JUL
2004

Announcing KDE 3.3 Beta 2 "Kollege"

The KDE Project is pleased to announce the immediate availability of KDE 3.3 Beta 2. As another step towards the aKademy in late August, this release is named Kollege. This beta release shows astonishing stability, so the KDE team asks everyone to try the version and give feedback through the bug tracking system. For a list of new features skim over the KDE 3.3 Feature Plan. For packages, please visit the KDE 3.3 Beta 2 Info Page and browse the KDE 3.3 Requirements List. The Konstruct build toolset has been updated for this release. Please note that the kdepim, kdevelop and kdewebdev modules also compile on KDE 3.2 systems.

Comments

From the KDE 3.3 feature plan, it seems there is still a lot of stuff in the TODO list and quite a bunch in the "in progress" list too. Is this compatible with a beta2 or is the page just out-dated?

The features that are not done will never benefit of serious testing if they are not at least "in progress" during the beta.

Am I missing something?

By oliv at Thu, 2004/07/22 - 5:00am

I looked at the release plan and I indeed think people will have to hurry. I don't know if the feature list it up to date but it *looks* like there are many many things to do, and there is very very little time.

By Mark Hannessen at Thu, 2004/07/22 - 5:00am

No hurry. All features not within this beta will not be in the final. Their entries will be moved to a future KDE feature plan - some of the "todo" list may be in and only need to be set to state "done" though.

By Anonymous at Thu, 2004/07/22 - 5:00am

So... uh... what IS in this beta?

By Lee at Thu, 2004/07/22 - 5:00am

The "inprogress" and "done" items.

By Anonymous at Thu, 2004/07/22 - 5:00am

It's good to see that bugs.kde.org reports more bugs found then submitted. it seems that another 2000 bugs more appear on the kde buglist. this can also be blamed on the fact that many many new programs have been added. In general I think kde is very stable. we just need to get some important applications like kontact and kopete(voice+webcam?) past something we can label 1.0 and kde will rock!

By Mark Hannessen at Thu, 2004/07/22 - 5:00am

> It's good to see that bugs.kde.org reports more bugs found then submitted.

Read what you wrote! :-) I guess you mean more closed reports than submitted.

By Anonymous at Fri, 2004/07/23 - 5:00am

"bugs.kde.org reports more bugs found then submitted."

Seems like they are reproducing. :-)

By Amit Upadhyay at Fri, 2004/07/23 - 5:00am

I've been using CVS HEAD for couple of days, and so far KDE 3.3 looks very good - like new KDE releases always do! I was happy to find Joystick module in KControl, very nice! Now it would be fun to have OpenGL 3D games for KDE!

What I'm missing / hoping: Search in KDE Help Center and fixes in KBabel.

Search in help was dropped, because KDE changed to new documentation format during 2.x -series. I hope that forthcoming ht://dig search engine will be able to index and search application documentation, some people are working on this.

KBabel chokes constantly when searching translations. Somehow this starts on strings that do not have translation in the database. Please, please, Andrea, fix it :)

Other than these, KDE 3.3 Beta 2 is very stable and nice. I do not recommend running betas on production use, although this . Please test and send bug reports!

Eleknader

By Tapio Kautto at Thu, 2004/07/22 - 5:00am

If you are interested in joypads, you might also find this interesting.

this program can map joypad buttons and axis to key and mouse movements.
I used it for playing savage and it worked great!

By Mark Hannessen at Thu, 2004/07/22 - 5:00am

Are there Gentoo ebuilds for this release somewhere? I'm waiting on portage getting KDE 3.3 ebuilds, but there are only some for kdelibs, etc. but not for the whole KDE.

Am I just missing something?

By Emmeran "Emmy" ... at Thu, 2004/07/22 - 5:00am

Patience.

By Jeroen at Thu, 2004/07/22 - 5:00am

There are the KDE CVS ebuilds that compile the cvs version of KDE. The ebuilds for KDE 3.3 beta 2 should be released soon.

By Daniel Dantas at Thu, 2004/07/22 - 5:00am

By Bobke at Thu, 2004/07/22 - 5:00am

There will be no beta2 ebuild for kde-base/kde, only stable versions. You'll have to emerge each package (kdelibs, kdebase, ..) manually.

By romans at Sun, 2004/07/25 - 5:00am

No, that isn't true. There already ARE beta2 ebuilds. Currently portage is working on kdepim-3.3.0_beta2 on my system.

By Sebastian at Mon, 2004/07/26 - 5:00am

By Jo Øiongen at Mon, 2004/07/26 - 5:00am

I hope some distro will make a livecd with beta 2 like Onebase did for beta 1.
Really, you KDE people should release an "official" live cd every alpha, beta or release candidate. That would be easier and more comfortable for everyone willing to test and report bugs.

By fake guy at Thu, 2004/07/22 - 5:00am

There will be never "official" binary packages or live CDs.

By Anonymous at Thu, 2004/07/22 - 5:00am

Yes a live CD would be very good. I wonder why don't we see that much unstable versions from more the well known KDE Based LiveCD distros out there.

By John LiveCDs Freak at Fri, 2004/07/23 - 5:00am

Not a LiveCD but the newest Yoper Development Release has KDE 3.3 Beta 2 and is said to install under 5 minutes: http://www.distrowatch.com/?newsid=01781

By Anonymous at Fri, 2004/07/23 - 5:00am

I been working on a KDE 3.3 review for a few days now and I put what I've done so far on the net today: http://linuxreviews.org/kde/kde_3.3beta1_and_beyond/ - What is new in KDE 3.3? A look at new features and aspects of using the current KDE cvs

:-) have a nice day

By xiando at Thu, 2004/07/22 - 5:00am

Nice, please keep us informed when you have finished your review. Btw, is Kallery really part of KDE 3.3's kdewebdev module?

By Anonymous at Thu, 2004/07/22 - 5:00am

Unfortunately not. :-( I didn't had time to do it properly, so instead of just putting it into kdewebdev, I delayed the inclusion.
Also a note about Quanta's VPL: it was already present in 3.2, but it is more advanced in 3.3, thanks to the KHTML Caret Mode II.

Andras

By Andras Mantia at Thu, 2004/07/22 - 5:00am

I swear I had kallery installed as a part of kdedev like two days ago! Now I don't :-)

By xiando at Fri, 2004/07/23 - 5:00am

That looks really nice!

Reminds me of good old Word Perfect - it's great to see a similar feature added to Quanta!

By Joergen Ramskov at Fri, 2004/07/23 - 5:00am

What did I read? They renamed Control Center to 'Centre'?

I am just curious since I believed the default language of KDE is American English, not British. Can I get the correct American spelling back, please?

Regards

By Sebastian at Sat, 2004/07/24 - 5:00am

> They renamed Control Center to 'Centre'?

By Anonymous at Sun, 2004/07/25 - 5:00am

Konstruct doesn't seem to work with gcc/g++-3.4 in debian/unstable... mcopidl artsflow.idl fails with segfault...

I'm retrying with gcc-3.3 right now...

By Renato Sousa at Thu, 2004/07/22 - 5:00am

I've liked the 3.3 previews I've seen thus far, but KGet crashes when saving the file list. This means it'll crash when autosave is on or when you try to export it. Has this been fixed in this beta? I just want to know whether it's worth me upgrading, since this was my sole annoyance with beta1 and KDE takes a long time to compile.

By Keith at Fri, 2004/07/23 - 5:00am

Dunno, did you report the bug (bugs.kde.org)? If you had, you could have tracked whether it was fixed or not. (hint, hint).

By Rex Dieter at Fri, 2004/07/23 - 5:00am

Eh, creating a new account is a hassle, and I'll just get "Works for Me" or "Not a Bug" responses from the developers anyway, so it's really not worth the precious time it drains from everybody, right?

By Keith at Sat, 2004/07/24 - 5:00am

Can you imagine how much "hassle" it can be to fix a bug?

By Anonymous at Sat, 2004/07/24 - 5:00am

Yes, actually I've fixed many bugs in the various open-source projects I've helped with. Bugs are generally easy, because they're just minor errors in how you do things. It's features that are the hassle.

By Keith at Mon, 2004/07/26 - 5:00am

its not :(

i think of it as quite poor for a release coming with "astonishing stability".

By disappointed ap... at Sat, 2004/07/24 - 5:00am

That sucks. Do you know the bug number? (KDE's bug database has one of the search facilities I've seen, so I haven't been able to find anything relevant)

By Keith at Mon, 2004/07/26 - 5:00am

bug:81612 perhaps?
(The bugzilla search query form might be complex, but limiting the result to product "kget" and summaries containing "list" reduced the results to 12 entries, among which "kget crashes when saving transfer list" sounds dead on.)

By Datschge at Mon, 2004/07/26 - 5:00am

The konqueror progress icon has finally changed! I feel strange with that new colorfull gear :)

By Juanjo at Fri, 2004/07/23 - 5:00am

I feel strange with it too. Why doesn't it have the same colors as the gear on the panel?

By Anonymous at Fri, 2004/07/23 - 5:00am

Wondering if there is a chance to "push" old bugs to the front of the fixlist. There is a rendering bug in Konqueror present from KDE2 days (bug#: 32577) that seems like it has been forgotten - submitters every now and then confirm new versions that have this bug while there is absolutely no answer from the developers. Hope it's not due to a bug in Bugzilla ;-)

By canobi at Fri, 2004/07/23 - 5:00am

> Wondering if there is a chance to "push" old bugs to the front of the fixlist.

Vote for them.

By Anonymous at Fri, 2004/07/23 - 5:00am

That particular bug already has almost 60 votes (including my own vote). But who knows, maybe my ranting here motivates one of the developers to take a look at it ;-)

By canobi at Fri, 2004/07/23 - 5:00am

What about www.mosfet.org?
It seems "a bit" out of date.
There'd been a more uptodate page. What happened?
Also mosfet? I think she disappeared.

By light at Fri, 2004/07/23 - 5:00am

She? :-) Why care about him?

By Anonymous at Fri, 2004/07/23 - 5:00am

oh, sorry.
I only glanced at mosfet.org, a woman siluette was there

By light at Sat, 2004/07/24 - 5:00am

By Anonymous at Sat, 2004/07/24 - 5:00am

Interesting. Mosfet disappeared for some time.
I have not been in the lists for a while.
Is he back?

By a.c. at Fri, 2004/07/23 - 5:00am

he seems to be a she.

By Mark Hannessen at Sun, 2004/07/25 - 5:00am

Dan Duley is a guy.
He was a very talented coder,
but his immaturity made it difficult to work with him.

But hey that is so uncommon in the geek world, eh?

By a.c. at Tue, 2004/07/27 - 5:00am

Well its all clearly said in kde-look.org by thomas lubking (baghira author) that mosfet is and will not be returning. The site was actually put up by its new owner seeing the interest in mosfet.

By sarath at Fri, 2004/07/23 - 5:00am