OCT
2000

KDE 2.0 Enters FreeBSD Ports

KDE 2.0 final is now available from the ports tree. Use cvsup to sync your ports tree with the master site, and then enjoy KDE 2 with
cd /usr/ports/x11/kde2 ; make install
as root. Finally, a KDE more recent than 1.94. Only thing that seems missing is kdepim. Hopefully this also fixes the compilation problem leading to an unusable khtml on FreeBSD. See
FreshPorts for more details. Enjoy. ;-)

Comments

Great! Compiling right as i type.. :)

(damn what a long time it takes!)

By Per Wigren at Wed, 2000/10/25 - 5:00am

That dumb guy at Slashdot who said KDE's source is more portable than Gnome's would feel embaressed now...

By Anonymous at Wed, 2000/10/25 - 5:00am

Why? You can ( and I have ) compile the source tarballs as released by KDE, unpatched.

The compile problem is a GNU libtool bug. HAND, advocating the quality of GNU software, such as GNOME and libtool

By George Russell at Wed, 2000/10/25 - 5:00am

me too! i can compile unpatched from the tarballs, without any problem after figuring out the correct LIBS environment to set ;)

By nuzrin at Thu, 2000/10/26 - 5:00am

I've been checking every day for qt-2.2.1 since it was announced. And I've been checking twice daily for kde-2 since Monday. I checked last night and neither qt221 nor kde2 were there. I was starting to think that the maintainer was on vacation...

Now it's here! But... but... I have class tonight and can't build it :-( Maybe I'll use a sick day tomorrow from work :-)

By David Johnson at Wed, 2000/10/25 - 5:00am

precompiled packages available for FreeBSD 4.1?
just want to save some time compiling everything :-)

By mr. daemon at Thu, 2000/10/26 - 5:00am

Hi.

The whole of ports gets built weekly. Judging by the timestamp from last week's build of 1.94, 2.0 ought to hit the packages directory either Friday or Saturday.

The link should be:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-stable/packages/kde

when it gets there. You'll likely want to re-build qt2.2.1 (which is in: ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-stable/packages/x11-toolkits)
as the binary package won't have gif support compiled in.

Cheers,

Ben

By benmhall at Fri, 2000/10/27 - 5:00am

just found out that 2.0 binaries are at ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/will/

in the process of downloading :-)
thanks