People Behind KDE: Christoph Cullmann

This man maintains KDE's text editor Kate and the associated KTextEditor interface. He also keeps three cats and disappears from his girlfriend for a week each year in the name of KDE. The star of tonight's People Behind KDE interview is Christoph Cullmann.

We'd be shocked if the reply was "Emacs" :-)

Great interview, Christoph. Now, can you share with us your secret of super-fast-porting-Kate-to-KDE4? It'll sure help in kdelibs.

By Thiago Macieira at Mon, 2005/11/21 - 6:00am

I would just love to have emacs embedded in kdevelop. I guess this should be possible after kdevelop has been ported to Qt4.

By Swoosh at Mon, 2005/11/21 - 6:00am

After kdevelop has been ported to emacs you mean ? :p

By Narishma at Mon, 2005/11/21 - 6:00am

Well, I guess one can argue how serious my comment was. I just got a bit inspired by this:

Unfortunately the screenshot showing the stuff in action seems to be gone...

By Swoosh at Mon, 2005/11/21 - 6:00am

I just hope that some day Kate will have decent Emacs profile which will include emacs-like identation and most of the magical key bindings.

By Petteri at Tue, 2005/11/22 - 6:00am

Kate is just a nice piece of software. Thanks!

By Ian Monroe at Mon, 2005/11/21 - 6:00am

Lovely interview. Christoph, in case you read this: thanks a bundle for Kate. It is my favourite text editor. I even install the KDE libraries when I work under a GNOME environment just so I can use it. ^_^

I'll remember to say hi next time I re-visit Germany again. Ich bin von Mainz.

Cheers and kudos.

By Pascal Klein at Mon, 2005/11/21 - 6:00am

Kate is great (rhyme intended). Keep up the great work!

By Roy Schestowitz at Mon, 2005/11/21 - 6:00am

The Bouncing Souls already knew this before - and that was back in 1997!

By Phase II at Mon, 2005/11/21 - 6:00am

Completely agree - KHTML is really underrated. Only KJS could be faster.

By m. at Mon, 2005/11/21 - 6:00am

khtml rocks the house

I agree about kjs, see here:

By ac at Mon, 2005/11/21 - 6:00am

There are slow pages for almost all browsers. makes my Konqueror unusable.

By testerus at Tue, 2005/11/22 - 6:00am

Did anyone else experience yesterday that the dot == ark linux?

I typed in and and the page at showed up. I was like, whoa :)

Good to see it back.

By Sam Weber at Mon, 2005/11/21 - 6:00am

Yeah, KDE Dot seemed to be down for a while, and then just before it seemed to be working again I got the same thing as you! It was rather confusing :S

By Jack H at Mon, 2005/11/21 - 6:00am

The dot is hosted by Ark Linux (again).
Throw in a downtime, a configuration error and someone with his fingers glued onto the refresh button and you get this..! ;-)

By Phase II at Mon, 2005/11/21 - 6:00am

I am a writer by trade and passion, and Kate is the best thing out there. When on a Mac, I can abide using TextEdit, so long as I switch it to plain-text mode, and even then it's only fine because the place I end up using Macs at has enormous monitors and I can have three windows open side-by-side.

On Windows, I have no options. Wordpad in text-only mode is acceptable, but has problems, and has no support for multiple files (and most Windows machines don't have the same cinema display monitors as the Macs). Notepad is a joke, and Word trys to fix my spelling!

All GNOME gives me is Gedit, which is only a couple steps ahead of Notepad, and if I try something like Abiword it has the lesser issues of MS-Word: thinking it should have page-borders and formatting and options.

In Kate, I can easily keep open all ten-to-fifteen things I'm working on 24-hours-a-day seven-days-a-week and it's always responsive and easy to use. It's just the flat-out best text editor around (well, vim gives some competition, but only for some specific tasks).

And again,
Thanks for Kate, it defines my workflow.

By jameth at Tue, 2005/11/22 - 6:00am

Also, I just added my vote and comments to bug 65740, the only issue I have with Kate. That is: please add an option to get a word-count for the selected text. Right now, I need to use a console and wc. Hopefully that can get added to improve an already great application.

By jameth at Tue, 2005/11/22 - 6:00am