JUN
2001

Kernel Cousin KDE #13 Released

Kernel Cousin KDE #13 has just been published. In this week's issue: Avery label templates for KWord, improvements to Kicker, and a new personalizer wizard to make configuring KDE easier. You can read the full article here.

Comments

I'm happy that they have a Flash Plugin for Konqueror Embeded. It would be neat to be able to see Flash animation on a PDA. However, I still can't get the flash plugin to work in the desktop version of Konqueror :-(

By Steve Hunt at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

Flash works perfectly on Mandrake 8.0, both in Konqueror and Netscape. I never knew what I was missing before. Flash is apparently so much better than web/Java ever was. Fast loading, and those (vector?) graphics are just so damn sharp! :-)

Anyway, does your flash plugin work in Netscape at all? Is nsplugins (nspluginscan, nspluginviewer) properly compiled/installed on your system? Is Konqueror detecting the presence of the flash plugin?

By Navindra Umanee at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

Actually, I use Mandrake 8. It works fine in Netscape, it doesn't work in Konqueror. Oh well. Yes, it detects the plugin. It's no big deal, I don't really view that many Flash pages anyway :-)

By Steve Hunt at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

Is the lesstif RPM installed? Just a thought as I guess the KDE2 RPMs had lesstif as a dependancy but you never know. Try and rpm -Uvh the lesstif RPM from the CD if it installs re-try flash, it it is already installed, I have no idea.

By David at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

install the kdebase-nsplugins package.

By Evandro at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

I had the same problem, and I know what to do about it. The mime type is set incorrectly. Go to you konqueror config, File Assocations, and set futuresplash and X-shockwave-flash to the embedded Netscape plugin viewer. It works (a little) for me....

By Wouter van Kleunen at Sat, 2001/06/16 - 5:00am

kdebase nsplugin is installed
Flash plugin is detected but It does not show on the screen the flash video.

I have mandrake 8

I need this working, because I do see a lot of flash sites

I did not find the embebed netscape plug in in the configuration of konqueror

tks

By ozp at Thu, 2001/08/02 - 5:00am

Excuse me ,can you tell me how can i get the Flash Plugin for Konqueror Embeded

By xujun at Mon, 2001/11/12 - 6:00am

Hi , I also want the same. Did you get one??
Thanks
Jeevan

By Jeevan at Mon, 2001/11/26 - 6:00am

Hey all.. I had the same problem with Flash 5.0. I could get Flash to work in mozilla but not in konqueror. Yes, my konqueror is setup to use Netscape plugins 'cuz my java plugin is working. I downloaded the Flash 6 beta and now www.xdude.com is working along with www.bestflashanimationsite.com. I don't get it, but if you're having problems try the new version. Use the installer they give you.

Using: Red Hat 8.0 (yes RH 8.0) with RH 7.3 plugin from Macromedia

By Toppy at Wed, 2002/11/27 - 6:00am

hi

In fact Java doesn't use the Java plugin in konqueror so, maybe, you haven't activated the NS plugins even though you think so because you think it uses java plugin.

Do you follow me ? :)

By Julien Olivier at Wed, 2002/11/27 - 6:00am

There was a nice screenshot here --> http://www.geocities.com/newyen/label.png

Does anyone on the board know what window manager or kwin decoration is being used?

I'm afraid that I'm just not keeping up with the latest, but enquiring minds want to know...

By APW at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

I'm guessing it's probably an IceWM skin. KWin has a nifty IceWM plugin that can use any IceWM theme :).

By David Watson at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

Yep - I just checked and it's a theme called liQuid. You can get it from themes.org (well, actually the sourceforge mirror - just go to themes.org, then click on "sourceforge mirror", then go into the icewm directory - it's in there).

Once you have it, just put it in your KWin IceWM themes dir (just go to the KControl KWin IceWM config page, and click on the link to open konqy in that location). You will need to be running 2.2alpha2 or better.

By David Watson at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

busted links etc ...

plus I think the main kde site could use some nicer screen shots ...

By zoneur fou at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

Yah, artist.kde.org needs some maintainance. I suppose I could look at the broken links and fix those, but I wouldn't go much further than that, the content is really Tackat's domain.

Indeed, I should update my screenshots. On the other hand, they don't always need to show "nice". I try to show some of the themability but also some of the other features.

By Rob Kaper at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

> I suppose I could look at the broken links
> and fix those, but I wouldn't go much
> further than that,

No no, if anyone would like to maintain artist.kde.org feel free to volunteer.
This includes bugs, design and content of course. :-)

Greetings,
Tackat

By Torsten Rahn at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

Could someone please provide a few screenshots of KPersonalizer?

By Carbon at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

...

By Aaron J. Seigo at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

...

By Aaron J. Seigo at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

The one thing I would improve about KPersonaliser would be this section -- to be able to change the presets right here. Just because I seem to like a style that noone else likes :) (normal KDE with focus follows mouse, basically).

I know, I can change it in the control centre at the end...

By Jon at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

> I know, I can change it in the control
> centre at the end...

Maybe for KPersonalizer 2.0. For the current version it's just meant as an easy solution to make it possible for newbies to easily customize the look&feel according to their needs. As kcontrol isn't really newbie-proof with it's 1001 options and tuning-settings kpersonalizer provides a simplified version.

Greetings,
Tackat

By Torsten Rahn at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

this looks just great.
i had a good laugh about the window and the apple.

let's throw the apple out of the window :-)

great work

olaf

By maxwest at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

did you see the "factoid of the day" hint already in the konqueror custom style sheet tab in kde 2.2 alpha yet ? :)

By ik at Fri, 2001/06/15 - 5:00am

...

By Aaron J. Seigo at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

I'm stunned by the graphics! It so good it makes me want to USE the program, if only to see what picture that comes next. Perhaps one of the most stylish productions to ever hit the Linux/Unix world. Yes, I'm in awe. :)

Good job!

By matt at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

How slow is a "slow" processor and how fast is a "fast" processor?

By matt at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

KDE could test the processor speed and suggest what effects would be enabled. Don't show many options for newbies, unless you put a 'suggested' option.

By Julio at Fri, 2001/06/15 - 5:00am

> KDE could test the processor speed and
> suggest what effects would be enabled.

That's what is already on the TODO-list :)

By Torsten Rahn at Fri, 2001/06/15 - 5:00am

...

By Aaron J. Seigo at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

Hey, thanks!

imho, perhaps "standard" or "simplified" would be better then boring.

By Carbon at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

Too late now - there's a message freeze leading to the beta release :)

By Jon at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

I love that wording "boring" .. keep it in. It is a direct slate of M$, so leave it in :)

By kde-user at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

Let's not resort to bashing M$ now.. True they bash linux but let's be the good guys and get ahead by superiority.. not childish trash talking.

By KDE Fan at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

The current entries are only dummy-entries which will be replaced by the final themes before the final release. Due to the fact that the artists also need some time after the code is done the messages in this step of the kpersonalizer might change. We'll try to make this not too painful for the translators, though.

Greetings,
Tackat

By Torsten Rahn at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

Awesome. This is once again an example of what I love most about Open Source : ask for a change and your response will almost always be : "We're already working on it", or "Check CVS, it's already there"

By Carbon at Fri, 2001/06/15 - 5:00am

One more thing - if these are 'themes' (I don't know, because I haven't tried them), why aren't they on the KControl/Look&Feel/Themes section (and vice versa)? If there're *Not* themes, you need to choose a different name to avoid confusing people.

By Jon at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

...

By Aaron J. Seigo at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

Wow! I just want to say that the screenshots look amazing... very slick and professional. I love the idea of this wizard and offer my congratulations to all those responsible.

By kdeFan at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

> the screenshots look amazing

...and, in the continuing vein of the most annoying and repeated question about screenshots (yes, the app looks great, but I can't help but ask...) what theme are you using?

I personally vow that if I ever post a screenshot, I'll mention in the message what theme/ color scheme I'm using at the time (KWiX right now, default colors).

Evan

By Evan "JabberWok... at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

He uses Mosfet's megagradient style and window decoration theme is probably IceWM for KDE one.

By Antialias at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

widget style: megagradient
color scheme: default KDE2
window decor: ice-wm theme "bb.themes.org"

By Aaron J. Seigo at Fri, 2001/06/15 - 5:00am

I don't know who has made those graphics, but I strongly assume that tackat is to blame for this.

Tackat, you're a god! KDE would be half of what it is today without you!

I think people don't credit him (and graphics artists in general) enough. It's really hard to imagine how many icons and other graphics he has already created. If we imagine KDE has about 100 icons (i really have no clue how many there are), they have done each version in 22^2, 32^2, 48^2, each one in locolor and hicolor (am I right?).

I'm afraid of multiplying these numbers!

Thank you, graphics-guys! ;)

By me at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

The images on the left of the wizard are from qwertz.

By Carsten Pfeiffer at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

> Yeah, and as tackat seems to be bored at the moment, he's working on 64x64 icons ;)

I hope he doesn't forget to re-include lowcolor icons.

By Someone at Fri, 2001/06/15 - 5:00am

> Tackat, you're a god!

Well, I'm only the icon-god ;)
Qwertz is the awesome-large-images-god.

Greetings,
Tackat

By Torsten Rahn at Thu, 2001/06/14 - 5:00am

Wow! KPersonalizer has tremendous graphics. How come Konq and other KDE apps have such bland ones?

By Robert Gelb at Fri, 2001/06/15 - 5:00am

How can you say that with a straight face looking at the awesome Konqueror startup screen? Those certainly aren't bland.

On the other hand, the KPersonalizer graphics are just plain _neat_! They're quirky, but in a highly professional sort of way. Thanks again, almighty omnipotent KDE Artists of the land of the immortal!

By Carbon at Fri, 2001/06/15 - 5:00am

I didn't mean the startup screen. I meant the toolbar buttons & the like. I generally compare KDE to MacOSx or WinXP (in beauty) and at the moment it doesn't compare favorably. Configurable icon sets would be great (like in the old AmiPro), but for the time being a snazzier set for Konq would be great.

By Robert Gelb at Sat, 2001/06/16 - 5:00am

There ARE icon themes that you can download, just not many of them yet. Check out KControl->LookNFeel->Icons.

By David G. Watson at Sat, 2001/06/16 - 5:00am