The Scribus Team is pleased to announce the release of Scribus 1.2 - Open
Source Desktop Publishing. The 1.2 release codenamed "aKademy" is the culmination of over 1 year
of hard work since last year's 1.0 release. The Scribus team urges all users
and distros to use this latest release.
The Scribus Team is also proud to announce the first commercial
implementation of Scribus for commercial newspaper production. Last month,
the premier issue of Twin Tier Times, a US weekly newspaper was launched
using a production workflow centered on Scribus and other Open Source
applications including GIMP 2.0, Inkscape and others.
Among the major changes and features in 1.2 since the release of Version 1.0:
- A new EPS/PS importer, which can import EPS and PS files as vector or
postscript outlines, which can then be edited as native Scribus objects.
- A dedicated documentation site, http://docs.scribus.net has been
implemented. There are French and German translations in progress.
- Over 800 bug reports and user feature requests have been squashed.
- Scribus now features a New from/ Save as Template plug-in, which enables
end users to quickly generate preformatted documents. This is useful for both
first time users, as well as experts.
- The Scribus GUI is now translated into 27 languages.
- Scribus 1.2 features new print previewer which has the ability to render
CMYK separations on screen, transparency, UCR (Under Color Removal) to give
users a true postscript generated preview of the page.
- A new table feature to create basic tables within Scribus.
- Many enhancements to text frames including multi-columned text, baseline
grids, new contour options, tabs and drop caps.
- Several new plug-ins for exporting documents as images, as well as
special typography plug-ins for Czech, French and other languages.
Scribus was chosen by Trolltech as one of their "Cool Applications". We on
the Scribus Team are honored to be recognized as such and appreciate the
Bookmark/Search this post with