DEC
2008

KDE4Daily 4.2 Edition

KDE4Daily is an attempt to lower the barrier to entry for people who would like to test KDE trunk in the run-up to 4.2, consisting of a Qemu VM image containing a Kubuntu 8.10 base and a comprehensive set of a self-compiled KDE4 modules from KDE trunk (all at r888587, initially), along with an updater system inside the VM itself. After an unusually rocky round of development, it is time to (finally!) announce the release of KDE4Daily 4.2!

The updater downloads and installs binary updates provided by me to the full set of modules: these updates tend to be roughly 20-50MB each (although they will occasionally be larger), take a few minutes to apply, and will hopefully be pushed out daily - hence the name.

Because Qemu is distro-agnostic, you do not need to worry about distros or libraries or dependencies or suchlike; in fact, you can even test out KDE 4 while running Windows! The downside is that eye-candy such as KWin's new Composite-based effects will not be testable as Qemu does not support hardware graphics acceleration, and everything will generally feel a lot more sluggish than is the case with a native install.

KDE4Daily comes with its own backtrace-generation system so hopefully devs can be assured of having useful backtraces in any crash bugs you file, courtesy of DrKonqui. Do note that this system is still rather slow and resource-intensive, so if you do somehow manage to crash a KDE app, please be patient while the valuable backtrace is created!

This time around I have included a chunk of the kdebindings module, so you should have everything you need to start writing Plasmoids (or other kinds of KDE apps) in Ruby and Python.

An extensive FAQ is provided at the KDE4Daily homepage, above; please feel free to ask any further questions in the Dot comments section! Hope you enjoy it!

Comments

Hello,

thank you for making KDE4Daily 4.2 available. Is there a Virtualbox image available yet? You linked to one but I cannot find it in the "Download" section of your website.

Greetings,

goran

By goran at Wed, 2008/12/10 - 6:00am

Oops - good catch, that link was leftover from 4.1 (I've removed it now).

No VirtualBox image yet - if anyone wants to step up and make one, please take a look at the notes here:

Thanks!

By SSJ at Wed, 2008/12/10 - 6:00am

I personally run trunk from source, because I know how to do it, but if someone provides VirtualBox images, I think I will end recommending this project even more. Qemu is great, sure, but VirtualBox has a really nice Qt4 interface, which helps a lot users who don't have experience with virtual machines.

By anon at Wed, 2008/12/10 - 6:00am

You can install Kubuntu 8.10 and then add the Project Neon ppa source. They have nightly build. Standalone or in vbox.

By Xebian at Thu, 2008/12/11 - 6:00am

But with useful debug traces enabled?
What I tried the other day didn't have them (without traces there's not much point in reporting bugs)

By AC at Thu, 2008/12/11 - 6:00am

With the following instructions you should be able to convert the kde4daily image to VirtualBox:

qemu-img convert kde4daily_4_2-qcow-final.img kde4daily.bin
VBoxManage convertdd kde4daily.bin kde4daily.vdi
VBoxManage modifyvdi kde4daily.vdi compact

This proces does eat a couple of gigs though..

By Mark Hannessen at Thu, 2008/12/11 - 6:00am

Here you have http://linuxtracker.org/download.php?id=f89c884aa83cd20ab3c34b2b2c7da79c...

But I think that Mark Hannessen's solution will be faster :)

By Patxi Rodrigo at Thu, 2008/12/11 - 6:00am

A good solution (not mine, was suggested by "kamome" int the comments of http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/11/23/howto-transform-a-qemu-image-to...) is:

qemu-img convert -f qcow -O vmdk output.vmdk

This way you convert directly from the qcow to a vmware image, which virtualbox also can use, but you only have to uncompress the bz2 and run this, no extra steps (also the resulting file is smaller, but not by much).

By ianjo at Thu, 2008/12/11 - 6:00am

As always, a nice way to test out kde4. I maintain a regular trunk build on my hdd, but it's always a good way to confirm if what I'm seeing can be reproduced on an entirely different system.

Downloading now, and gonna keep seeding this one for a while :)

By ianjo at Wed, 2008/12/10 - 6:00am

I know it's cheesy to reply to myself, but I just remembered this might be interesting to kde4daily users:

In a nutshell, you can have kwin with composite (read: cool visual effects) if you use it with XRENDER backend (instead of Opengl).
Don't forget to turn off shadows though, last time I tried them they didn't work at all.

By ianjo at Thu, 2008/12/11 - 6:00am

What i find quite scary is that my virtual desktop does all the effects much faster then my real desktop. ( shadows work here as well )

By Mark Hannessen at Fri, 2008/12/12 - 6:00am

thanks for the tip!

By mxttie at Mon, 2008/12/15 - 6:00am

I applaud all efforts to bring binary nightlies to end users easily.

I may have to give this a whirl.

By ethana2 at Wed, 2008/12/10 - 6:00am

What I would love to see is Qt 4.5 snapshots compiled daily in the updates. On my slow machine I need around 30 hours to compile qt-snapshot + kdesupport + KDE + extragear + koffice + playground.

By christoph at Wed, 2008/12/10 - 6:00am

I only found akadoni there, I guess the Qt packages are currently rebuild. And now go back and code knm4 :)

By christoph at Thu, 2008/12/11 - 6:00am

i think you also need to add

don't know sorry

By ;) at Thu, 2008/12/11 - 6:00am

By anon at Thu, 2008/12/11 - 6:00am

Seed!!

torrent too slow... eager to try it!!!

By jorge at Thu, 2008/12/11 - 6:00am

And what's wrong with good old 'cat'?

cat kde4daily_4_2-qcow-final.img.bz2.a* > kde4daily_4_2-qcow-final.img.bz2

By Dario at Fri, 2008/12/12 - 6:00am

Some people just aren't cat persons ;-)

By kakalto at Fri, 2008/12/12 - 6:00am

since i've got several partitions and grub works ok, couldn't i try this out of Qemu, as a full distro? backing up would take some time, but i got it aplenty until march. how would i do this?

By bruno neyra at Fri, 2008/12/12 - 6:00am

I'm sure such a thing is possible in principle, but don't really know how. Incidentally, all development and testing of KDE4Daily 4.2 has been carried out in a chroot this time around (Khrooty4Daily :)) which might be a better way of running it natively. I've been meaning to release it, but don't know what the security implications are of providing a chroot where the root password is known on every install (KDE4Daily's password is always "kde4daily").

By anon at Fri, 2008/12/12 - 6:00am

^^ I wrote that comment, BTW :)

By SSJ at Fri, 2008/12/12 - 6:00am

1. Its seems that the plasma widget in the top right corner is rendered behind all the other widgets.

If you place another widget close to the widget in the top right corner it will become impossible to use the top right corner widget for locking/unlocking because it will be rendered behind the widget that is close to it.

2. It is possible to move widgets on the desktop in locked mode.

3. For some reason the plasma add widget got the stuck on the left side of the panel for some reason and i can't get it back to normal anymore.

Bugs 1 and 3 should be clear from this image.

By Mark Hannessen at Fri, 2008/12/12 - 6:00am

4. From the same screenshot:
Icon Tray graphics corruption. ( The superkaramba and google gadget icons )

By Mark Hannessen at Fri, 2008/12/12 - 6:00am

# Icon Tray Graphic Corruption

By Mark Hannessen at Sat, 2008/12/13 - 6:00am

Great! If your KDE4Daily install is all up-to-date (I'm sure 3. was fixed recently), please file reports. Can you check whether 2. occurs for all widgets, or just for Google Gadgets?

By SSJ at Fri, 2008/12/12 - 6:00am

I gave it some more testing,
And it seems to only happen to google and superkaramba widgets.
But not to the plasma applets. ( it works fine with the new xeyes for example. )

Hope that helps

By Mark Hannessen at Fri, 2008/12/12 - 6:00am

Cool (and good to hear #3 was fixed) - can you file a bug report and post the bugID here? That would be most helpful :)

By SSJ at Fri, 2008/12/12 - 6:00am

There ya go.

# Google/Superkaramba widget overlap:

# Google/Superkaramba widget locking:

By Mark Hannessen at Fri, 2008/12/12 - 6:00am

Much obliged :)

By SSJ at Fri, 2008/12/12 - 6:00am

Bug 3 was indeed fixed after the update.

Thanks! :D

By Mark Hannessen at Fri, 2008/12/12 - 6:00am

Up to now KDE4 has disappointed me again and again on each SVN updates; i could just see no progress on the issues relevant to my usage patterns. Well, there's still a lot of stuff to do (and a lot of crashes to fix, apparently, at least on QT4.5) but after not tasting KDE svn since more than a month, this was the first time i was pleasantly surprised. It looks much more professional, little inconsistencies left, some defaults sanitized. I still see too many vistaisms and leopardishments and miss a lot of KDE3's advanced power features, but at least i have started seeing hope.
A tremendous amount of work has gone into this and it finally is starting to show. My guess is that indeed sometime in 2009 all the features that have been overly advertised for so long now actually do work with the amount of stability needed to convince people that KDE is indeed a desktop environment you can trust your data to. And it looks as it'll be fun, too! Tough job still.

By Marcel Partap at Fri, 2008/12/12 - 6:00am

Anyone want to elaborate on the need for 4 weeks of a push back for a .x.x release?

Some of us actually follow the Release schedule.

By Marc J. Driftmeyer at Sat, 2008/12/13 - 6:00am

I never see kde4.2. I can log in and after the splash-screen disappears I only see a black screen. No desktop. Nothing. I do however see an arrow that I can move around so it's not dead, just not working.
This is qemu on windows.

Any ideas?

By Oscar at Sat, 2008/12/13 - 6:00am

Is there any CPU load during this time? If not, I'm baffled, I'm afraid - I tested on Windows yesterday (in Qemu, with kernel module) and it was fine. The only thing I can suggest is to check the MD5 sum of your download :/

By SSJ at Sat, 2008/12/13 - 6:00am

I did install som accelerator (that I thought was optional) and now it's working. Dead slow but working. It looks wonderful. =)

By Oscar at Sat, 2008/12/13 - 6:00am

It should indeed be optional, so that's a bit strange - anyway, glad you've got it [kind of!] working!

By SSJ at Sat, 2008/12/13 - 6:00am

I'm d/ling the image now ... 4.2 is the first kde release that's made any sense to me (and I've been using kde since the 1.x days).

At any rate, does this image have all the developer tools as well? I can see it as a phenomenal resource to not just run and log bugs, but for those of us that can code well but don't necessarily want to spend the time to compile things on the bleeding edge we can debug things live as they crash.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again!! Great job!

By Jim at Mon, 2008/12/15 - 6:00am

It doesn't come with developer tools or dependencies, but the chroot used to create KDE4Daily does. See here for a little more info; I'm still not sure (if I release it) how many warnings I should put on it :)

By SSJ at Mon, 2008/12/15 - 6:00am

Actually, that i am able to write plasmoids in ruby was one reason why I was looking forward to kde.

However, and please - I hope noone misunderstands this - for me the biggest problem was the new build system. Cmake has nice colours but the build system really has a few problems IMHO. The error messages are often somewhat cryptic and inconcise. The GNU Autoconfigure system was smoother and I am running a self compiled kde 3.5.10 here.

I hope that the cmake build system of kde can be approved to deliver the same quality as the kde 3.5.x based one does offer to people who do not want to stick to distributions.

By mark at Tue, 2008/12/16 - 6:00am

Your post is somewhat short on details...

By Paul Eggleton at Wed, 2008/12/17 - 6:00am

You could almost call it "cryptic and inconcise" :)

By anon at Wed, 2008/12/17 - 6:00am