JAN
2002

Dalheimer: Design Patterns in Qt

Matthias Kalle Dalheimer,
who besides being one of the initial KDE developers, author of a famous
c't article which helped galvanize KDE early in its life, author of an
important series of early KDE articles
(1,
as well as the author of
several
books on Qt development
published by
O'Reilly®, has recently
authored an article entitled
Design
Patterns in Qt
. In it he explores how the
concepts from the "Gang of Four" book
Design Patterns
are used in Qt programming, focusing specifically on Qt's signal-slot
architecture. Enjoy!

Comments

The "Design Patterns in Qt" link doesn't work in Konqi :-(
Using KDE 2.2.2 and now switching to Mozilla to see this link...

Nope, this isn't a bugreport. Those should go on bugs.kde.org ;-)

By Storm at Wed, 2002/01/16 - 6:00am

Works with KDE 2.2.2 here.

By ac at Wed, 2002/01/16 - 6:00am

Yes, works perfectly here as well.

By Jon at Wed, 2002/01/16 - 6:00am

Hmmm... strange
maybe because I use the ISP proxy?
hopefully it works in kde 3 for me

By Storm at Wed, 2002/01/16 - 6:00am

Oh it does work... I had to enable java first. I've got it disabled by default.

By Gerben at Thu, 2002/01/17 - 6:00am

OK, I found the problem. It was RedHat's fault...
I updated my system to KDE 2.2.2 but for a strange reason RedHat didn't released all the KDE 2.2.2 rpm's at once.
kdebase-2.2.1-1 (and others) were still on my system

So my system was running on KDE 2.2.1,5 :-)

I'm now very happy with KDE, runs faster and constains less bugs...

By Storm at Wed, 2002/01/23 - 6:00am

When will the next kde3 beta come? and stable?

By Andreas at Wed, 2002/01/16 - 6:00am

By HAL at Wed, 2002/01/16 - 6:00am

...is that Qt became a great symbiosis of design, for example by employing several design patterns, and functionality. Functionality in the sense that it still works on a wide range of platforms with equivalent power.

I've seen quite a number of projects which either became a pile of hacks (because it became apparent that certain compilers required certain workarounds. The business approach, so to say.) or a fairly well-designed but virtually unusuable collection of design patterns (because the authors refused to honour the importance of certain projects appropriately and instead insisted on clean code. You might call it the academic extreme).

As far as I've been able to figure out, there is of course a rather large number of hacks and workarounds in Qt as well, but those are very well hidden from the clients, so there's no need for guilty conscience or that "dirty" feeling. ;-)

By Frerich Raabe at Wed, 2002/01/16 - 6:00am