OCT
2004

LinuxReviews.org: Interview with Jaroslaw Staniek on KDElibs/win32

LinuxReviews.org had an interview with Jaroslaw Staniek. Jaroslaw works on making KDE applications running on MS Windows without X11 and CygWin and also contributes to Kexi.

Comments

Being able to work without x11/cygwin really makes this project cool.
I however must say that the programs look to kdeish for windows.
Not that I dislike the kde look. it's just that it is out of place.

By Mark Hannessen at Sun, 2004/10/31 - 5:00am

I took a look again at kexi and just started to understand the coolness of having it on windows. This might be the first truely cross platform "MS Access" replacement.

By Mark Hannessen at Sun, 2004/10/31 - 5:00am

Having Kexi on windows are probably cool on its own merits, but it's not the first truly cross platform "MS Access" replacement this title I would without doubt give to Rekall. An it has already been available for several years. It's proprietary on windows but the Linux version is GPL (not sure what the Mac version are).Looks like it starts to get included by distros now. It's in Contrib for MDK10.1.

By Morty at Sun, 2004/10/31 - 5:00am

I tried Rekall once, and found it to be a terrible application. I had really expected much more from a program which was sold commercially for some time already. It was awkward to use: I remember that moving or resizing a form component was completely uninituitive and different from other similar applications. Also creating subforms was difficult, while I think this should be one of the most important features which should be simple to use, even by newbies. I also had the impression that the development of kexi was a lot more active than that of Rekall. So I have much more high hopes for Kexi which will be part of KOffice 1.4.

By Anonymous Coward at Sun, 2004/10/31 - 5:00am

In what way. It does point, click'n'drag?

By mikeTA at Mon, 2004/11/01 - 6:00am

How ironic considering that KDE is still often called a Windows clone.

By irony at Sun, 2004/10/31 - 5:00am

Hope we can have kdegames on Windows soon then :)

By Stentapp at Mon, 2004/11/01 - 6:00am

I'm currently testing Kolab, and when I read this I help thinking about Kontact. This would really be a fine application for windows. You could use the same outlook replacement throughout the organisation.

By Debian at Mon, 2004/11/01 - 6:00am

This was really great reading! The more different ways we make OSS visible to the end users the better :-D

It is especially nice to see that a country like Poland, which has traditionally "lagged a little behind" on the technical front, attacks the "Micros~1 Entrapment Syndrome" from the bottom-up.. If Polish companies continues this trend in general, they will face a lot less problems when the time is right for "the full flip-over". My guess is that in time it will give Poland what it really deserves: A good headstart on both the technical and financial level, which could become a much needed case-study for many "old west european" companies.

Keep Hacking Guys(TM)... (Then i'll keep beta-testing)

/me goes grab kexi4win32

ta-ta

-Macavity

By Macavity at Mon, 2004/11/01 - 6:00am

I thought it was a shame that the article didn't mention the work done in the http://kde-cygwin.sf.net/ project on porting GPL Qt libs to native Win32.

Jaroslaw simply said that he didn't think it was a good idea without mentioning that there is already work in progress towards this end.

See the qt3-win32 page at http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/qt3-win32/ for the details. Significant progress has been made... This compiles on cygwin but also MinGW and MSVC++

By David Fraser at Tue, 2004/11/02 - 6:00am

The article is not a "KDE-on-windows Survey". Btw, I'm in good relations with kde-cygwin hackers, since their work is related to qt3-win32.

By Jaroslaw Stanie... at Tue, 2004/11/02 - 6:00am

I'm wondering if Krusader can run native on Windows without X11 and CygWin,
i don't know if Krusader even runs with X11 and CygWin on Windows.
To be clear i prefer Linux, but on my job there is only Windows (:
And some Krusader users has asked for a Windows port in the past.
Recently we ported Krusader 1.40 to MAC OS X with kdelibs (3.1.4) / fink.sourceforge.net
A MAX OS X port of Krusader 1.50 with kdelibs 3.2 is planned.

btw. i'm writing the documenatation for Krusader

Regards,

Frank Schoolmeesters

By Frank Schoolmeesters at Wed, 2004/11/10 - 6:00am

There is no Krusader for Windows, or at least not for now. Total Commander, however, is very similar to Krusader. Its homepage is here: http://www.ghisler.com.

By Mark at Sun, 2007/01/14 - 6:00am