JUN
2007

KOffice 1.6.3 Released

The KOffice team today released the third minor release of the 1.6 series. As the development focus has shifted to the next major release, this new version was aimed at polishing and fixing bugs. With this new version, three new languages are added to the list of translations: Bulgarian, Low Saxon and Nepali. You can read more about it in the full announcement. A full changelog is also available. Currently, you can download binary packages for Kubuntu and openSUSE.

Comments

Unfortunately due to some bugs Kubuntu feisty does not support low saxon. It is certainly not the only quality problem of that KDE distribution.

By Bert at Fri, 2007/06/08 - 5:00am

koffice-l10n isn't in backports yet. I will probably wait until I have admin rights on the archive sometime
next week before putting it in.

What other 'quality' problems do you have?

By Jonathan Riddell at Fri, 2007/06/08 - 5:00am

Lox saxon does not work at all with Kubuntu because there is no nds language pack. So you also cannot configure low saxon as a language. Other problems? Firefox integration is a mess. Blogger.com login does not work with Konqueror. Same problems for Wikidot. Scanning (I have a Canon Lide25) is broken (because of an kernel USB bug), but commandline tools work though, playing midi files does not work. Printer configuration hangs here and then. And of course a certain amount of crashes I was not used to before.

By Bert at Fri, 2007/06/08 - 5:00am

language-pack-kde-nds-base contains 563 .mo files for Low Saxon, what's the problem with it?

I've never had any problems with logging in to blogger.com it works fine for me, although browser issues are likely to be upstream issues since it's not something that distributions tend to touch.

If you get me bug numbers for the rest I can point the appropriate people towards them.

By Jonathan Riddell at Sun, 2007/06/10 - 5:00am

You cannot install
language-pack-kde-nds
language-pack-kde-nds-base

Bug #54581

it says: Please note that you should install language-support-nds

According to
the dependency language-support-nds is not available

sudo aptitude install language-pack-kde-nds-base
fails to install the package.

via manual download I found out some mirrors seem to have the package, others not, so I downloaded it manually with firefox.

Firefox 2.0.0.4: when I download a file the option "open containing folder" in the download manager does not work at all. With the previous kubuntu it opened that ugly nautilus with the directory. Should be Konqueror or dolphin of course. when you download a file it is very natural that you want to find out where it was saved. currently the only way is to have a look at the properties, then I find our that firefox saved the nds-support package to my wallpaper folder, so I manually open Konqueror to get to that directory.

Now, the package is manually installed.

Same for language-pack-kde-nds_7.04+20070412_all.deb

I forgot, when I take the Firefox download manager with the deb package and select open as an option it gets opened with Ark. Not really what you want. this time the file was downloaded to the desktop folder.

So now I take the system settings. I select langauge setting. I try to select "add language", but Low saxon does not show up and a option. Interestingly the menu features languages that are already installed.

Then we have that confusing other option "Install new language"- the only reaction I get is that these buttons are now made unselectable.

Now I remember there was a tool called Kcontrol. Interestingly Kubuntu does not support it. hmm.

her it tells me I should also install
language-support-nds

Anyway, I also try to manually install that language-pack-nds file. I click on the Czech mirror. firefox is so smart to display that binary file in a window. umm, okay so download as last time.

An ugly gnome file dialogue opens on where to save the file. I select desktop. interestingly the naming proposal of the file is lost then. That really sucks. I hate this Gnome shit but Konqui does not render everything correctly. Try again. So I save again to my wallpaper folder. Use dolphin to check into my wallpaper. folder. Again I install the package manually.

Try again system settings. Unfortunately the window is still grey and I cannot select anything. Close it. Open it again. Add language. Still no low saxon.

Next package: language-support-nds.

Oh, hmm, there is no. Okay. I give up.

By Bert at Sun, 2007/06/10 - 5:00am

You can use Kcontrol in kubuntu, just press alt+F2 en then type: "kcontrol" or "sudo kcontrol" if you need administration rights. But I agree, Firefox integration in kubuntu is a mess, it uses gnome stuff everywhere, but I don't mind as I love konqueror.

By Matthias Logghe at Sun, 2007/06/10 - 5:00am

It doesn't depend on language-support-nds, but it does Recommend on it which is a bug, I've assigned it to the appropriate person.

However you can still apt-get install language-pack-kde-nds-base without problems, if you have an issue try a different mirror.

I can select Low Saxon in both System Settings and KControl and it works fine.

We are working on a .deb install programme for Gutsy.

Firefox being ugly you need to take up with the appropriate team, we only do KDE here.

By Jonathan Riddell at Tue, 2007/06/12 - 5:00am

no, you cannot select it, even when the package is installed. Maybe commandlines work. Who knows.

By ben at Wed, 2007/06/13 - 5:00am

>>"integration is a mess" doesn't tell me much of use, can you point me at bug numbers?

Also, firefox wants to open pdf files with kghostview instead of KPDF.

By patcito at Sun, 2007/06/10 - 5:00am

What I really find nasty is that Kubuntu tries to restore the previous session and that means when you have opend ten pdf files from the net, it will inform you that these files are not available anymore in the temp-folder. Surprise, surprise!

It is very annoying to close all these messageboxes.

By Wolfram Peters at Mon, 2007/06/11 - 5:00am

That is a bug with firefox or whatever browser you use. Every KDE (and I think Gnome too?) application, including the PDF viewers, is able to open the file directly from the net if given the URL. So there's no need to save it in the temp directory.

By Andrei at Mon, 2007/06/11 - 5:00am

> Also, firefox wants to open pdf files with kghostview instead of KPDF.

Probably doesn't use xdg-open

xdg-open would open the user's preferred PDF reader as well as open the preferred file manager when trying to view the download target folder.

You could try installing the xdg-utils package manually and then edit the application associations in about:config

By Kevin Krammer at Mon, 2007/06/11 - 5:00am

Straight out of our build system, reaching updates-testing any time soon:

By Kevin Kofler at Fri, 2007/06/08 - 5:00am

Yay! Thanks, Kevin!

By Boudewijn Rempt at Fri, 2007/06/08 - 5:00am

Thank Rex Dieter for getting it built that fast. :-)

By Kevin Kofler at Sat, 2007/06/09 - 5:00am

They're now in updates-testing, so please get them from there (preferably from a mirror) so you don't saturate the build system's bandwidth. ;-)

By Kevin Kofler at Sat, 2007/06/09 - 5:00am

Now in updates. (The delay was mainly caused by the KDE 3.5.7 update being worked on at the same time, and a KOffice built against 3.5.7 refusing to run with only 3.5.6.)

By Kevin Kofler at Wed, 2007/07/04 - 5:00am

It's now in Gentoo's Portage. Compiling right now.

By reuben at Sat, 2007/06/09 - 5:00am

Compiled? ]:->

By kado at Sat, 2007/06/09 - 5:00am

lol, yes

By reuben at Sun, 2007/06/10 - 5:00am

* Open normal digital camera image with 3-10 Mpixel.
* Do basic sharpening with "unsharp mask" filter
* In the (small!) preview, zoom in to 1:1 display (that's necessary to evaluate the sharpening effect) - bang - Krita becomes unusable slow....

By Max at Sun, 2007/06/10 - 5:00am

In the announcement, Press contacts, it says: "Asia and India". Looks funny. It does NOT say "Europe and Sweden" for example.

By Erik at Mon, 2007/06/11 - 5:00am

Sweden isn't a subcontinent.

By jason at Mon, 2007/06/11 - 5:00am

True, but it's bizarre nonetheless that the continent and a part of it are listed. Asia naturally includes the Indian subcontinent.

By Thiago Macieira at Mon, 2007/06/11 - 5:00am

India isn't a subcontinent but a country. The Indian subcontinent is part of the Asian continent and containts (parts of) the countries Pakistan, India, Nepal and Bangla Desh.

Sweden is a country, part of Scandinavia which is all in Europe. So the original remark is perfectly true.

By Henk at Tue, 2007/06/12 - 5:00am

Oh yeah? Says who? :-)

By Inge Wallin at Tue, 2007/06/12 - 5:00am

Because KDict is a dictionary (client), it helps in education and KDict is one of the Killer Applications KDE has. So, it should be put in Edu or in Utilities or in Office, anyhow, it should be available with Default KDE installation.

KDict is my 3rd most used application in KDE:

1. KTorrent
2. Konqueror
3. KDict
4. SMplayer
5. KWord
6. KPdf

I hope KDict will be available in KDE 4.

"kdict -c" is just superb - select a word and run "kdict -c" for an instant dictionary lookup :) //one can have a .desktop file with the above command too!

By Asif Ali Rizwaan at Mon, 2007/06/11 - 5:00am

Stop complaining and telling others what they have to do, and start coding. Sound harsh? Maybe.

By Vide at Tue, 2007/06/12 - 5:00am

KDict IMHO has basically nothing of educational, it's just a simple tool/utility that finds the definitions of words.
It's something for "everyday usage" more than an educational application.

> anyhow, it should be available with Default KDE installation.
It seems you never cared to look at kdenetwork.

> I hope KDict will be available in KDE 4.
Nope, it won't be in KDE 4.0, as it was unmaintaned for years.
And it won't be in KDE 4.1, 4.2, etc if nobody will work on it, or on a brand new application with KDict's functions.

By Pino Toscano at Tue, 2007/06/12 - 5:00am

KOffice 1.6.3 is at the Arch Linux testing repository.
uploaded at june 09