The KOffice developers have been making outstanding progress towards their goal of creating a useful, powerful and reliable KDE office suite. But whereas the technology
in KOffice has been steadily improving, its visual appearance has not been keeping pace. To address this issue, the KOffice development team is pleased to announce the KOffice Icon Contest. This contest is being held to ensure that KOffice 1.3 not only works better but also looks better than any previous release.
Aim of the KOffice Icon Contest
One of the goals of KOffice 1.3 is to deliver an improved user interface that compliments the progress being made by the KOffice developers in the code. Icons and related artwork are a vital part of that interface improvement.
Entering The Contest
The KOffice Icon Contest is open to everyone. All submissions from individuals or teams of artists that meet the guidelines for the contest are welcome.
- A single screenshot showing all of the icons in the submission. The individual icons in the screenshot should be either 22x22 or 32x32 pixels in size.
- An FTP or Web URL from which the icons can be downloaded. Please do not email the icons themselves!
The icons should be provided in a single compressed archive containing icons for each of the following KOffice applications:
- KOShell (Koffice work area)
- KWord (Word processor)
- KSpread (Spreadsheet)
- KPresenter (Presentation program)
- Krita (Bitmap graphic editor)
- Karbon14 (Vector graphic (SVG) editor)
- KFormula (Mathematical formula editor)
- Kugar & Kugar Designer (Report creator)
- Kivio (Flow chart and diagram editor)
The icons for each application should include:
- an application icon which will appear in the KMenu and elsewhere
- toolbar and menu icons
- icons for use in dialogs such as the new document and configuration dialogs
All icons must be supplied in both 22x22 and 32x32 sizes. The application icons must also be supplied in 48x48, 64x64 and 128x128 sizes. The preferred icon format is SVG though PNG is also acceptable. The preferred icon style is Crystal SVG.
Artists should use KOffice 1.2.1 or later (e.g. KOffice from CVS) in creating their submissions. You may further wish to review the old KDE Icon Style Guide although portions of it have now been obsoleted with the adoption of Crystal SVG.
Licensing of Submissions
Just as with the official KDE icons, all icons submitted to the contest must be licensed under the LGPL. All submitted icons must also belong to the artist(s) who submit them. Icons belonging any other 3rd party will not be accepted.
The KOffice Icon Contest will be open for submissions for two (2) months starting February 20, 2003. At the end of those two months all of the submissions will be examined by KOffice developers and users and the winning submission will be announced by the KOffice development team a week later.
The award for winning the KOffice Icon Contest is to have your icons distributed along with KOffice as its official icons and an acknowledgement of contribution in all of the KOffice programs.