JAN
2005

OSDir.com: Bitten By the aKregator

In "Bitten By the aKregator" George Staikos reviews KDE's new RSS feed reader aKregator: "The power of KDE strikes again! aKregator is little more than a repackaging of KHTML and KDE's RSS parser in a more convenient form for reading news, and that's what makes it so nice."

Comments

Kontact promises to be again a new killer app with such improvements!

By Davide Ferrari at Tue, 2005/01/18 - 6:00am

kontact ? wrong article ?

By undo at Tue, 2005/01/18 - 6:00am

Akregator can be embedded as a kpart inside kontact.

By ac at Tue, 2005/01/18 - 6:00am

akregator is part of kdepim (and kontact)

By anon at Tue, 2005/01/18 - 6:00am

It works nicely, but I quite frequently wish for Konqueror-type features (Address bar, etc).

By Luke-Jr at Tue, 2005/01/18 - 6:00am

And to obey Konq setting such as minimum font size, etc. I find I often have to open article externally if i want to read more than a few lines. It's a great program though. Really such a simple and straight forward interface... one wonders why it took KDE so long to get a *useful* RSS user interface. Good to see Akregator is getting a lot of attention these days (and was sucked into pim)... things can only get better.

By Tim Middleton at Wed, 2005/01/19 - 6:00am

> And to obey Konq setting such as minimum font size, etc

already in cvs

By anon at Thu, 2005/01/20 - 6:00am

Since aKregator is stable now, maybe it is a good idea to remove all RSS-related code from newsticker and let newsticker be what it is; a ticker.

- Robert

By Robert Schouwenburg at Wed, 2005/01/19 - 6:00am

"aKregator could push news-items via DCOP to the newsticker. Moreover these news-items can even be removed after they have been read in aKregator. Again via DCOP. This interface can even allow other applications to post news-items to the newsticker. I can think of Kmail for new messages, Knode for new articles or Korganizer for events and tasks."

hmmmm.... I find your ideas intriguing, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter...

By Janne at Wed, 2005/01/19 - 6:00am

Does browsing in the aKregator also obey your java, cookie etc. settings?

By ac at Thu, 2005/01/20 - 6:00am

aKregator will not work with the following feed: http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/rssfeed/activeposts.xml

Sage and other readers work fine and the feed is validated. I attempted to post a message to their mailing list and got a bounce message about my gmail.com account not being a valid domain...not that impressed. Went to using sage with firefox.

By famewolf at Sun, 2005/01/23 - 6:00am