MAY
2003

KDE Enterprise: Interview with Display Works Inc.

Recently, Tim Brodie of Display Works Inc. emailed KDE thanking us for a job well done. Display Works Inc. has been using KDE as their official desktop environment for some time now, and recently migrated to KDE 3.1. I had a chance to ask Mr. Brodie a few questions about Display Works' experience with KDE. Head over to KDE::Enterprise to read the interview.

Comments

Great story. Thanks to Tim at Display Works for sharing it with us, and thanks to Christopher for reviving KDE::Enterprise!

By Navindra Umanee at Fri, 2003/05/16 - 5:00am

GO KDE! :-)

By Mysterious at Fri, 2003/05/16 - 5:00am

Hello,

this was indeed nice to read. When will KDE 3.2 have a release plan? Does it have one yet?

Yours, Kay

By Debian User at Fri, 2003/05/16 - 5:00am

There is a large thread in kde-devel about this. Essentially the feeling is 3.2 isn't ready yet, not quite feature complete, too many bugs. The PIM stuff is well along, but not finished. Kmail isn't quite stable with it's new functionality. etc.

I would have to agree with the assessment. There are some serious improvements that all would like to enjoy, the speed of konqueror and improved rendering. But it isn't quite finished yet.

Derek

By Derek Kite at Fri, 2003/05/16 - 5:00am

That's Ok. I think that 3.1 is good enough to take a longer development phase now.

When 3.2 is ready, it will be the complete roundup I guess. So thanks for being part of it.

Yours, Kay

By Debian User at Fri, 2003/05/16 - 5:00am

Too bad Konqueror can't be made a seperate package with its own upgrade and release cycles.

I know it is bound to khtml which is bound to kdelibs, but its nice that Safari can be updated every once in awhile on the Mac without upgrading all of MacOS.

Would there ever be a way to package the big KDE apps separately, with their own release cycles? Kmail, konqueror, etc. For those that wish to wait, they can wait for the next KDE release which would have all of the latest apps.

Seems kind of silly that a more stable konqueror has to wait on less stabke kmail, etc.

..just too anxious to see the new khtml with the Safari merges I guess :)

By Joe at Fri, 2003/05/16 - 5:00am

Certainly possible, but releasing stuff is a lot of work. The reason why KDE has only few large packages is that this is the most convenient way for developers...

By AC at Fri, 2003/05/16 - 5:00am

Why not grab kdelibs and kdebase (and perhaps also qt-copy) from CVS or ftp.kde.org snapshots and use DO_NOT_COMPILE env vars to only compile Konqueror and it's dependancies? I would recommend to install it seperate from your stable KDE installation.

By fault at Sat, 2003/05/17 - 5:00am

interesting....

any howto for newbie ?

i would like to see konqueror.org releasing nightly build.

By Mathieu Jobin at Sat, 2003/05/17 - 5:00am

What about KDE3.1.2?

By Janne at Fri, 2003/05/16 - 5:00am

Very very soon.

Rich.

By Richard Moore at Fri, 2003/05/16 - 5:00am

That's great! I'm always glad to see what real companies are doing with KDE and I am very happy to see things working so well for Display Works. But, surely there are larger "enterprises", that are using KDE, than a 12 user shop? And please, not the old City of Largo article again.

By Huzzah at Fri, 2003/05/16 - 5:00am

It would be nice if "someone" dug out some more companies who would give interviews ;-P

By kidcat at Sun, 2003/05/18 - 5:00am

Nice to see more companies adopting KDE.

On other news, Qt 3.2 beta was just released with a number of improvements.

Also is this a bug:

When i save any html file called index.html in my home directory, every time I try to go to the home directory after restarting Konqueror I get that HTMl page and I DON'T KNOW HOW TO STOP IT, I actually needed to go into GNOME just to rename the file, I'm not sure if this affects other KDE filemanagers like Krusader.

By Alex at Fri, 2003/05/16 - 5:00am

As easy as "View/[ ] Use index.html".

By Anonymous at Fri, 2003/05/16 - 5:00am

Hi,

have you tried "View->Use index.html" ?

By yg at Fri, 2003/05/16 - 5:00am

Nice to see more companies adopting KDE.

On other news, Qt 3.2 beta was just released with a number of improvements.

Also is this a bug:

By Alex at Fri, 2003/05/16 - 5:00am

In konqui, menu 'View', select off 'Use index.html'.

By a.c. at Fri, 2003/05/16 - 5:00am

You probably have View->use index.html on. It's useful for viewing local html sites and docs that are in html. A lot of software uses HTML docs. I don't think this is a bug at all, but a feature.

Other KDE file managers, such as Krusader, don't have HTML browsing anyways, so it should not mimic this behavior. I'm not sure why Nautilus doesn't do this by default, but I think it sure should though. Perhaps open up a bug report on gnome's bugzilla. I guess not many people use Nautilus to browse local html documents, but rather use Epiphany or Galeon.

By fault at Sat, 2003/05/17 - 5:00am

after unchecking "use index.html" I would like it to stay unchecked. But it's back everytime I restart konqueror. I've tried saving view profiles. My changes stick but not that one.

By Rob at Sun, 2003/05/25 - 5:00am

This works:
Add
[URL properties]
HTMLAllowed=false

to the .directory file in your home directory.

There's a LOT that doesn't work, up to and including adding HTMLAllowed=false to /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/konquerorrc
or making sure that same option is in
/home/$user/.kde/share/config/konquerorrc
and doing a quick chmod -w on that (write-protecting it).

Thanks to the helpful folks on alt.os.linux.suse - sktsee in particular.

By Hetta at Thu, 2004/02/26 - 6:00am

rob

By Rob at Thu, 2004/02/26 - 6:00am

One thing confused me though:

"The experiment was a tremendous success. The support issues that would arise time and again had to do with the relative maturity of KDE as a desktop, such as how seamless kprinter was to the end user, and the cut and paste paradigm that seemed broken to them. However, for day to day use, KDE provided a consistent and usable interface for our users."

Is it just me, or does that sentance not make sense? It appears to say two contradictory things at once....

Anyway, nice one KDE people. Good to see companies starting to use free software on the desktop.

By Mike Hearn at Fri, 2003/05/16 - 5:00am

Basically:

They could not understand the X11 copy+paste system. It does indeed confuse people who are used to Windows or MacOS. I've seen people middle click in web pages and expect it to reveal a vertical scrolling widget like in Internet Explorer. Instead, in Konqueror, it either goes back in history or pastes text (if over a text area.) whoops. Of course, people tend to live and learn. I don't think X11 copy+paste is any more difficult for someone who is just starting out computers than anything else. It just provides one more way of copy/pasting, selection paste from middle click.

By fault at Sat, 2003/05/17 - 5:00am

Yeah, I realise that, I meant the grammar of the sentance. It appeared to be saying two contradictory things at once.

By Mike Hearn at Sat, 2003/05/17 - 5:00am

"in Konqueror, it either goes back in history or pastes text"

Or it goes to the URL in your clipboard.

By Mike at Sat, 2003/05/17 - 5:00am

"The support issues that would arise time and again had to do with the relative maturity of KDE as a desktop, such as how seamless kprinter was to the end user"

I think it means that KDE was a bit immature back then. When he says "relative maturity of KDE" he did not mean that KDE was mature, he meant that it was immature

By Janne at Sat, 2003/05/17 - 5:00am

Yes it is alittle odd isn't it....

Anyway, about the copy paste thing, you can always use Ctrl C and Ctrl v like in Windows. But, I like the X11 way a lot because I don't need to touch the keyboard.

For example if there is a link text I just select it highlight waht's in the adress bar and middle click than enter.

By Alex at Sun, 2003/05/18 - 5:00am

The part quoted by Mike Hearn above was referring to KDE 2.1.2. That KDE used QT 2.x which didn't separate the "normal" clipboard from the selection buffer clipboard back then leading to the mentioned confusion. This changed with KDE/QT 3.x, and Tim Brodie consequentially says in the interview: "In the beginning of May 2003, we migrated forward to KDE 3.1, and our staff have been very excited; 'blown away' is probably closer to the mark."

By Datschge at Sun, 2003/05/18 - 5:00am

That helps a lot, =) Its always cool learning something new =). But, why would someone want to use index.html when clicking the filemanager mode? You wouldn't be able to get files would you?

By Alex at Fri, 2003/05/16 - 5:00am

I'd guess using index.html when clicking the filemanager mode allows you to customize the filemanager view MS Windows Explorer style, ie. with a header sidebar on the left and some annoying "you are not intended to view this folder" etc. Combined with KDE's Kiosk feature it's surely very useful.

By Datschge at Sat, 2003/05/17 - 5:00am

So far it seems to only display a whole html page.

By Alex at Sat, 2003/05/17 - 5:00am

index.html is extreemely usefull when browsing my local dirs with documentation.. clicking on a dir is like cliking on a "book"

By kidcat at Sun, 2003/05/18 - 5:00am