Tuesday, 24 February 2015.
Today KDE releases a bugfix update to Plasma 5, versioned 5.2.1. Plasma 5.2 was released in January with many feature refinements and new modules to complete the desktop experience.
This release adds a month's worth of new translations and fixes from KDE's contributors. The bugfixes are typically small but important and include:
- Don't turn off the screen or suspend the computer when watching videos in a web browser
- Fix Powerdevil from using full CPU
- Show the correct prompt for a fingerprint reader swipe
- Show correct connection name in Plasma Network Manager
- Remove kdelibs4support code in many modules
- Fix crash when switching to/from Breeze widget style
- In KScreen fix crash when multiple EDID requests for the same output are enqueued
- In KScreen fix visual representation of output rotation
- In Oxygen style improved rendering of checkbox menu item's contrast pixel, especially when selected using Strong highlight.
- In Plasma Desktop improve rubber band feel and consistency with Dolphin.
- In Plasma Desktop use smooth transformation for scaling down the user picture
- When setting color scheme information for KDElibs 4, don't read from KF5 kdeglobals
- Baloo KCM: Show proper icons (porting bug)
The easiest way to try it out is the with a live image booted off a USB disk. Images with Plasma 5.2 are available from Kubuntu development daily builds.
Distributions have created, or are in the process of creating, packages listed on our wiki page.
You can install Plasma 5 directly from source. KDE's
community wiki has instructions to compile it. Note that Plasma 5 does not co-install with Plasma 4, you will need to uninstall older versions or install into a separate prefix.
Discuss Plasma 5 on the KDE Forums Plasma 5 board.
Your feedback is greatly appreciated.