APR
2007

Qt Apps Community Sites Launched

Some days ago the the community around the web sites KDE-Apps.org, KDE-Look.org, etc launched two new web sites: Qt-Apps.org and Qt-Prop.org.
Both sites will be a home for presenting Qt based applications like kde-apps.org already is for presenting KDE applications. The difference between both new sites is that Qt-Apps will be pure FLOSS only, while Qt-Prop is a home for proprietary software. The launch was done in cooperation with Trolltech.

Comments

Just to please FLOSS lovers and Non-Free users.. QT-apps.org and QT-prop.org is created..

it should have been:

1. qt-apps.org for the unbiased (who would like to see both prop. and free software)
2. qt-free.org for the FLOSS crowd.
3. qt-prop.org for the NON-Free crows ;)

qt-apps.org is unsuitable just for free apps, because qt proprietary is a qt application too!

By Asif Ali Rizwaan at Sun, 2007/04/29 - 5:00am

for me, i would like prefered Linux-app, what's the hell will all those qt, gtk, kdelibs, libgnome.

we want app, we don't care about the toolkit, and we don't care either if it is free or proprietary.

By djouallah mimoune at Sun, 2007/04/29 - 5:00am

I second that. A bit like http://happypenguin.org would be nice. Additionally you could filter FLOSS/proprietary, Qt/GTK/FLTK/OpenGL/Motif/&c. and other stuff.

By Søren Hansen at Sun, 2007/04/29 - 5:00am

I think its good as it is. New community sites do no harm. KDE-apps is a great success. I am however concerned that QT-apps integrate as bad into KDE as do Gnome apps. for instance the use of the top menu bar does not work with Scribus. For a DTP software that apple style menu on top bar really does make sense. I hope that someone would fork the QT-only apps and make KDE ones out of them.

By Andre at Sun, 2007/04/29 - 5:00am

I would think it would be possible for Trolltech to make Qt-apps compile with kde-native support in the same way that they can be compiled with Linux, OSX and MSWindows support.

However, they have probably thought of this already and decided against it. But I would have loved lyx and other qt-apps with proper kde-support. I might even have used Opera again :).

By Dragen at Sun, 2007/04/29 - 5:00am

> for me, i would like prefered Linux-app,
> what's the hell will all those qt, gtk, kdelibs, libgnome.

For me it matters. Being build on KDE means integrates with my desktop, use my other KDE services, reuse my KDE preferences, fonts, icons and color schemes. It means the file open dialog won't suck, help system looks what I know, features are not stripped to death and it'll reuse the kdelibs already loaded (instead of loading new libs). Until cross-desktop standards fix these issues I'll care.

I actually don't like the Gtk/Gnome apps that much, so I prefer to filter. It could apply a filter to the website, or use a separate website. Which one, I don't care, as long as I can exclude some app types.. ;)

Just my $0.02

By Diederik van de... at Sun, 2007/04/29 - 5:00am

Of course we care about the toolkit. Not only about that, but we care about desktop integration and coherency. That's why I use KDE, and at what KDE excels.

By Derek R. at Sun, 2007/04/29 - 5:00am

You're speaking for yourself, and as we've seen from a load of comments from you in the past, you aren't in agreement with a lot of users. Lots of us do care about the toolkit. Lots of us do care about proprietary. For people who don't, wth are you doing using Linux?

By jason at Thu, 2007/05/03 - 5:00am

Personally, I disagree. Some of us take the view that, by default, software should not limit your freedom.

By Lee at Sun, 2007/04/29 - 5:00am

weird thing is, there are Qt only and non-free apps on kde-apps.org. And i agree with the other guy here, too many websites, pretty useless imho. Just confusing...

By superstoned at Sun, 2007/04/29 - 5:00am

They have been asked to move their software out of kde-apps.org
After a short period, all non-kde apps that didn't move itself will be removed.

By whatever noticed at Mon, 2007/04/30 - 5:00am

Great. Now one has to search in three places instead of 1. :(

By testerus at Mon, 2007/04/30 - 5:00am

Or use Google (or preferred search engine) and include these terms in your search: (site:kde-apps.org OR site:qt-apps.org OR site:qt-prop.org)

By matt at Thu, 2007/05/03 - 5:00am

that sounds like effort.

quick, someone set up a fourth site with one of those google search widgets, set to search the other three sites! ;)

By Chani at Sun, 2007/05/20 - 5:00am

Though your suggestion makes sence (qt-apps could aggregate submissions to both sites.. to remove posting redundancy), I think that we should be discouraging proprietary software. Creating the two sites in that manner is doing exactly that. In that line of thought, I wonder why create a qt-prop site at all? Just have qt-apps.org open to FLOSS submissions and leave it at that. I can't imagine qt-prop.org having the same community feel that qt-apps will have (and kde-apps has). There is a fair amount of bug fixing, patches, and new owner maintanence happening in kde-apps that wouldn't be present in a proprietary site.

Vlad

By Vlad at Sun, 2007/04/29 - 5:00am

But let's not forget that (Qt) propietry appslications play a very important role - they provide a source of income for Trolltech! And this as to be a good thing for KDE :-D

By David at Sun, 2007/04/29 - 5:00am

KDE-look and GNOME-look both have proprietary wallpapers, so what's the big deal with qt-prop having proprietary apps?

By Brandybuck at Mon, 2007/04/30 - 5:00am

As in dental floss? RMS is surely turning in his grave at that silly acronym.

By KDE User at Sun, 2007/04/29 - 5:00am

RMS is not dead

By claes at Sun, 2007/04/29 - 5:00am

if he was, he could not turn in his grave ;)

By Andi at Sun, 2007/04/29 - 5:00am

But what is he doing in his grave when he isn't dead? Test-lieing? That's a bit morbid.

By panzi at Sun, 2007/04/29 - 5:00am

touche

By Vlad at Mon, 2007/04/30 - 5:00am

we should not waste money or bandwidth on non-free software!

first thing we should ban non-free content on kde-apps (and for that matter also on kde-look).

splitting the community between qt-apps and kde-apps is not really a great idea i think (you could have marked qt-only-apps on kde-apps a different color...). espiecially since kde-apps will be more portable soon...

anyway getting rid of non-free content on our community sites would be much more important!

By hannes hauswedell at Sun, 2007/04/29 - 5:00am

why this software zelotisme.

By Andre at Sun, 2007/04/29 - 5:00am

It's kinda what sets Linux apart from easier (for most people) to use OSs like Windows and OS X.

By jason at Thu, 2007/05/03 - 5:00am

KDE-Apps features Qt and KDE applications, proprietary and FLOSS. Why the split?

By testerus at Sun, 2007/04/29 - 5:00am

because they can do it ? that's all

By djouallah mimoune at Sun, 2007/04/29 - 5:00am

There are a lot of strong feeling about this idea. Some people are for it. Some people are against it. Some people seem to think RMS spends his time test-running coffins.

I wish people could sit back and look at this discussion (and MANY MANY others) in a broader context.

Freedom is important. It's very important. OTOH, I have a hard time with the obvious anger and passion of the hard-core free-software zealots. Look around the world. Put things into a broader perspective. I'm going to save my passion and vitriol for stopping the war in Iraq (Yes, I'm an American), global poverty, global warming, etc.

In the meantime, I will continue to contribute and participate in the Free Software movement. In time, free software will win because it's rules defy the traditional laws of economics. So relax, make a donation to one more cause, and let's write some kick-ass software.

Peace

By Gunksta at Sun, 2007/04/29 - 5:00am

hello liquidat

sorry for your name coming up red.

any way i am getting great mail.

hope sepeck to you soon.

natalya.

By natalya at Sun, 2007/04/29 - 5:00am

This is a good idea since there are quite a few people out there who believe all QT apps require KDE to be installed. This is a good site to show QT-only apps -- just as we have GTK-only ones.

By Kanwar at Tue, 2007/05/01 - 5:00am

To everyone: see http://bikeshed.org before posting. Thanks.

By logixoul at Sat, 2007/05/05 - 5:00am