JUL
2002

KDE 3.0.2: Second KDE 3 Service Release Ships

The KDE Project today announced the availability of KDE 3.0.2,
the second maintenance release
of the KDE 3.0 series. Dirk Mueller,
the KDE 3 release coordinator, explained that
"a number of stability and useability enhancements have been
backported from the active KDE 3.1 branch to the KDE 3.0 codebase and
bundled in this update. We recommend that all KDE 3 users update
to this newest, stable release.
" More details are in the
announcement,
or jump directly to the download directory.
Congratulations to the KDE developers on another great release! And stay tuned:
the first KDE 3.1 alpha release, this one complete with a slew
of cool new features (such as the widely requested tabbed browsing
in Konqueror), is due out next week already!

Comments

I can't remember what all packages I had to install. Send me an email with the errors you're getting and I may be able to help. I can also give you a list of my installed packages if you'd like.

Trevor

By Trevor at Thu, 2002/07/04 - 5:00am

redhat sucks because it doesn't provide packages. Yes, I'm compiling now but that's not the point. Got to find some time and dump redhat. 4th of July might be the perfect time! Gentoo should be the lucky one.

By abemud at Wed, 2002/07/03 - 5:00am

Yeah, DeadRat sucks really bad.

Gentoo or LFS are good choices.

By annonymous at Wed, 2002/07/03 - 5:00am

> redhat sucks because it doesn't provide packages.

Doesn't *anybody* here use rpmfind.net??? You can get updated KDE packages there. Refer to my previous post.

Trevor

By Trevor at Wed, 2002/07/03 - 5:00am

I suppose you haven't tried installing those RPMS, Trevor. I'd like to know what sort of difficulties you get from running GCC 3.1-compiled binaries on an otherwise GCC 2.96RH-compiled system. If it actually works, that's a simple solution. However, I have a hunch using rpmfind.net in this case is the fastest possible route to an unusable system.

By ac at Wed, 2002/07/03 - 5:00am

I've done it already. All I know is that it works for me. Refer to my other messages for an explanation of why.

Trevor

By Trevor at Thu, 2002/07/04 - 5:00am

I'a a rawhide user... and kdebase-3.0.2-0.cvs20020627.1.i386.rpm and kdelibs-3.0.2-0.cvs20020625.1.i386.rpm are available for at least a week.... let's see the final 3.0.2

I don't think I'll wait too long...

By Marcos Tolentino at Wed, 2002/07/03 - 5:00am

I *DUMPED* RedHat yesterday. These guys are operating in a "corporate level". I just been to a job interview for computer technician vacancy where they cleared that they don't do work for home users because they're just time consuming and non profit. Companies like that.

I now use Conectiva Linux 8.0
I am a proud brazilian. Also 5 times World Cup champion.

By DBArros at Thu, 2002/07/04 - 5:00am

> I am a proud brazilian. Also 5 times World Cup champion.

You are a soccer professional and played in Japan?

By Anonymous at Thu, 2002/07/04 - 5:00am

>> I am a proud brazilian. Also 5 times World Cup champion.

>You are a soccer professional and played in Japan?

You would never understand what that means...

[]´s
another proud brazilian

By Marcos Tolentino at Thu, 2002/07/04 - 5:00am

> Also 5 times World Cup champion.

Really? I thought that the last few winners were UK, France and Belgium. I don't recall Brazil entering the Tiddilywinks World Cup at all.

Unless you meant a different 'World Cup'.. you should really specify which game.

By Damocles at Thu, 2002/07/04 - 5:00am

Dude, what the hell is Tiddilywinks?

By Carg at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

It involves men in bars wearing skirts and eye contact. I think Mosfet has a page about it.

:-P (And Mosfet is cool by me - I've been doing Rocky Horror for long enough I didn't bat an eye when I saw his pics. Otherwise, that would have been tiddilywinking, I think.)

Oh, and... Alt-F2 and typing gg:tiddilywinks will get you the answer.

Evan

By Evan "JabberWok... at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

> Dude, what the hell is Tiddilywinks?

Players take it in terms to push the edge of one plastic disc onto the edge of another and 'ping' the latter disc into a cup. The winner is the first to ping an agreed number into the cup.

See http://directory.google.com/Top/Games/Hand-Eye_Coordination/Tiddlywinks/... for details.

By Damocles at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

: I am a proud brazilian. Also 5 times World Cup champion.

Y'know, if you're a sports star, you might think about using your name to promote KDE. Even if you just mention it in interviews, it would look good.

Evan "Who is less dense and more ironic here"

By Evan "JabberWok... at Thu, 2002/07/04 - 5:00am

Every single Brazilian in the world are PENTA!

By Carg at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

*YAWN*

By Anonymous at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

I have used redhat since 5.2 days and I have seen it get progressively worse.
My main gripe is there changing of packages and abandoment of others
change is good, yes but why get rid of basics....pine, mc...for a few. KDE is my preference, but redhat kde is no good. I use suse now and do not regret the switch.

By JAS at Fri, 2004/10/29 - 5:00am

The SuSE "SORRY" file is amusing, but which game are they referring to? Wimbledon, I'd guess...

Evan

By Evan "JabberWok... at Wed, 2002/07/03 - 5:00am

They refer to the world champinship soccer final. I would guess yul live in the U.S.A?

By Anony Mouse at Wed, 2002/07/03 - 5:00am

Silly me, I thought it was finished, and Brazil won. Maybe I'm underestimating how long it takes to get these packaged or overestimating how long they have the source before they have to have it done. :)

While I played football when I was a young kid (forward, mostly), I got much more into cricket in my teens, and now I don't really follow any sports.

Evan

By Evan "JabberWok... at Wed, 2002/07/03 - 5:00am

I guess that's the whole point. If you live outside the USA you dont have to follow sports in order to know the football results. If there is a goal you HEAR it (unless you dont have any neighbours). If your countries team or one of the larger ethnic minorities in your country wins, you can see it on the street because of the cars that drive through the streets, blowing their horns and waiving their countries flag out of the window, for at least one day. Just after the final even germanies most staid TV news magazine only reported about the world cup in the first 10 mins of the 15 min show. Heck, after Italy lost even their parliament debated whether they should fire the coach...

By AC at Wed, 2002/07/03 - 5:00am

:: If you live outside the USA

Ahem. Who said I live in the US?

For that matter, I have no idea when the SuperBowl is, or the World Pennant or whatever for baseball, and I lived in Florida, USA for quite a long time. Nor did I ever know the winners, although I did see plenty of people flying flags on their cars and such.

Evan

By Evan "JabberWok... at Wed, 2002/07/03 - 5:00am

People watching around the world:

SuperBowl - 100 million
FIFA World Cup final - almost 2 billion

By Carg at Sun, 2002/07/07 - 5:00am

Or, when your team loses, your car parked outside is doused in gasoline and several maltov (sp) cocktails are thrown on it just for kicks. Or, better yet, if one of your players make a mistake, you hear about the murder in the morning newspaper.

International sports is just that, international. There's always politics involved, it sucks. Oh my god, Americans made it to the 8th place, "Yeah! We'll show them we're good at every sport!" Or, "American sucks!" "Die America!" Blah blah blah blah blah... whatever...

The fact is that we're all on the same boat: Earth. Okay? I'm so sick of all the pain and suffering that goes on, just because of someone's political agenda. Or, worse, to save face from a publically made comment. And don't tell me that China/Asia is solely afflicted with this, it's all over...

Out.

By Bill at Thu, 2002/07/04 - 5:00am

I guess you do to? You do know the game is called football everywhere else, right?

By Rob Kaper at Thu, 2002/07/04 - 5:00am

I notice from the changelog that only arts, kdelibs and kdebase have changes.

Does this mean that I can get away with just upgrading these 3 packages or do I have to download and reload the whole lot again?

By Charles Gauder at Wed, 2002/07/03 - 5:00am

> I notice from the changelog that only arts, kdelibs and kdebase have changes.

Changelog is wrong. Developers are missing discipline to log everything, every package has changes.

> or do I have to download and reload the whole lot again?

Perhaps the same dot reader as usual will create and offer diff files?

By Anonymous at Wed, 2002/07/03 - 5:00am

Simply take the diffs (3.0.1-3.0.2). They are in experimential state, but feel free to try them. http://devel-home.kde.org/~danimo/diffs/.

Cheers,

By Daniel Molkentin at Wed, 2002/07/03 - 5:00am

.. is a unified way for KDE, GNOME (and Wine?) apps to add things to the traybar.
If I run korganizer in GNOME or gnomeicu in KDE, just to make two examples, the traybar-icons doesn't show up in the traybar, or they open in a separate small window..

By Wigren at Wed, 2002/07/03 - 5:00am

We've already discussed an extension to the NET WM spec for exactly this. Expect the problem to disappear RSN.

Rich.

By Richard Moore at Wed, 2002/07/03 - 5:00am

strange, when i used everybuddy it put'd its tray icon just fine in my kde tray..

By kervel at Wed, 2002/07/03 - 5:00am

Waouw, this release is such an improvement over the previous one(3.0.1).

The ksplash crash... disappeared
Noatun... finally working (first time on my machine)
An annoying Ark bug when closing .tar.gz opened via konki... disappeared
Konki... faster when opening a new windows with the middle button
Kghostview crash when PgDowning too fast... disappeared

and this gives the ultimate desktop experience on linux...
1000 TX for all this worK to KDEckers

By Seb at Wed, 2002/07/03 - 5:00am

Yes, kde is great and many bugs are gone.
Now I will wait for 3.0.3 and I hope it fixes the save file in kate over fish/ssh bug :(

halux

By halux at Wed, 2002/07/03 - 5:00am

I can do that with current cvs release, so it seems to be fixed.

beutelin

By beutelin at Wed, 2002/07/03 - 5:00am

What cvs branch are you using. I am using KDE_3_0_BRANCH.
Updated today.

By halux at Wed, 2002/07/03 - 5:00am

Do you mean the error message that says "This file could not be saved. Please check if you have write permission ?" when you attempt to save file using fish ? If so, it has been annoying me as well ; so I will see if I can take care of it.

Dawit A.

By Dawit A. at Wed, 2002/07/03 - 5:00am

Yes, that is the message.
Thank you very much.

have fun
Felix

By halux at Wed, 2002/07/03 - 5:00am

Someone already beat me to it :) It is fixed in the current
development branch for KDE 3.1.

Regards,
Dawit A.

By Dawit A. at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

Cool, it works, thanks.

Will there be a backport ?

have fun
Felix

By hal at Sun, 2002/07/07 - 5:00am

For those that want them, source diffs will shortly be available at http://www.hmallett.co.uk

Hywel Mallett

By Hywel Mallett at Wed, 2002/07/03 - 5:00am

What has happened to the useful htdig search of documentation using the helpcenter?
I seem to remember it was available back in the KDE 2 days.

I find the current help center hard to use. I hate hierarchical menus---especially the default Mandrake ones---as its never clear which category something should be in.

I think one of the best features in kcontrol is the way you can type in keywords to find the relevant options.

Anyway, this isn't a particular criticism - I think KDE3 has been excellent and am looking forward to installing this new release.

By James Marsh at Wed, 2002/07/03 - 5:00am

1'st of all I like KDE, and it's getting better all the time. But, if you are ever gonna beat Microschaft, you must develop a context sensitive help system?

Because dummies like me need it.
It's way too hard to find anything with your current menu system.

People like me need help with simple things like finding files, a simple way to install programs, and having the programs that are installed appear on the menu bar. I struggled to get the program installed, and now I can't find it.

Sure you probably think I'm stupid, but I'm one of thousands or more who want to leave Windows, but I don't have the time to hack my way thru every obstacle that Linux presents.

When you people have a Linux question, (and I know all of you do from time to time,) you just ask the person in the next room or wherever.

But people like me are alone in our quest......
No one to ask.......
And after a weekend of frustration, it's time to give up and go back to Windows again......
This is the 6'th time I have tried to get Linux to work for me...

Can't you see?

Sincerely,
Gene

By Gene A. at Sun, 2003/03/30 - 6:00am

check out:

This guy kindly has compiled and uploaded rpm packages of kde 3.0.2 for redhat.

If you run apt-get (check freshrpms.net if you don't)

just add

rpm http://www.math.unl.edu/linux/redhat/apt 7.2/$(ARCH) kde3

to your sources.list, then apt-get update/upgrade

enjoy! *TONS* of thanks to Rex Dieter!

By john at Thu, 2002/07/04 - 5:00am

I love smart people. They make everything so easy for me.

By ac at Thu, 2002/07/04 - 5:00am

I just installed the RedHat RPMS and they work great! Plus, two of my most hated bugs are gone! (documents saved to the desktop were positioned below the bottom of the screen and dropdown menu arrow click area was way too small)

The only odd thing is that my Keramik theme titlebar now looks more drab than it used to.

Thanks Rex Dieter! I wanna have your babies!

By ac at Thu, 2002/07/04 - 5:00am

You're welcome. (-:

By Rex Dieter at Fri, 2002/07/05 - 5:00am

Many thanks to Rex Dieter for the 3.0.2 binary RPMs from another RedHat user! I was beginning to think that switching to another distribution was the only way of getting the latest KDE made as binaries. I don't have the time to sit waiting while my system wades through compiling megabytes of source code, so binary RPMs are really important. There were some bugs in 3.0.0 like https not working in Konqueror and some cut and paste problems in the kmail editor which were annoying and had me looking out for an update.

By David Herbert at Sat, 2002/07/06 - 5:00am

Dear Rex Dieter,

Thank you very much. it's people like you who make us feel good by helping others. thanks.

By Asif Ali Rizwaan at Wed, 2002/07/10 - 5:00am

Thank you very much from Germany!
Great work!