OCT
2002

KDE 3.1 RC1: Ready for a Short Test Drive

The KDE Project yesterday
announced the release
of KDE 3.1 RC 1. This release, while important, will have but a short lifespan (RC 2 is scheduled for next Monday), and so binary packages are not planned.
A couple of points to consider: First,
if you are wed to the hicolor icons, please note that they have been moved
to the kdeartwork package; the other packages ship only with the new modern
and attractive Crystal-SVG icon theme.
Second, Klipper users who experience slowness or possible crashes in Konsole
or KMail with this release should try disabling the Klipper syncing options,
and then check
the KDE 3.1 Info Page
about reporting results. Please give this release a thorough testing
so KDE 3.1 will be good and ready on schedule! A short but informative
preview of
the much-improved KDE 3.1 is available on the KDE Promo site.

Comments

You might also want to consider longlines-mode (in Emacs 22 or http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/download/longlines.el)

By JanR at Mon, 2007/01/29 - 6:00am

I am still studying Emacs, but they say that "C-s RET C-w" is able to find phrases even if they are separated by newlines.

By Alex at Mon, 2007/03/12 - 5:00am

KDE's text editors all have word wrapping IIRC, so does GNOME 2.0's gedit. And just about any formatted text editor for Unix - KWord, StarOffice, OpenOffice, Mozilla Composer, etc. - has word wrapping.

By Trevor at Wed, 2002/10/30 - 6:00am

The talk is about *soft* word wrapping.

By Anonymous at Thu, 2002/10/31 - 6:00am

Well, I have been informed that the GNOMEs have fixed their soft word wrapping in their 2.x versions. (I don't really like the direction they've taken in the 2.x versions so I don't use it that much, if at all; too MacOS < 10 for me.)

I still haven't had any RC1 users tell me if KDE editors will have this feature yet.

By antiphon at Thu, 2002/10/31 - 6:00am

Will there be Debian packages of the RC? I'd like to test them, but I don't fancy uninstalling all my Debian stuff and compiling all the new stuff.

By Plato at Wed, 2002/10/30 - 6:00am

But I don't think they are official...

By Macolu at Mon, 2002/11/04 - 6:00am

is there any place to find a list of fix being apply to 3.0.9 from 3.0.8 ?

just curious....

thanks

By Mathieu Jobin at Wed, 2002/10/30 - 6:00am

I got an errror message when I compiled the QT3.1.
is there something I missed?

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXft
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [../lib/libqt-mt.so.3.1.0] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/qt-3.1/src'
make: *** [sub-src] Error 2

By ciicii at Wed, 2002/10/30 - 6:00am

Try installing Xft-devel.

By Haakon Nilsen at Wed, 2002/10/30 - 6:00am

That doesn't work either. I am having the same problem and I have Xft-devel installed. I get this same error in Redhat 7.3 :-(. Any help on this?

By Biz at Sat, 2002/11/02 - 6:00am

ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so.1.2 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so

and then, in your qt-copy directory, after you make -f and configure, run:

find . -name Makefile | xargs perl -pi -e 's,-lXft,-lXft -lXft2,'

The linking might be optional, but I'm not about to rebuild qt to find out...

By Red Hat Lover at Mon, 2002/11/04 - 6:00am

...guys for testing this non final version. i wait for debians official packages, but because of you, they will be rock stable!!!

By L1 at Thu, 2002/10/31 - 6:00am

By L1 at Thu, 2002/10/31 - 6:00am

what i forgot: kde is really cool, but i hate one thing: this thousands of little arrows in panel. they are ugly and useless. i got rid of most of them in kcontrol, but this ones where you get this "Move,Remove,Preferences,Panel"-menu are still there. can i comment out some lines in sourcecode to remove them??? please, help ;-)

By L1 at Thu, 2002/10/31 - 6:00am

I absolutely agree with you there. Those little arrows all over the place don't look good.
I know that they are useful in terms of users being able to see that they can move stuff about but they look silly.

There should be a control panel option -> Hide All Arrows.

By Gibler at Thu, 2002/10/31 - 6:00am

This is a trend with the usability people. They seem to think more clutter is a good thing. Same thing applies to repeating the same instructions and text all over the place.

It's *not* a good thing. It's a careful balance.

By ac at Thu, 2002/10/31 - 6:00am

actually, our real goal is to piss off people who post anonymously to web boards.

By Aaron J. Seigo at Thu, 2002/10/31 - 6:00am

Apple, the usability gods, avoid clutter too.

Once you learn something you don't need to read instructions over and over again.

It eventually becomes counter-productive.

By ac at Thu, 2002/10/31 - 6:00am

find, ignore my joke.

second, Apple has shown with OS X that they are no longer "usability gods". they have some good ideas still (and occassionally great ones) but they are far more fallible than they ever have been.

in any case, your "once you learn something" argument falls down at one particular point" you have to learn it first. and that was the entire problem with removing panel applets: people never learned how to do it. they needed help learning (and remembering). they got that help. problem went away.

now we just get to put up with the occasional whine of "i don't like how it looks"

By Aaron J. Seigo at Sun, 2002/11/03 - 6:00am

I wouldn't ignore those whines. I am sure there is some fundamental UI rule that says clutter and redundancy is bad. The whines are just one symptom of violating that rule.

By ac at Mon, 2002/11/04 - 6:00am

Retard! Opening his stupid mouth and fear posting with his real name.

By Timothy Seymour at Thu, 2002/10/31 - 6:00am

this has been taken care of for a while...here's how to make them fade away.

click on one of those little arrows, choose "Panel Menu > Configure Panel..."

click on the "Advanced Options" button at the bottom.

check the "Fade out applet handles" box and then click OK a couple of times.

easy, huh?

By Elliott Martin at Thu, 2002/10/31 - 6:00am

KDE 3.1 has an GUI option to fade out the applet handles. In KDE 3.0 you had to change kickerrc.

By Anonymous at Thu, 2002/10/31 - 6:00am

as others already mentioned, you can fade out the applets via the panel config dialog. hopefully that is satisfactory.

as to why those arrows are there: there were endless reports of problems with removing applets from the panel. people just didn't clue in that you could right click on the applet handle! when the arrows were added, the number of such reports dropped practically to zero. they may annoy a few people, but they can be turned off and that is far better than a good % of users not being able to figure out how to remove applets.

By Aaron J. Seigo at Thu, 2002/10/31 - 6:00am

Ok, but check out bug #49969.

Andras

By Andras Mantia at Thu, 2002/10/31 - 6:00am

i just assigned it to myself. it's a bug in the control panel, not inherent to kicker. now the question is whether it will get fixed for 3.1, or 3.1.1 ... =)

By Aaron J. Seigo at Thu, 2002/10/31 - 6:00am

it is possible to hide the applet-handles, yes, but, why do they still leave a space ?! that's really unfinished.. that should be simple accessed and work similar to WindowsXP's "Fix Taskbar", that is easy accessible by right-klick on the taskbar !!! in KDE you need to open "Kontrolcenter", that's so heavy! really Big Work. hope things like that will be finally equal to "MS Windows", since, there is no copyright on that feature! and it is just logical to change that.
thx

By mononoke at Thu, 2002/10/31 - 6:00am

the patch for this logical change is available where?

By Aaron J. Seigo at Thu, 2002/10/31 - 6:00am

Do it yourself, it's opensource afterall. >:-p

By foo at Fri, 2002/11/01 - 6:00am

you've got it backwards: mononoke wants the feature, s/he should provide the patch. it isn't something high on my priority list (lots of other things are, though). the things that bother(ed) me the most about kicker have mostly been fixed, hopefully we'll get to the remaining annoyances for 3.2.

By Aaron J. Seigo at Sun, 2002/11/03 - 6:00am

With KDE 3.0.4 I can rightclick the panel and choose 'preferences'. Just make sure you click an empty region of the panel.

By Matthijs Sypken... at Thu, 2002/10/31 - 6:00am

i don't know something about the XP way, but in my opinion. i like the applet-handles (especially with keramik), but not the arrows. so this fade out thing should only fade out the arrow, not the hole applet-handle. the empty area is better then a.-h. with arrow, but not perfect. and hey, to discuss about such stupid things shows the high quality of kde 3.x!!!

By L1 at Thu, 2002/10/31 - 6:00am

ok, thank you for all this informations!

By L1 at Thu, 2002/10/31 - 6:00am

In ~/.kde/share/config/kickerrc
in the [General] section
put the following:

FadeOutAppletHandles=true

and the little vertical bars w/ the arrows will be faded in and out, so they're not visible unless you hover over them.

-steve

By donuthole at Thu, 2002/10/31 - 6:00am

Is there some explaination of why a tarball that won't compile was released?

Is this GCC or Qt issue?

I am using GCC 3.2 and Qt 3.1 Beta 2 and I consistently get this error:

khtmlview.cpp: In member function `virtual void KHTMLToolTip::maybeTip(const QPoint&)':
khtmlview.cpp:247: no matching function for call to `KHTMLToolTip::tip(QRect&, QString&, QRect&)'

????

JRT

By James Richard Tyrer at Fri, 2002/11/01 - 6:00am

You need a newer Qt than beta2 - i.e. Qt-copy or a recent rsync snapshot for that function...

By Sad Eagle at Fri, 2002/11/01 - 6:00am

This doesn't appear to be a very good idea to me -- releasing a release candidate that requires an Alpha version of Qt.

In any case, I see nothing here:

to indicate this problem.

Perhaps at least a snapshot known to work would be a good idea.

JRT

By James Richard Tyrer at Fri, 2002/11/01 - 6:00am

> releasing a release candidate that requires an Alpha version of Qt

Alpha? Qt 3.1 already had a Beta2 release and its current state is RC1.

> Perhaps at least a snapshot known to work would be a good idea.

Like ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/kde-3.1-rc1/src/qt-copy-3.1_20021024....?

By Anonymous at Fri, 2002/11/01 - 6:00am

>> releasing a release candidate that requires an Alpha version of Qt

> Alpha? Qt 3.1 already had a Beta2 release and its current state is RC1.

We would all like to think that the development process results in software improving monotonically, but I think that we all know that this is not the case -- regressions DO occur. There can be no assurance that the current snapshot is as stable as the last Beta.

>> Perhaps at least a snapshot known to work would be a good idea.

> Like:

>ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/kde-3.1-rc1/src/qt-copy-3.1_20021024....?

JRT

By James Richard Tyrer at Fri, 2002/11/01 - 6:00am

Uhm ? Sorry, you like to try out KDE 3.1 RC1 (which is also more or less something to test) but you refuse to get and compile QT 3.1 RC1 ? What's wrong with you ?

By Martin Gacksche at Fri, 2002/11/01 - 6:00am

> I checked the TrollTec web site about 10 minutes ago and couldn't find that RC1 to download.

TrollTech doesn't offer release candidates to the public, but makes them available to their friends at KDE. Get current qt-copy and you have Qt Free Edition 3.1 RC2.

> Yes, too bad that that link isn't posted on the 3.1 info page with the 3.0.9 tarballs.

Yes, that could be improved. But this is no normal release, I was even surprised to see the 1 week living release candidate announced so public on the dot.

By Anonymous at Fri, 2002/11/01 - 6:00am

Well, latest RC2 seems to have stabilized my combination of KDE-3.1pre, Qt-3.1pre,Xfree, Freetype. Compilation on a gcc3.2+glibc2.3.1 system was without problems. Now it looks better. Hey, I can even launch kcalc again! :-))

Bye

Thorsten

By Thorsten Schnebeck at Sun, 2002/11/03 - 6:00am

Actually, that's a pretty good idea, since Qt 3.1 beta 2 had some serious bugs for KDE. I don't think you would be able to do any meaningful testing for the RC since there are some more visible bugs in that Qt version. As for this method the error was about: IIRC, that was added by request of KHTML hackers, so fix some bugs with tooltips in webpages.

And, BTW, qt-copy is generally what is known to work with KDE well -- since if anyting is broken, patches are typically applied to fix it. And this is why, in fact, Qt snapshots are used like this -- so Qt bugs affecting KDE, if any, can be found and fixed before a Qt release happens.

By Sad Eagle at Fri, 2002/11/01 - 6:00am

After compiling and installing: kdeartwork, I found that I still had icon trouble.

Did anyone consider backward compatibility??

It seems that: "hicolor" is now called: "kdeclasic" and "lowcolor" is now called "Lowcolor".

So KDE can't find my icons. :-(

So, I know, just rename the directories. I already did that.

BUT, applications that install icons in a directory other than the application's are going to be looking for: "hicolor" & "locolor". So, links are necessary. But, not only for the global directory, but for all of the user: $HOME/.kde/share/icons/" directories as well.

My suggestion is to change it back immediately before the problem spreads.

JRT

By James Richard Tyrer at Sat, 2002/11/02 - 6:00am

Some icon problems have been addressed after RC1, for rest http://devel-home.kde.org/~larrosa/iconthemes.html may help understanding.

By Anonymous at Sat, 2002/11/02 - 6:00am

OK. So, the global icons are not a problem.

HOWEVER, there is a serious bug here.

The icon loader did NOT find: "#HOME/.kde/share/icons/hicolor/" which is were OpenOffice (for one) installs its icons, and I presume that any locally installed application should install its icons.

Has this been fixed?

JRT

By James Richard Tyrer at Sat, 2002/11/02 - 6:00am

OpenOffice icons display fine here with CVS and either Crystal or KDE Classic themes.

By Anonymous at Sun, 2002/11/03 - 6:00am

most annoying bug of kde is fixed! now you can wheelscroll in konquer without having to worry about comboboxes on pages!! It was really annoying on sites like slashdot.

By montz at Sun, 2002/11/03 - 6:00am

I liked this *feature*. Agreed, implementation was bad. It should have better be changed to work only when one presses e.g. Ctrl instead of turning it off completely.

By Anonymous at Sun, 2002/11/03 - 6:00am