FEB
1
2006

K Desktop Environment 3.5.1 Released

KDE 3.5.1 was released today, featuring fixes to over 150 reported bugs and many other small improvements making this the most stable and feature-rich Unix desktop ever. Konqueror, KMail, KPDF, Juk, Kopete, Kalzium and Quanta in particular saw a large number of improvements in stability and performance. Users are encouraged to upgrade when their distributor releases packages. There are updated packages available for Arch Linux, Gentoo, Kubuntu, Red Hat and Slackware or you can compile it yourself with Konstruct. See the 3.5.1 Release Announcement for full details and the Changelog for a full list of updates.

Comments

you could try updating kubuntu-desktop or another kde metapackage that depends on everything KDE has to offer. Maybe you need to do it from the command line.


By bsander at Wed, 2006/02/01 - 6:00am

Hi,

simply add the repository to your /etc/apt/sources.list and type:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

It will install your newly added KDE. If you want only KDE and NOTHING else, you could comment the rest of the sources out and then enter above commands, I guess, but why would you do that?


By Stephan at Wed, 2006/02/01 - 6:00am

At least in Debian, there is (IIRC) a kde meta package.


By cl at Wed, 2006/02/01 - 6:00am

adfdsfasdf


By Martin at Fri, 2006/02/03 - 6:00am

You need to enable the 'universe' repository in /etc/apt/sources.list, then the package tree won't break and KDE will upgrade.


By Gjermund Stensrud at Fri, 2006/03/24 - 6:00am

SuSE are usually one of the first with packages. Not good.


By Jon Scobie at Wed, 2006/02/01 - 6:00am

Take a look at the README in the SuSe directory on ftp.
They are having trouble with the package builder server because of the next release of OpenSuse (provally it's very high CPU/Mem Usage or crashed). But they made packages for Koffice 1.5 beta 1 :)


By Iuri Fiedoruk at Wed, 2006/02/01 - 6:00am

You should reread the README: there are no problems with the next release of SUSE Linux, crashes or CPU/memory usage problems. The only problem is building packages for "supplementary" which is an overlay over older released distributions.


By binner at Wed, 2006/02/01 - 6:00am

Yeah, but now that Mantel has left the building i'm not so sure anymore.


By Anonymous Coward at Wed, 2006/02/01 - 6:00am

I didn't read until the finish, but - and sorry for my poor english - my idea was that due to other packages being prepared, there wasn't enought machine power to build the 3.5.1 rpms. Sure, as the server is building the rpms for next opensuse, they won't load it with kde packages also ;)

That's what I tryied, and shamelfull failed, to say, sorry :)


By Iuri Fiedoruk at Thu, 2006/02/02 - 6:00am

> Sure, as the server is building the rpms for next opensuse, they won't load it with kde packages also ;)

You're still failing to understand, the load is not the problem.


By binner at Thu, 2006/02/02 - 6:00am

Wake up guys, SuSE is DEAD!

Read following if you are not informed:

1. http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/11/05/1620206

2. http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27580

3. http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/11/09/1935253

Once the CSA (Chief Software Architect) is resigned, it's a dead man walking.

Btw. watch out Tomahawk Desktop (http://www.tomahawkcomputers.com/). It is rumored they are waiting KDE 3.5.1 is officially released to release a much improved desktop.


By DistroWatch at Thu, 2006/02/02 - 6:00am

Mantel was not the Chief Software Architect, not even an architect at all. And your other links are obsolete too: http://www.novell.com/prblogs/index.php?title=kde_and_gnome&more=1&c=1&t...


By Anonymous at Thu, 2006/02/02 - 6:00am

No, they are not obsolete. Link you posted is just Novell PR department trying to hide the fact that when it comes to KDE, SUSE is dead.

But can't blame them, really. Middleware control is everything, and this time it looks like giving too much control over the middleware to single instance (TT) is finally hurting KDE. Strategic blow-up on KDEs part..


By Anonymous Coward at Thu, 2006/02/02 - 6:00am

it's dangerous to confuse excuses for reasons, which is what you're doing here.

TT's relationship to Qt may be one of the excuses in play (there are others i've heard) but it's not even close to the reason for how things are playing out within Novell.


By Aaron J. Seigo at Thu, 2006/02/02 - 6:00am

> it's dangerous to confuse excuses for reasons, which is what you're doing here.

For some part maybe, but I'm watching this from within a huge corporation that is using Linux left and right (and its gaining ground every day, big time). Currently (almost) all roads lead to G, mostly thanks to KDE not being considered 'free' desktop due to TTs control of it.


By Anonymous Coward at Thu, 2006/02/02 - 6:00am

Currently (almost) all roads lead to G, mostly thanks to KDE not being considered 'free' desktop due to TTs control of it.

Sure, megacorps like the one you probably work for can't stand it when they can't lock in their users through proprietary software and draconian DRM schemes.

KDE is more free than gnome because KDE is GPL and it ensures that users have the source code to make changes as they see fit. This prevents draconian DRM schemes that the backers of gnome (read: megacorps) want to use to subjugate their clientel. Any developer who works on GNOME is a fool because they are only making the problem worse by refusing to stand up to the megacorps and start licensing their programs (including libraries) as GPL.


By Anonymous at Fri, 2006/02/03 - 6:00am

> KDE is more free than gnome because KDE is GPL

GPL being one thing. Plus, KDE is quality code (due to Qt perhaps) that does not require you to invest eons of money to debug it to be able to use it. That's what I call free, so I agree 100%.

But there's nothing that will make the upper management to understand this. Bugs in the software are not their problem, they can get fixed with money. Control is everything.


By Anonymous Coward at Fri, 2006/02/03 - 6:00am

"For some part maybe, but I'm watching this from within a huge corporation that is using Linux left and right (and its gaining ground every day, big time). Currently (almost) all roads lead to G, mostly thanks to KDE not being considered 'free' desktop due to TTs control of it."

Ah, yet another mythical person working inside another mythical corporation using Gnome ;-). You do realise that none of these companies care about Trolltech's relationship with KDE like you do. If that were the case they'd all be ditching Windows right, left and centre.


By segedunum at Sat, 2006/02/04 - 6:00am

> Link you posted is just Novell PR department trying to hide the fact that when it comes to KDE, SUSE is dead.

You're wrong. The same amount of coders are working on KDE at SUSE than before and the full desktop continues to be shipped as supported option than before.


By binner at Thu, 2006/02/02 - 6:00am

Hope so. However, I have my doubts. Microsoft is still shipping SFU (Services For Unix) as well.


By Anonymous Coward at Thu, 2006/02/02 - 6:00am

If it is free (GPL) you have control, isn´t that the whole point with GPL?


By reihal at Fri, 2006/02/03 - 6:00am

> giving too much control over the middleware to single instance (TT) is finally hurting KDE

You must mean giving control to the OS community, since it's all GPL.


By KDE User at Fri, 2006/02/03 - 6:00am

It may be obsolete but for the first time, no KDE binaries from SuSE. That's a fact. SuSE can come with some bullshit execuse but action speaks loud.

Sometimes big companies use some companies as front companies to buy other companies to slowly kill the competition.


By Anonymous Coward at Fri, 2006/02/03 - 6:00am

You can't say it is dead when the beta2 of SUSE Linux 10.1 ( of last week) already had KDE 3.5.1 (although beta)!!! And you can see it again on the beta3 released today.


By Hugo Costelha at Thu, 2006/02/02 - 6:00am

Yes, it will ship with SuSE 10.1 but will it be maintained? when KDE 3.5.2 comes out, will they have RPM packages ready for it? That is looking pretty doubtfull at this point.

Novell has decided to not include KDE as the default desktop in favor of a lesser product, is this what we can expect from Novell? Lesser products from now on with respect to SuSE?


By Just User at Fri, 2006/02/03 - 6:00am

> Yes, it will ship with SuSE 10.1 but will it be maintained?

Of course will SUSE support its products for the promised length of time.

> when KDE 3.5.2 comes out, will they have RPM packages ready for it?

There will be unsupported 10.1 rpms in "supplementary" YaST source as usual.
Maybe not as "0-day warez" but when developers have free time for it.


By binner at Sat, 2006/02/04 - 6:00am

really poor, better shouldn't merge with novell!


By anonymous suse user at Sat, 2006/02/04 - 6:00am

There are now SuSE packages available on ftp.kde.org!


By Anonymous at Mon, 2006/02/06 - 6:00am

Awesome DuDE!!! Thanx for the Tip...


By Just User at Tue, 2006/02/07 - 6:00am

Ah, the perfect birthday present. Thanks guys! :-P


By Marcos Dione at Wed, 2006/02/01 - 6:00am

Commit-digest, I miss you :,-(


By Shift at Wed, 2006/02/01 - 6:00am

So do I. It was my best newspaper :) on the net. Where are you Derek? Do you hear us? :((


By thelightning at Wed, 2006/02/01 - 6:00am

ftp://ftp.frugalware.org/pub/frugalware/frugalware-current/source/kde/qt/

will qt perform better with visibility patch as most gentoo users boast of :)


By aqueel ahmed at Thu, 2006/02/02 - 6:00am

Gentoo's Qt doesn't have the visibility patch. There is an overlay with a tweaked Qt (qt-copy with some USE options to enable/disable different patches including visibility support), from what I've read it provides a nice speed boost, though you have to recompile all of KDE if you want full visibility=hidden enabled.


By Corbin at Thu, 2006/02/02 - 6:00am

I just wanted to say thank you to the developers :). I really, really appreciate your work. Your thankless toiling on KDE makes my computer-use that much more pleasant and productive.

Thank you, and I really mean it :).


By Janne at Thu, 2006/02/02 - 6:00am

It's a shame that file transfers is totally broken in kopete.....


By j.n. at Sun, 2006/02/05 - 6:00am

perhaps its no FUN to reengineer some ever changing Protocol ?

Please use something where the Specs are open, and its documented how it works.

You cant blame Kopete on this, please blame MS


By chris at Sun, 2006/02/05 - 6:00am

Thanks to all the developers!


By Michael G. Richard at Wed, 2006/02/08 - 6:00am

Most of the 3.5.1 mirrors listed on kubuntu.org seems to only have 3.5.0 packages. What worked for me was:

deb http://kubuntu.org/packages/kde351/ breezy main


By Haakon Nilsen at Sun, 2006/02/19 - 6:00am

Pages