OCT
2006

KDE Commit-Digest for 15th October 2006

In this week's KDE Commit-Digest: The KDE project celebrates its 10th anniversary. System tray items can now be reordered by the user. Support for action sounds in okular. Work begins on Dynamic Brush architecture and canvas improvements in Krita, with layer handling improvements in Karbon. Krita switches library dependencies from ImageMagick to GraphicsMagick. Memory usage optimisations in the KHTML web rendering engine and Amarok.

Comments

The link to Karbon is broken. It should be changed to http://koffice.kde.org/karbon14/

By Patrick Starr at Mon, 2006/10/16 - 5:00am

Link changed to http://koffice.kde.org/karbon/

Thanks,
Danny

By Danny Allen at Mon, 2006/10/16 - 5:00am

Damn. Posted the wrong link. ;)

By Patrick Starr at Mon, 2006/10/16 - 5:00am

Hi Danny,
I like the new statistics on the commit digest :-) How are you getting the information about the age etc of the developers? I don't mind putting my information on that somewhere, but I don't recall anywhere having that info.

Seems better to just let us tell you than you trying to guess from random google searches or however you are doing it.

John

By JohnFlux at Mon, 2006/10/16 - 5:00am

By Greg M at Mon, 2006/10/16 - 5:00am

To collect the information, I have so far relied on worldwide.kde.org data as a base, which I have been extending with the extra information I would like by asking personally asking people, or using google, etc.

Of course, this is a painfully slow method - your message has prompted me to implement my automated idea, so...

If all KDE contributors (with SVN accounts) who want to be part of this statistics project can follow the instructions at http://commit-digest.org/data/ I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Danny

By Danny Allen at Mon, 2006/10/16 - 5:00am

actually it would great if kde.org had a page with a list of all the contributors with some personal details and a link to their resume (the contributor could select what data to make public) and with there personal svn stats if this is feasible . That would be a great way to find a job :)

By patcito at Tue, 2006/10/17 - 5:00am

Why the switch from ImageMagick?
Having looked at the websites, it seems GraphicsMagick development is stagnating and outdated...
Was it a political decision?

BTW: there's a missing [/a] in the article just after "Amarok" which makes posting from Opera impossible.

By AC at Mon, 2006/10/16 - 5:00am

GraphicsMagick has a much more stable API and ABI -- trying to keep up with the ImageMagick du jour became tiresome a long time ago. GraphicsMagick is also used in only two places: KWord's latex filter and Krita's magick import/export filter -- the filter that handles all the file formats we haven't written code for ourselves. Nowdays it handles xcf, psd, bmp and gif for us, not much more.

By Boudewijn Rempt at Mon, 2006/10/16 - 5:00am

Oh i see now. Thanks for the reply!

By AC at Tue, 2006/10/17 - 5:00am