 6:00am

Add "keramik" to SUBDIRS in kdelibs/kstyles/Makefile.am and it will be compiled along with the rest after you did make -f Makefile.cvs && ./configure on kdelibs.

By Rob Kaper at Sat, 2002/04/06 - 6:00am

Keramik is completely removed from kdelibs in KDE_3_0_BRANCH and release tarballs.

By Anonymous at Sat, 2002/04/06 - 6:00am

By Ante Skaro at Fri, 2002/04/05 - 6:00am

In RH you will ;-)

By ne... at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

Hmm, are you sure?

There is a very good reason Keramik is not part of the 3.0 release:
It is not finished.

And shipping unfinished work as part of a stable release is, IMHO,
wholy inappropriate

By Sad Eagle at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

Well it was installed on a machine I installed the RH KDE rpms on. RH7.2.92 tho.

By ne... at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

and where be its homepage? i can't find it.

johnson

By johnson at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

A very kool desktop style. Search www.kde-look.org for keramik to get a screenshot.

By anon at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

I haven't found a homepage for it but its a really cool theme to be incorporated in the KDE 3.1 release. If you get the betas you'll see them. Theres tons of screenshots involved @ kde-look.org

I personally would like to find out who originally made it and who the artwork is credited to. to install Keramik you'll need to get the window decoration and the style, the icons just use whatever u want. (i like Connectiva Classic by Everaldo)

By Kal at Thu, 2002/10/17 - 5:00am

I just wanted to say to wish the people about to try the modern KDE for the first time "Welcome!" I'm sure you will enjoy the experience.

I also wanted to congratulate Navindra Umanee - the Dot is weathering the traffic with flying colors, just like he said it would. A tricky thing to accomplish, and he has suceeded quite nicely. Heh - at the moment, www.kde.org is down, but the Dot is up. Go, Dot!

Evan

By Evan "JabberWok... at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

Thanks, this article is huge at a record 52 Kb. Someone posted a big screenshot too. :-)

Dre deserves a big congrats for working his ass off on the announcement itself, despite the fact that errors seem to have been introduced last minute (not his fault).

By Navindra Umanee at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

I only want to say this.

By random at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

I recently installed MDk 8.2 and was fighting with sound board and cdrom until today when I changed do kernel22 (no ext3, damn).
But I have to say that I loved that Mandrake made kde3 in a way you can keep kdelibs from kde 2.x, so I can still run kde 2.x apps while I can't compile them or there are no rpms.
I'm really loving mdk 8.2 with kde3 :)

By Iuri Fiedoruk at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

I was worried what upgrading only KDE base and KDE libs might do to the rest of my other KDE applications on Mandrake. Good to know I don't need to download everything!

By ac at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

The KDE project produces some of the best software ever made, and I would just like to say thank you for all the great software they produce.

By richie123 at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

I'm pumped, I can't wait to get this bad boy off the ground!

Congrats you mindbogglingly swell KDE hackers.

Almost forgot, THANKS.

By Eric Nicholson at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

At first I was unable to access either my program menus, or my control module listing in Kcontrol. This of course rendered KDE pretty useless.

The fix is to run rpmdrake & click save.

After that, runs like a charm. Compiled the new liquid ... very nice. Excellent release guys!

By Eric Nicholson at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

What is the best way to upgrade/install KDE3.0 ? I have Mandrake 8.2 with KDE 2.2.2 now. I didnt find any README file where I downloaded the KDE3.0 rpm's which sucks a bit. :)

Thanks

By Emil at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

install all the rpms...don't remember the order, but you shouldn't force any...add "KDE3" to the loggin manager under the control panel....

By Forge at Fri, 2002/04/19 - 5:00am

Eric,

I am having the same problem. Kicker seems to be bust.

Could you elaborate on your rpmdrake fix.
It does not have a save button.

Yours,
-Heikki

By Heikki at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

I'm an idiot, or it was really late, or both.

Anyway, that should read:

The fix is to run _menudrake_ & click save.

Sorry for the confusion.

By Eric Nicholson at Fri, 2002/04/05 - 6:00am

I haven't seen a screenshot, let alone tried it, but I'm very impressed by the professional anouncement. Everything I want to know is there, and more.

Just some tidbits that struck my eye:

* KDE: The Complete Enterprise Desktop Solution
A very comprehensive summary of what you can do with KDE as an enterprise desktop, very nice.

* KDE 2 applications will work with KDE 3 if the KDE 2 libraries are present.
Takes away a lot of doubt about wether an upgrade is safe (as in will it brake my older apps)

* KDEPrint
If I read the anouncement correctly, KDEPrint is a huge step towards making the linux-desktop a reality.

* Internationalization
'49 languages' and 'And multiple font encodings and directions can be displayed in the same document' says it all.

* Konqueror plug-ins
Netscape Plug-ins(Flash, RealAudio, RealVideo), Codeweavers Plug-ins (QuickTime, ShockWave Director, Windows Media Player 6.4, Word Viewer, Excel Viewer, PowerPoint Viewer )

* Word processing
'ideal for those who need not frequently interchange MS Word documents with others, though this limitation should disappear with the release of KOffice 1.2 in mid-August'

* KDevelop
With KDE 3.0, KDevelop has benefitted from a greatly improved Qt Designer, which now supports interactive construction of the application main windows with menus and tool bars in addition to dialogs.

* Library Requirements / Options
Comprehensive set of requirements/options for those who want to compile KDE themselves and still want all possible options.

and lots more, too much to summarize actually,

congrats,

Johan V.

By Johan Veenstra at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

I second that!

This has to be the most complete KDE announcement ever. I especially liked the Library Requirements section (way overdue), as now the FULL functionality of KDE can finally be realised. Especially useful for those compiling from source.

Well done KDE PR Team!

--J

By Jason Hanford-Smith at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

... I love it!

By Jesper Juhl at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

Anyone have the skinny on when debian packages will be available?

By victwenty at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am

Yep, they are being done by calc, he's done kde-i18n, kdegraphics, kdeadmin, kdebindings, parts of kdelibs and kdebase. The .debs will likely not be in sid but on the ftp.kde.org site (apt-gettable) due to some linkage problems (to put it bluntly).

Praise the almighty calc, and be patient until the packages are done in a few days. ;) Yours, -mcornils (aka Arondylos)

By Malte Cornils at Thu, 2002/04/04 - 6:00am