JAN
2004

KDE 3.2 Reaches Final Stage: Announcing Release Candidate 1

After over a year of development we're ready to announce the release of the first (and hopefully last) release candidate for KDE 3.2.0. Get it from download.kde.org or use Konstruct if you don't feel like calling configure by yourself. Due to the time constraints, don't expect distribution binaries, but they may pop up at download.kde.org URL too.

Comments

startkde: Starting up...
ksplash: relocation error: /usr/lib/libkdeui.so.4: undefined symbol: _ZN9QGroupBox10setEnabledEb
kdeinit: relocation error: /usr/lib/libDCOP.so.4: undefined symbol: _ZN6QGList5eraseEP6QLNode
startkde: Could not start kdeinit. Check your installation.
Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
ksmserver: relocation error: /usr/lib/libkdeui.so.4: undefined symbol: _ZN9QGroupBox10setEnabledEb
startkde: Shutting down...
Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
Error: Can't contact kdeinit!
startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
startkde: Done.

By Iskren Stoynov at Sat, 2004/01/31 - 6:00am

could you give more info about your environment?

I had a very similar problem with my gentoo box where i had a complete cvs install (from iamlarryboy's builds) and a partial 3.2_rc1 install (emerged), and I got the errors you described when some apps tried to use /usr/kde/cvs/lib/* instead of /usr/kde/3.2/lib/*, despite me having all the environment variables set correctly :/

however, doing a "chmod 000 /usr/kde/cvs" forced the use of the 3.2 libs, and everything's been fine since.

By another ac at Sun, 2004/02/01 - 6:00am

I'm using Fedora Core 1.I installed KDE from rpm's built for Fedora.

By Iskren Stoyanov at Sun, 2004/02/01 - 6:00am

I have the same problem!!
Couldn't start KDE.

The message is:
startkde: Could not start kdeinit. Check your installation.

I'm using RH 9.0 and update KDE from rpm's

Someone knows howto fix it?

By vaLar at Sat, 2004/04/10 - 5:00am

Same Problem:

Installed RPM's for KDE 3.2.2 Fedora Core 1.

Now KDE won't run.

Any ideas?

By LB at Thu, 2004/04/22 - 5:00am

I have the same problem. Downloaded rpms from kde.org for Fedora (KDE 3.2.2). Installed them using

rpm -Fvh *.rpm

Everything went fine, but I get the kdeinit error

ksplash relocation error /usr/lib/libkdeui.so.4

By Ken Y. at Thu, 2004/04/22 - 5:00am

yeah erm iam getting the same problem with slackware 9.1
kdeinit: relocation error: /opt/kde/lib/libkdeui.so.4: undefined symbol: _ZN9QComboBox4hideEv

By renay at Tue, 2004/04/27 - 5:00am

do the following commands(change paths):
QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-3.3
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export QTDIR LD_LIBRARY_PATH

By Iskren Stoyanov at Tue, 2004/04/27 - 5:00am

Well,

I went into the 3.2.1 directory and noticed that qt 3.3.1 was included in that build, but it wasn't included in 3.2.2. My guess is that if you didn't install 3.2.1 first, you would have these problems. I am going to download the qt and install them with the kde packages on a fresh install of fedora. I will let you all know what I find out. If it works, then i know what my problem was. In my case I was upgrading 3.1 to 3.2.2 and my qt was probably out of date as 3.2 requires at least qt 3.2.3.

Ken

By Ken Y. at Fri, 2004/04/23 - 5:00am

All,

That worked. You need to get the three qt rpms from 3.2.1 and install them first before upgrading to kde 3.2.2. You may be able to fix your problem by just installing those three packages using the following command.

sudo rpm -Uvh qt*.rpm --force --nodeps

Then install the kde rpms

Ken

By Ken Y. at Fri, 2004/04/23 - 5:00am

Ken,
I did exactly what you said and it straightened right out. Thanks a million!
Karl

By Karl at Thu, 2004/05/13 - 5:00am

Karl,

Glad it worked for you. I notified KDE, but they didn't seem to care much. Take care.

Ken

By Ken Y. at Thu, 2004/05/13 - 5:00am

This is very old by now but I need to give my contribution...
There are new dependencies in the KDE directory on linuxpackages... there are 2 new packs... they are libidn-0.5.12-i486-1pcx.tgz and libmusicbrainz-2.1.1-i486-1pcx ...
They solve everything :D
Good luck to all you guys.

By Estêvão Soares at Thu, 2005/03/03 - 6:00am

hey!
I've installed Slackware 10.2 on my notebook and I've chosen KDE 3.4.1 to install. Everything was great until the moment when I typed "startx" into the console.
KDE schowed the window with information
code:

xsetroot: unable to open display ''
kde-config: error while loading shared libraries: libidn.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(...)
kreadconfig: error while loading shared libraries: libidn.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
ksplash: error while loading shared libraries: libidn.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
kdeinit: error while loading shared libraries: libidn.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(...)

Warring: connect() failed: No such file or directory
Error: Can't find kdeinit!
/opt/kde/bin/startkde: line 251: artsshell: command not found
startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
startkde: Done.

And then KDE shuted down. And I don't know what to do?;/ Is there anybody who can help me?...

By coyot at Wed, 2005/11/02 - 6:00am

yep i had the same problem pretty annoying! i've installed the recommended full install of slackware 10.2 and KDE is missing stuff plus it complains that i have glibc-2.3.2 and not 2.3.4
first i've downloaded libidn-0.6.3 compiled and installed it, that didnt help so much though..
so i've compiled and installed kdelibs-3.5.3 package it took like five hours but it solved it..
uff!

what can i say KDE is worth the effort :)
i love the fuzzy klock: quarter to two

have fun!

By toudi at Thu, 2006/06/08 - 5:00am

In the download mirrors I'm only finding 3.1.x versions...where is 3.2?

By Sean O'Dell at Sun, 2004/02/01 - 6:00am

Read the story, it talks about a release candidate and has the links you asks for.

By Anonymous at Sun, 2004/02/01 - 6:00am

The story above? I did read it and click those links. I found mirrors that hosted files named kde*.3.1.95 and so on. I must be confused on something...3.2 is out in RC1 form, right? Do not all the mirrors have the 3.2 release perhaps? Are they up in a parent directory somewhere? I couldn't find any kde*3.2-type files anywhere, and I spent a goodly amount of time browsing around.

By Sean O'Dell at Sun, 2004/02/01 - 6:00am

KDE 3.1.95 is the release candidate. That's the reason why all "KDE 3.2 RC" links point to the 3.1.95 directory.

By Anonymous at Sun, 2004/02/01 - 6:00am

Okay...

Wouldn't 3.2-rc1 have been a better name for the 3.2 RC1 release?

"All the KDE 3.2 RC links?" What other links?

By Sean O'Dell at Sun, 2004/02/01 - 6:00am

hello,
is for the kde 3.2rc1 a German language package avaible?

bye

By mj at Sun, 2004/02/01 - 6:00am

Yes. But why not just wait two days until 3.2?

By Anonymous at Sun, 2004/02/01 - 6:00am

hmm, yes, ok ill wait then for the release - thanks :-)

cu

By mj at Sun, 2004/02/01 - 6:00am

The best editor for linux, maybe only quanta is better but both have some problems

quanta needs a lot of time to jump form a file to another ( tab ), and sometimes when you have more file ( like 20-30 ) its happening the scroll buttons <-- --> to get misteriously deactivated.

kate ... any chance to be there an autocomple code or smth like this ? very usefull for lazy ppl :)

regards.