FEB

tested and
reviewed
some
new features of
KDE 3.1,
which he calls
"Linux's best hope for becoming a viable desktop
contender
". In the time since the KDE 3.1 release more binary
packages have also become available, please check the
mirrors. We have also been informed
that KDE 3.1 rpms for Linux Mandrake 9.0 are available for
Mandrake Club members;
others might check Texstar's
test
packages
. For Red Hat Linux,
KDE 3.1 rpms are available
courtesy of the KDE for RedHat
Linux
project for RH 7.3 and RH 8.0; alternatively the
ASP Linux 7.3
rpms are said also to work for Red Hat 7.3.

Update on Wednesday 12/Feb/2003, @01:39: Gunter Ohrner has written
in with the news that official Debian SID (unstable) packages are now available
for KDE 3.1.

Comments

The last year's article about KDE 3.0 was only one page by same author, this has three. Also there is a pleased separate review of Konstruct at http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,879509,00.asp.

By Anonymous at Tue, 2003/02/11 - 6:00am

Yes KDE is developing fast.
I just wonder what is happening with Knode. Just compare how much Knode and Kmail improved from KDE3.0 to KDE3.1.

By Me at Tue, 2003/02/11 - 6:00am

KNode just is developed slower. http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-3.2-features.html shows planned features and it seems yenc read support was forgotten. Not that I would think that a offline mode and better killscoring of indiviual users wouldn't be a nice addition.

By Anonymous at Tue, 2003/02/11 - 6:00am

"KNode just is developed slower."
Well that's exactly what I was saying.

By Me at Tue, 2003/02/11 - 6:00am

Sorry, I thought you doubted that it's developed anymore at all.

By Anonymous at Tue, 2003/02/11 - 6:00am

Actually yENC support is in cvs and works smoothly

By radix at Tue, 2003/02/11 - 6:00am

Then put it on the 3.2 feature page.

By N.N. at Thu, 2003/02/13 - 6:00am

Dam, the only gnome app I still use is pan. Hmmm... one of these days I am going to get off my lazy ass and help out.

By theorz at Tue, 2003/02/11 - 6:00am

pan is no Gnome application anymore with version 0.12.

By Anonymous at Wed, 2003/02/12 - 6:00am

There is no complete debian package for sid ?
- ftp.kde.org just offer them for woody
- lot of missing in official (kmail .. )

???

By DebianOwner at Tue, 2003/02/11 - 6:00am

deb http://people.debian.org/~ccheney/kde-3.1.0-1 ./
deb http://people.debian.org/~bab/kde3.1 ./

Use these addresses until the Debian FTP masters have allowed them all to go into sid.

By Anonymous at Tue, 2003/02/11 - 6:00am

Plus

deb http://people.debian.org/~schepler/ ./kde3.1/

for the all-important kdegames :) I think all we're missing now is kdevelop.

For those who don't know, new packages have to be processed manually by the FTP admins so they can take a little time to enter the archive. Once they are in, updates should be fairly rapid. kdebase and kdelibs have already seen a couple of updates.

-- Jaldhar

By Jaldhar H. Vyas at Tue, 2003/02/11 - 6:00am

excellent! I now have noatun. But none of these three sites have kdenetwork. Is that up anywhere?

By another debian user at Tue, 2003/02/11 - 6:00am

By Gunter Ohrner at Wed, 2003/02/12 - 6:00am

I installed kdenetwork from that source and kmail won't start. (error msg: "kmail: relocation error: kmail: undefined symbol: _ZN8DwString4nposE") Is that a shared library problem?? Does anyone know how to fix it? Baring that, how can uninstall all of the packages that were installed when I typed "apt-get install kdenetwork"? Removing kdenetwork itself doesn't seem to remove those packages.

Thanks

By Jim Chabot at Thu, 2003/02/13 - 6:00am

> kmail won't start

I didn't try these packages yet, so I cannot help there, sorry.

However:

> how can uninstall all of the packages that were installed when I typed
> "apt-get install kdenetwork"

You definitely want to take a look at aptitude. apt-get itself cannot do that, only with the help of deb-foster and/or deborphan. However, aptitude can, much more easily than with apt-get, deborphan and deb-foster and it's very handy in various other, different ways.

For me, aptitude definitely is a "must have" to manage a Debian installation. It features a command line interface and an ncurses based, menu controlled UI with mouse support. Both are equally powerful, you can choose one depending on your preferences. I personally like the ncurses interface very much.

Greetings,

Gunter

By Gunter Ohrner at Thu, 2003/02/13 - 6:00am

"kmail: undefined symbol: _ZN8DwString4nposE")"

Purge libmimelib1 and then reinstall from unstable.

By Anonymous at Fri, 2003/02/14 - 6:00am

Thanks, Gunter and anonymous. I found a new set of debs that work before I read this, but I went ahead and purged libmimelib1 anyway to avoid potential future problems. As for aptitude, it is quite nice. Thanks for the tip.

By Jim Chabot at Sat, 2003/02/15 - 6:00am

10x... That help me move 1 more function from Windows to Linux (-:

By Lior Kaplan at Wed, 2003/05/21 - 5:00am

I've tried to install KDE 3.1.4 on Sid. Apt-get had removed large number of packages and stuck. I decided to return to 3.1.3, but after I did kmail didn't work ("kmail: relocation error: kmail: undefined symbol"). Thanks to your admice it's back to the living.

By Kuba at Fri, 2003/10/03 - 5:00am

Add one more note of thanks for the tip on this one - during the process of fixing my horribly confused testing/unstable machine I got this error - would have had no way of knowing how to fix it.

By jvarner at Fri, 2004/02/06 - 6:00am

Worked for me too. I was stuck without my trusty kmail for ten days!

Now the question is: how the hell would I make out what to do? I mean with libmimelib1, without reading this thread? I've been trying many things... including downgrade a lot of stuff, without success. What was the clue that should have pointed me at libmimelib1, and that so obviously I've been missing?

Show a man how to fish...

By andrew at Tue, 2004/02/17 - 6:00am

Yes, finally RH8.0 rpms, good work from the KDE for RedHat Linux guys.

The only problem for me is that one certain member from my household is playing CounterStrike, and I don't want to ruin his game :(

Well I guess I can wait for a couple of hours.....

By Johan Veenstra at Tue, 2003/02/11 - 6:00am

Somehow I doubt that CounterStrike depends on KDE.

By Anonymous at Tue, 2003/02/11 - 6:00am

I think it depends on the internet connection though. =P

By Datschge at Tue, 2003/02/11 - 6:00am

I clicked on the "mirrors" link. In the RedHat 8 directory there was a README saying that official RPM's would arrive on Feb. 15. Anyone who can confirm this?

By Rimmer at Tue, 2003/02/11 - 6:00am

Hi, any reply to this ?

By Bicatu at Fri, 2003/02/14 - 6:00am

Yea, where the f..* are they ? Now it's the 16.

By Martin at Sun, 2003/02/16 - 6:00am

Before starting a great(for a 56k modem) download, are the qt compiled with freetype2(the RH hacked freetype I mean) support(like one article I've found on kde-look)?

By ra1n at Tue, 2003/02/18 - 6:00am

I was trying to use the 3.1-adressbooks' ldap-support and failed. I entered the server name, port and base dn.

Entering something in the incremental search field did not work. In the help-file, they talk about a 'magnifying-glass-over-a-book'-icon in the toolbar, which I do not have.

Yesterday, I was told it's because I don't have the sql-io-slave installed, but i thought sql and ldap are quite unrelated?!

So, did anyone get that to work? If yes, how? Also, I have only around 200 entries in the directory, can I have my address-book automatically filled with these entries? I don't want to have to search for them every time.

thanks,
ben

By ben at Tue, 2003/02/11 - 6:00am

I tried this earlier today and had some success. After configuring kaddressbook to use one or more ldap servers, you need to click one of the toolbar icons. For me, I believe it was the right most icon. I'd be more specific, but my test machine is at work. If you don't have this icon, as you've said, you should try configuring your toolbar and adding the icon. The incremental search does not search the ldap servers. I find this feature very cool, but does anbody know if it's possible to get KMail to see the LDAP contacts? Currently, I have to add the LDAP contacts to my local address book for them to show up in KMail.

By matt at Wed, 2003/02/12 - 6:00am

Is it possible to get the old way to work of kadressbook without ldap ?
I don't need ldap for my contact :( I am the only user in my box and it is stupid to waste time learning ldap, configuruing it,... just to store thousand of contact.

By Shift at Wed, 2003/02/12 - 6:00am

kaddressbook doesn't require ldap. it defaults to a local text file with options for things like LDAP or a binary file (dunno if that last one made it into 3.1 or not off-hand though)

By Aaron J. Seigo at Wed, 2003/02/12 - 6:00am

I've the same problem... There isn't a 'magnifying-glass-over-a-book'...

thanks.

Antenore.

By Antenore at Fri, 2003/08/01 - 5:00am

From the article summary:
(+) Tabbed browsing in Konqueror; handy desktop sharing feature; interface enhancements.
(-) Multitude of configuration options can prove confusing.

Strange how only a short while ago reviewers complained that Linux GUI config tools had too little coverage...

By Andy Marchewka at Tue, 2003/02/11 - 6:00am

I don't think the criticism was for the level of support, but rather for the way it's organized. I think he's right on the ball with that criticism too. Why are Window Behavior and Window Decorations not in the same submenu? Why are Style, Theme Manager, and Window Decorations separate items (they all sound like the same thing)? What is the Desktop submenu for anyway -- I thought KDE *was* the desktop. Why is there a Behavior panel and a Window Behavior panel?

I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here -- I've learned to navigate the control center after years of experience. For a newbie, though, I can't imagine it makes any sense at all. Heck, it doesn't make any sense at all to *me*, I just know where things are now. I think it might have improved slightly since 3.0 but it's still a godawful mess.

Also, maybe it's OT but I don't see the resolution control panel that was mentioned in the review. Any hints as to where I can find it?

By n8gray at Tue, 2003/02/11 - 6:00am

And may I add,
- Has anyone ever used:
(right click on desktop)->Create New->Html File

- (Right Click Folder)->Open Terminal Here.

- (Right Click Konqueror Background)->Edit File Type?

Me

By Me at Tue, 2003/02/11 - 6:00am

Right Click -> Edit File Type?
Yes, after updating to 3.1 for some reason some of my file associations got lost so that some files e.g. the trash were opened with kuickshow - that's when I used that option.

By Anonymous at Wed, 2003/02/12 - 6:00am

No, I said right click on konqueror background! The context menu!
That alows you to change the type of the directory you're at... now have you ever used *that*!?

See what I mean, not clicking a file and chosing change type,clicking in the background of konqueror and choosing change type.

Me

By Me at Thu, 2003/02/13 - 6:00am

i've used all three. the Crew New subdir doesn't get in the way IMHO, but the other two belong elsewhere (namely in an Add Ons submenu and in the file properties dialog respectively)

By Aaron J. Seigo at Wed, 2003/02/12 - 6:00am

.. oops wrong forum ... anyway yes. Think about how to simplify simplify simplify KDE. The KControl needs some serious love and making over from a UI and HID specialist.

And yest it's nice to have nice file picker widget and all (compared to Gnome - ugh!) but, uhh, folks - KDE's filepicker is OUT OF CONTROL. Thje filepicker itself is turning into a miniature application. I think it good to pay attention to MacOS/NeXT etc. less crap = faster and less bugs.

Think asthetically too ....

By NONInstaller-of-KDE at Wed, 2003/02/12 - 6:00am

> less crap = faster and less bugs
where are the bugs in the KDE file picker?
I don't know of any and I love the dialog really: it's beautiful und funcional. And also fast - the windows file picker is worse.

By Peter at Wed, 2003/02/12 - 6:00am

No! Wrong way IMHO! The fine thing in KDE is that it's _not_ oversimplified. If you want a "simple" OS/GUI choose Windows, MacOS or Unix/twm or fvwm2 maybe.

I can't see what's wrong with KDE's filepicker. Yes, any file picker _is_ (and should be considered) a miniature application. The KDE folks are the first to do it right since Peter Norton... (yes, I know mc ;). They give me the opportunity to do things more than one way, and being a Perl geek I consider this to be a good thing.

Same goes with the KDE control center. I can't hear those complaints "oh boy, that's too much gadgets here, I really can't find the one I am looking for..." (ok, we'll add it for you ;). Thinking that you can reduce the "searching" by removing gadgets while maintaining configurability is thinking too simple... (pun intended ;).

KDE means Unix, Unix means power, power needs control, control needs a center. Simple isn't it? ;)

Aestethics is something one can't discuss about, so I leave it at saying that KDE is the desktop environment with the best functionality : sexiness ratio I know of (and thrust me, I know many). I also like Gnome, and WindowMaker for example, but both of them spend much on looks while not reaching the usability of KDE for me. They are (and traditionally were) better when it comes to themeing and such. But that's not on the top of my wishlist anyway...

The good news is, there _are_ simpler (in your sense of simplicity) things out there. But for myself, I want my KDE to stay as "gadgety" as it is.

Cheers,
Flexx

By Alexander Wessel at Thu, 2003/02/13 - 6:00am

This is interesting to say the least. I use both KDE and Gnome. I would have thought KDE did much more/(cared more) about the 'look' than Gnome. Not to say Gnome is bad. I like it better than KDE in terms of the look.(Hate Windows). I lke its functionality though. I totally agree that the situation is not good. Its too difficult to figure out what to configure to do what. Here is a proposal for you people who do the developing. I liek the side bar in the control center, but I do not think it should have sub menus. Just the categories like, 'Desktop Look', 'Sound server', Kernel Tuning' and so on. The other submenus should be tabs across the top of the Control Center window. No more submenus after that. Maybe pop up dialogs. If it can't fit into that scheme then something wrong.

Do aggregate some of these options.

Do not have 3.1 yet though, using Redhat. Will get down to getting it soon.

By Maynard Kuona at Mon, 2003/02/17 - 6:00am

Cramming too much into each panel would be way too confusing. KDE (and probably *most* things open source) offers a lot of flexibility, which means a good deal of detail that can be configured under each category. And I don't think the community would have it any other way -- I certainly like my apps to look and behave "my way". So each config category has to be fairly specific. I'm really happy that KDE takes care of so much of it.

I use M$ at work, so I certainly haven't seen a better navigation model to make suggestions from. [Does anybody know where the "Console" applet from NT's control panel is under Win2K? It's amazing that a screen buffer is not allocated to each window by default.]

If you've got suggestions for improving the Config navigation, I'm sure the folks at usability.kde.org would love to get into a dialogue.

Personally, I'm really happy with the KDE Control Centre's "Search" function. I use that whenever I don't already know which panel holds an option that I want, and it's never let me down. Very powerful and innovative, in my opinion.

By Andy Marchewka at Wed, 2003/02/12 - 6:00am

how about a simple mouse over "tool tip" to give
a terse 2-4 work ( or maybe even a sentenc) description
of what the apps in the menu are.

By kannister at Sun, 2003/02/16 - 6:00am

has anyone tried the test rpms for mandrake 9.0 ?

By Andreas at Tue, 2003/02/11 - 6:00am

Yes they don't work.

By KDE User at Tue, 2003/02/11 - 6:00am

Well, it seems to differ somewhat. I know that some people have had problems, but I have three installations that work. Two desktops that are more or less rock steady, and one laptop with a few problems.
So, while not perfect, they are definitely worth a try.

By Göran Jartin at Tue, 2003/02/11 - 6:00am

I'm using them right now, and I'd say they "mostly" work, with one glaring exception. For some reason, KMail doesn't seem to do mail checking except on startup. Interval checking doesn't do anything, nor does checking mailboxes manually. Go figure.

By Kyle Haight at Tue, 2003/02/11 - 6:00am