The KDE Web Team would like to announce a competition to design a new logo for the KDE.org website. The prize for the competition is the honour and satisfaction of having your work displayed on KDE.org and its subdomains, with full credit given for each use of the image. The competition will run over the course of a month and closes on April 30th, 2003. Artists are further encouraged to contribute other artwork they feel would improve the look of the website such as icons for the various sidebar sections (namely: Inform, Download, Communicate, Develop, Explore, Search, Hotspot and KDE Family). (Updated)
The requirements for the logo competition are as follows:
- The logo should contain a variation of the KDE gear (such as kdelogo_svg.png or official.gif).
- The text of the logo should be limited to "K Desktop Environment" or "KDE" as it is envisioned the image will be used on sites with languages other than English.
- The logo should be no more than 400 by 80 pixels in size and be in PNG format.
- Ideally, the logo should be easily modifiable in order to accommodate the various KDE.org subdomains (such as the Usability and PIM sites). Therefore, it is a requirement that the source file be available -- preferably in The Gimp's XCF format although Photoshop's PSD format is also acceptable. Any fonts used for the image will need to be made available.
- All images will need to be licensed under one of the following licenses: GNU General Public License, GNU Free Documentation License, The Design Science License or The Free Art License as detailed here.
To enter the competition, simply email your image in PNG format (under 40kb please) to [email protected].
Once the competition has closed, the KDE Web Team will review all entries and make a shortlist of the best entries received. The authors of the chosen entries will then be asked to provide the source image file and fonts used for their design. A public poll consisting of the chosen entries will then be run over the course of 2 weeks and the winner will be announced here and notified by email!
If you have any further queries about the competition please email [email protected].